May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Cobbhead, Hammergun, Lloyd3), 300 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,071
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Griffon Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello all. I have been doing extensive research on a Sedgley rifle I received from a friend. The reason behind wanting to know the value of the rifle is because I want to sell it. Based on my research I have come to an estimate of my own ($1200-$2100). However, that is a broad range and does not let me price the rifle accurately.

During my research I have come across many forums related to the Sedgley. However, I found this one to have the most informed posters. Unfortunately, it seems the resident expert on Sedgley Rifle's has passed away (rip Michael). So if anyone else here could narrow my estimation down to a more definitive number, I would greatly appreciate it. First, a description of the rifle:

-Custom built R.F. Sedgley .30-06 caliber
-24" sporter barrel with barrel band
-Barrel is stamped "R.F. Sedgley Inc."
-Has the circled "S" proof mark
-Serial number 955 (located on the back of the bolt)
- Walnut stock and a schnable forend in good shape for an old gun
- Custom butt pad
-3 panel cut checkering
-3 position overhead safety
-Claw extractor
-Sling swivels & period sling
-Original Lyman micrometer sights with flip up long range peep
-Approximately 70-75% blue left on the overall rifle (could be more but Im no expert)

I found several similar sold listing. The one that most closely matched mine in terms my build and condition was:

Sedgley Rifle 1

It sold for $1895

The other one I found that was similar was this one:

Sedgley rifle 2

Its pristine condition fetched it $2995. Im attaching the pictures of my rifle. Please let me know what you think. In the picture you will see minor amounts of dust because I forgot to wipe the rifle down beforehand.

[img:center] upload gif[/img]

[img:center] image hosting no account[/img]

free image upload

post images

screen shot pc

image sharing sites

how to print screen on pc

adult photo hosting

upload pics

photo hosting

Last edited by Griffon; 12/29/14 02:16 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Griffon,

For the most part you have a fairly straight rifle and I am assuming the bore is good. The only visible issues are the extra sling swivel up front and the bent aperture insert (might be the photo). I would want to remove the swivel and then there would be a visible plug. It can be done well but will always be visible. As far as value, don't be offended, it is worth what someone will pay. Not a dime more or a dime less. You can get values from everyone here in the end what will someone pay. Set your minimum and the market will set the current value.

Griffon Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

No offense taken at all. I was just looking for a definitive value (if one exists). Whether the value is low or high is irrelevant. Just wanted to make sure I don't list it too high or too low.

In regards to the aperture, it was not screwed in tightly so it leaned in the picture. I just fixed it. Thanks for the reply and the insight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Griffon: I too have far from great news, but all is not lost. I have found Sedgley prices are somewhat depressed at the moment. The highest prices are ALWAYS obtained for all original specimens in mint condition. This is especially true of the harder to find calibers [.22 Hornet 7x57 Mauser etc.]. I have a mint, special order Sedgley Mannlicher Carbine Model, [with shortened action] in 300 Savage, that has brought remarkable offers. The reason I say that prices are low, is I bought an all original standard grade Sedgley with Griffin and Howe side mount and Unertl 4x Hawk scope, for under $800 in excellent/90% condition. The fact your rifle is a 30/06, a Standard Model and "I" believe it has had the stock refinished, extra swivel and recoil pad added, makes it a $750 to $1000 rifle. Also depending on what the earlier poster said; on the buyer's knowledge of the market, the Sedgley itself and just HOW MUCH HE WANTS IT...the last can always add value, where none is obvious. Hold on to it, the prices will come back. HTH Jerry

Griffon Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the detailed answer and narrowing down the price to a smaller range Alvin!

Sidelock
Sidelock

There for several years it seemed to me at least that Sedgleys were stuck at an asking price of $1200, average guns and dogs, while G&H prices increased. I don't know why that price. Then, as the knowledge of Springfield sporters spread (thanks to MP!), the gems started coming out and they drew higher offers. The market seems a bit weak at this time. With that said, when I saw the pics of your rifle, I immediately thought- standard Sedgley, decent condition= $1200. The extra swivel sticks out sorely, but it looks clean overall. I think that is the original butt plate. Its hard to tell from the pics if that is the original stock finish, it looks okay and fits the overall condition of the rifle in the pics, but you are stating a lower metal finish percentage than what I can tell in the pics. It looks like there's a chip out of the schnabel, also. Just my opinion, which may be worth less than AL's above, but, assuming the bore is fine, if mine, I'd run it for $1200 but be prepared to take a bit less. If the wood has been refinished, I'd drop it to $1000 and be prepared to take less. At the end of the day, its a well made Springfield sporter, in a popular caliber, with a Lyman 48. GLWTS.

Last edited by A10ACN; 12/31/14 07:48 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not see the recoil pad. Butt looks original to me. Photographs can lie about guns and their finishes. Maybe it has had some finish added, not at all uncommon. In any case not bad and this will be a good one to keep and use. All the parts are there and no work to do other than the extra swivel. Pretty nice compared to most that you run onto today. The biggest +, no extra holes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry ,I took "Custom Butt Pad" in the spec list to mean recoil pad. I didn't pick the plate up on the pics. My Bad. Let us know when you list so we can keep up , with what it brings. FWIW, I stand by my value and refinish belief. The pores appear much darker than the surface, a sure sign of a refinish. HTH Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

The rear swivel was also replaced but hopefully they used the original hole in the stock. A plus for this rifle is that it has the featherweight barrel.
Dan

Griffon Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Alvin Linden
Sorry ,I took "Custom Butt Pad" in the spec list to mean recoil pad. I didn't pick the plate up on the pics. My Bad. Let us know when you list so we can keep up , with what it brings. FWIW, I stand by my value and refinish belief. The pores appear much darker than the surface, a sure sign of a refinish. HTH Jerry

I will do that. I'm probably going to list it in February because I'm extremely busy this month. I will keep you guys in the loop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.