May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (claydog, dearmer, ClapperZapper, MattH, Silverbow), 1,150 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,510
Posts545,655
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L. Brown #389522 01/06/15 02:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
The visiting Hungarian aristo in "The Shooting Party" wonders why they don't continue with a shoot. "It was only a peasant!" The Lord's granddaughter explains that it was one of THEIR peasants . . . and thus ended a potential romance.

We can always find gun stuff to criticize in movies . . . except maybe in those made by John Milius, who is both a gun nut and seems to pay careful attention. I expect the "made to measure" comment from Fox might have been something the general audience (those who don't know guns) would have found interesting--most of them probably thinking you do that with a suit, but not with guns.

I liked Fox better as General Horrocks, XXX Corps commander, in "A Bridge Too Far"--when he explains to his tankers the plan to arrive "just in the nick of time" to save the beleaguered paratroopers at Arnhem. Missed their schedule by a bit.
One of the two biggest mistakes Ike made as Supreme Commander- approving that friggin' Limey Montgomery's half-vast "Market- Airborne- Garden- Ground troops fiasco- no logistics, poor drop zones, lack of radio communications links between the Limeys, the Canadians, the Polish and both the American 82nd A/B and 101st A/B divisions involved-

The other mistake Ike made, IMO was relieving Patton after he slapped the little coward in a field hospital in Sicily- if Patton had been in full command of all armorer and related support forces after we kicked the Italians and Germans out of Italy, and had planned the Normandy invasion along with Omar Bradley- I believe he would have used a feint at Juno and Sword, passed up the better defended Omaha and Utah beaches, and done what Hitler had planned, with full air cover (which precludes weather delays) to knock out the Panzers- Pas De Calais was the best logistical choice, way closer to the French ports we needed to keep the supply lines going- And Patton and his Chief G-2 Officer, Colonel Koch- who had guessed the Winter 1944 offensive in the Ardennes that lead to the Battle of The Bulge, where we were again (Pearl Harbor w/o the salt water and Navy)caught fat dumb and happy- by the Krauts- would not have happened, and Germany would have possibly surrendered (after killing Hitler) long before May 1945--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
damascus #389524 01/06/15 03:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus

Old Colonel what you are recalling is from this which has one of the closest to a real Edwardian driven shoot scene on film, the filming was done at Knebworth House, Hertfordshire.

Damascus, you are correct, it was a decent film I have watched more than once

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
And how about Lord Muckin'futch and his Yellow Lab "ISIS" talk about politically incorrect, albeit 90 years agone now-- Like having a Alsatian named "Hitler" in Israel!! Oy Vey, already.

I do believe the dog's name relates to the Egyptian goddess Isis from ancient Egypt. A reasonable choice given the actual Earl of Carnarvon's (the owners of the house in real life) association with the King Tut discovery as it's patron

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Downton Abbey in real life is filmed at Highclere Castle but the grouse shooting scene moves to a friend's place which is Alnwick Castle in Northumberland. Quite a lot of Harry Potter stuff was filmed there also. It is the home to the Percy family who are the Dukes of Northumberland. Watch the show through rose tinted spectacles; it may help.

Battle of the Bulge; seen that film as well. Not much historical accuracy there either. As 'far fetched as muck from China' as we would say. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think i liked Edward Fox best in "The Day of the Jackal"

Getting back to depictions of hunting in films or TV, the reality is most of the time the depiction is wrong. That's normal.

It does not bother me as i am used to it and expect it.

What does bother me when supposed sports programs are horrible. I have watched so much terrible dog work and shooting described as good, on flush my preference is simple, shoot the producer, that or the fat bearded fella who won't shut up.

I only feel bad for the dogs.

As for real history shown in hollywood films, only now and then is there true fact, most is drama and art for entertainment.

Last edited by old colonel; 01/06/15 04:15 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed.

Film makers are in the entertainment business, and generally do not make documentaries although there are some movies with accurate historical content.

Most productions suffer from political bias and sloppy research.

'Battle of the Bulge' is an excellent case of both. That's where the diesel tank column rushes to capture a supply of gasoline.

The cluelessness of movie directors is never better shown than when the subject is aviation. Fewer people understand aviation than understand guns.

How about the gangster pistoleros who shoot with the pistol horizontal? Note they never miss.

Hollywood = fantasy, but then so does real life politics and the news reporting thereof.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Julian Fellows, same chap that writes Downton Abbey won an Oscar for Gosford Park in 2002… in it there’s a much more convincing shooting party scene, with pheasants falling stone dead out of the sky and some good dog work as well….parts of it probably filmed at a real shoot.
If you watched the Downton episode with the shoot and paid attention to the credits at the end you would have seen the disclaimer saying that “no animals where harmed during production”
Guess a lot has changed in the last 13 years, obviously there’s a bigger need to be politically correct these days.

all best

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

No way to be politically correct and shoot anything save clay, and I am not sure clay is even acceptable to some loons.

Fortunately most if not all here could care less for modern correctness, however I argue all should strive for traditional manners (I always strive to be the man mother insisted I be, and the hunter my setter expects. Such conduct yields a decent level of toleration from my dear wife.)

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
No way to be politically correct and shoot anything save clay, and I am not sure clay is even acceptable to some loons.

Fortunately most if not all here could care less for modern correctness, however I argue all should strive for traditional manners (I always strive to be the man mother insisted I be, and the hunter my setter expects. Such conduct yields a decent level of toleration from my dear wife.)
Well said, Sir. "The field is the touchstone of the man, indeed" My dogs, all gone now, are dear, my wives, well-that's another story- But as Kipling said so well in his poem about a proposed wedding- "A thousand women like Maggie, are willing to bear the yoke, but a woman's only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke"_ or was it Sigmund Freud???

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

'Battle of the Bulge' is an excellent case of both. That's where the diesel tank column rushes to capture a supply of gasoline.

The only good scene in that movie is when Robert Shaw is reviewing his tank commanders and they sing "Panzerleid". The Germans had good songs.

"Zero Dark Thirty", a mostly very good movie, had the CIA station chief in Pakistan wearing a CIA lapel pin! Most of the Americans know who's CIA and who's not, but you don't advertise--especially since your typical diplomatic installation has a lot of local employees.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.