May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (canvasback, smlekid, FlyChamps, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 290 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,514
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
drduc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Several years ago I bought an English sidelock by Edwinson Greene & Son. In th process of doing some minor repair I removed the locks and discovered the lockmaker is "Jos.Brazier". In my investigation I find that this nomenclature was used on "Best Quality" guns. I have identified the date of mfg. as 1898. The gun is in excellent condition but the barrels may not be original. It is #2 of a set.
Can someone give me an idea of the value of this shotgun? I found one comparable gun in England for the asking price of 10,000 pounds. I have also seen boxlocks from the same mfg for $600.

Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

a bunch of pics and more info is needed. Especially about the barrels. If nitro prooved and in proof with ejectors it is likely worth a fair amount. How much embelishment? wood condition?
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
drduc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is an ejector gun and heavily engraved. The gun is at my 'smith's right now so I can't look up the proofs. If I remember correctly I looked that up about a year ago. It is nitro proofed and it is in proof. The wood is very good and very pretty. The checkering is good.
I may have some pics I took about a year ao I'll try to find them.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is as described, I would venture a guess at 7-10K....pics will help.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
drduc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve, I sent you some pics. Too big to post here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago, I saw and handled an Edwinson Green sidelock that was for sale at one of the NYC area dealers. My initial recollection is that re: quality and workmanship, I rated that gun as an equal to any London made gun of the era. The locks in the gun that you are considering were also provided to the London gunmakers in that same time period.

Sidelock
Sidelock

drduc, sorry, I misread- you now own the gun. My comments still
are valid.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Westley Richards has an E. Green sidelock on their used gun listing for $8950. See how it matches up to your gun.

http://www.westleyrichards.com/gun/used_guns_1.php

drduc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They are very similar. Mine has a beavertail forend and a vent rib barrel. I thought the barrel was not original but looking at the proof marks put it in the BP era as well as later proofs for nitro proofing in London. All are London proof marks.
The locks are things of beauty. They look like watches inside.
The vent rib is so well done and the engraving integrated into the gun that it may well be original. The fellow I bought the gun from made the statement that if the name was not on the sidelock he would say it was a Purdy.
I said mine was #2 but it is #1 of the pair. The chokes are the same as the NY gun. Would be ironic if they were a pair.

Last edited by drduc; 05/12/07 08:20 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.