April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (gunmaker, Vall, Argo44, 1 invisible), 431 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,795
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by Ron Vella; 01/28/15 10:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a lot of variables, but, in my opinion, a scope-sighted, properly regulated and sighted, big-bore double rifle, in the hands of a man who shoots it a lot, and shoots it well, is at least a 300 yard rifle.

This is not conjecture on my part. In Zimbabwe, three years ago, I took my Sable at 208 yards with my self-built double in calibre .450 #2 NE. Had he been at 300 yards, I am confident that the rifle was fully capable.

Three weeks ago, in Texas, I took a Scimitar-Horned Oryx at 154 yards, with my self-built double in calibre 9.3 x 74 Rimmed. Had he been further out there, the same applies.

The key is careful and accurate regulation, and sight-in at a good distance, NOT 50 yards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Purely an observation from me as I have only ever shot thin skinned game in Africa, these animals are not usually dangerous, but the Big Five are something else. The Professional Hunter J.A.Hunter told his clients that were hunting Elephant to get as close to the animal as humanly possible....... Then get five yards closer.

That sounds like very good advice. The graveyards of Africa are filled with tombstones inscribed with remarks like, Killed by Elephant, Buffalo, Lion etc. Don't forget either, no one knows just exactly how they feel when shooting dangerous game for the first time. It isn't unknown for Buck Fever to hit the shooter, no matter how experienced on other game they may be.
Harry.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry my African experience has been almost all looking not shooting. Short side trips around business with borrowed outfits. Its hard to argue with direct experience and I wont however when we are taking normal effective range consider double rifles have been built in many calibers and its the bullet that does the job.

500 gr 45 caliber bullet launched at 2100 fps rifle zeroed at 200 yards is going to be almost 5 inches high at 100, little over 8 inches low at 250. Thats good enough, however add the rifles normal group size and more important sighting error on a game animal 250 is stretching reasonable expectations. If the big 45 moving fast as it will go is sighted for 150 yards you can practically ignore the bullets rise and drop to 200 yards. Hold were you want to hit him. Thats why I say 200 is the practical limit for a well set up 45 caliber rifle.

The 45 at 2100 fps out to 300 yards with a 150 yard zero, drop on target is 25 inches 200 yard zero same velocity drop on target is 18 inches,however that zero makes it very likely you will overshoot shorter targets, given the other variables, most important error in range estimation, sure hit in the field on live game at 300 yards with any of the big 45s is as much luck as anything else.

9.3 is a lot flatter shooting cartridge, drops half as much as the slower 45 caliber bullet at 300 and a much better choice for distance. If distance my personal opinion flat shooting cartridge is the way to go no matter what kind of rifle.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 01/29/15 05:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No argument there, however two things have changed matters in the last few years.

One: The pocket-sized, extremely accurate,laser rangefinder.
Two: Quality telescopic sights with bullet drop compensating turrets.

I'm 71 years old, my eyesight is not what it once was, and all of my double rifles now wear good scopes.

Last edited by Ron Vella; 01/31/15 08:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Boats
Thing that limits range on any big bore is trajectory. Have shot a lot of 45/70 and on game they are 100 yard rifles at best. Bullet drop gets them very soon.
Boats

For iron sights, I agree. Not for a scoped .45-70 Ruger No. 1. My son and I have both taken many deer with Ruger .45-70s. A properly sighted in, scoped .45-70 is more than a 100 yard deer/hog rifle. With 300 gr. FNHP bullets at 2100 fps I have found it to be easily a 150 yard gun, and a good, practiced rifleman can extend that a little under the right circumstances.

Just my experience, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

45/70 can be Loaded two ways modern strong rifle, old weak actions. When I owned a new Marlin 1895 used that samr light bullet fast and it was a 150 yard rifle. Most of my 45/70 experience is black powder at under 1300 FPS.

Bullet drop is linked to lag time how long the bullet is in the air. Mostly velocity some ballistic coefficient. Effect is about any 2100 FPS bullet has the same drop. That means the big 45's have 30/30 Trajectory, or very close to it. Power being another thing.

Boats

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.