May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (skeettx, SKB, smlekid, Sandlapper, Bill Davis, Ian Forrester), 279 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,556
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew posted a punt gun

but i figured the one Tunes posted was a wall gun. Used from fortifications in the 18th century

Sidelock
Sidelock

And still legal to hunt with in dear old England; that is if it's not over 1 3/4" bore. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, to touch off a charge from a punt gun pointed at a group of divers! Bucket list material right there!

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mergus
Oh, to touch off a charge from a punt gun pointed at a group of divers! Bucket list material right there!

Mergus

What do you have against divers? You want to ruin their wet suits?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Large punt next to a new set of Greener barrels thhe punt barrels are 9ft long.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WOW. Thanks Paul, and how are you going to get the barrel in your tank?!?

Any of these still around? smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have in my mind from long ago that there was also, probably in the mid 19th century, a type of gun of more 'normal' bore - perhaps 8, 10 or 12 - but with a very long (60" ??) single barrel. Muzzle loaders, 'normal' looking stock.

These were used for wildfowl rested on flood banks etc in areas like the Norfolk broads, carried into position, and rested on the bank (probably from a hide?) - a bit like a punt gun.

I have seen two examples, one long ago in a private collection now dissipated, the other as a wall hanger in Blair Castle, Blair Atholl, Scotland.

Does anyone know anything more about these? Do they have a particular name?

Thanks,

John

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 02/10/15 01:38 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John I think they were called 'Marsh Rails'. Wentworth-Day mentions them in some of his Fenland and Wildfowling books. I always regret missing one that I could have bought in 8 bore with percussion locks. Great collection of guns on display at Blair Castle; I shall be up there again this August. I used to shoot a two day rifle match there each June on the range owned by Blair Estate at Glen Tilt. The 1,000 yard range there was fun. It is the only range I have shot on where shooting can become suspended due to herds of red deer wanting to wander across or low flying jets coming down the Glen. They put their lights on at the top and shooting would cease until they had gone screaming past. From the firing point we could look down on them. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for that. I don't believe the privately owned one was ever fired by the owner I knew. I do remember him saying it would be a real pig to clean!

I visited Atholl Estates every year for many years for a sporting holiday with friends staying at both Bruar Lodge and Kindrochet Lodge. I have travelled up Glen Tilt many many times and fished the upper part of the Tilt. Lovely part of the world.
John

Boxlock
Boxlock

Punt Gun and Bank Gun....punt is a 2 Gauge, 8 ft long, about 30 lbs, bank gun is 8 Gauge, 7 1/2 ft. long, 20 lbs. Can be shouldered but would certainly need to be rested on a bank when fired.
-Dean
[img:center][img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/h...a8f598e63a93bcb[/img]
[img:center][img]https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...amp;oe=55611C4D[/img] [/img]

Dean Schimetschek
www.JeremiahJohnsonTrading.com
COLLECTOR OF BIG BORE SHOTGUNS
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.