May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Marks_21, 2 invisible), 638 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,605
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This rifle was built by my great-great-great grandfather in New Berlin PA in the early 1800's. His name was Henry, but his son was Charles, the first in a line of Charles's that my son is now included in.
After decades of looking my father found and purchased this rifle and then promptly gave it to me with instructions to "keep it in the family."
CHAZ

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The cool factor is right off the charts!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

We should all have fathers like that!

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just recently completed an appraisal of a very similiar rifle that had decended in the same family for four generations. It took some digging but I was able to come up with some information of the 18th Century builder. These are in every sense heirlooms and well deserve to be preserved and protected.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

very cool.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a family treasure. James Whisker has written several books on gunsmiths from PA in the 1800s, might find mention of him in one. What was Henry's last name?

Sidelock
Sidelock

there are folks on http://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/

that would like to see that and may have some history on your family's gun making

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Norm
What a family treasure. James Whisker has written several books on gunsmiths from PA in the 1800s, might find mention of him in one. What was Henry's last name?

It was Henry Doebler. I was able to find a little information online, thanks to a few local enthusiasts.

One gentleman from my town builds first rate reproductions of guns from this era, I have considered having him build a replica for me to hunt with.

I will join the longrifle forum and post pictures as soon as I get a chance. Thank you for the link.

CHAZ

Last edited by Hoof; 02/12/15 10:16 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
One gentleman from my town builds first rate reproductions of guns from this era, I have considered having him build a replica for me to hunt with.

CHAZ, if I'm not mistaken I thought you liked to take a hands-on approach to your guns. Why don't you build a replica yourself? You could purchase a kit and then tweek it heavily to compare with the gun you have. You could farm out machine work but do the stock work, fitting and metal inlaying yourself. For instance that beautiful copper/brass metalwork on the stock could be cut out from copper/brass sheet metal with a jewelers saw and some careful filing and then inlaid into the stock. Whatthehell apparently you have some gunsmithing in your family genes.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice old rifle. Do you know the caliber?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.