March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Kip, Sandlapper, old colonel, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 764 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone have a drawing or photo of the mechanical extractor system on this type of Pape with non-rebounding hammers? The mechanical retractors on mine no longer work (I need help from gravity) and I am wondering whether it would be a big deal for a gunsmith to get them working again. Any ideas? Any gunsmiths here in the U.S. that you think are specially good at working on Papes?

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your firing pins are not self-retracting. There is no mechanism there to do this.
The pins used to be pushed back by the small carved out loops in the extractor face as the gun was broken open.
This operation may be made good again or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to see but it looks like there is a grove on the inside of the hammer .On the striker there was an extension with a peg that located in the grove .Mine was trial and error and took a lot of bad language to get it right as I had no pattern to copy .It is no wonder that Pape abandoned the idea as it dose have IMHO built in complications and weakness .
As to drawings I would doubt if there are any in existence and I would hazard a guess that the originals were little more than a sketch.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this helpful ? 1870 Patent

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/06/15 04:47 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks very much, Daryl. I am not at all mechanical, but the text talks about the arm (B) preventing the firing pin from moving forward. It does not talk about the arm moving the firing pin back into the breach face. Why couldn't the same arm (B) do both functions, retracting and then blocking? Am I reading the text right?

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not think that this is the same as the gun Rich shows ,only way to be sure is to take the locks out and look .
There were hundreds of patents taken out many of which were never use or used in very small numbers some which never really worked or only provisional patents were taken so it became public property after 3 years so no need to have outlandish mechanisms to do a simple job as there were better ideas to use .
Long story but I had a gun which I am convinced was prototype as I have never seen anything quite like it nor had several other people all experience gunsmiths . It appeared to have been modified several times since it was made [I guess about 1880/85] so it was hard to see what was original and what was not .
In this Pape's case I am guessing that the strikers have been modified or replaced because of problems/weakness with original design .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to Gunman, Daryl and Justin for the observations and experience. I appreciate these responses. I think I will stop worrying about it and just rely on gravity to get the firing pins back in the breach face! Many thanks.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman, here's a pic of the strikers that were made as extras for Richard's Pape. Any thought you may have would be appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Brewster,
You will find this URL enlightening, it shows your shotgun in the serial range built in 1873 or 1874. See :-
http://www.wrpape.co.uk/4.html
The records are held by Bagnall and Kirkwood 28 Grey Street, Newcastle upon Tyne. Bagnall & Kirkwood both worked in Pape's work and retail shop just a couple of hundred yards from the current location of the present retail shop. A potted history of the company is also to be found on the same URL. The Pape records have not, as far as I aware ever been sold. I saw them many times during the 1960's and 70's when I frequented the shop on a regular basis. If you Google the name you will find other information of the current shop and their lines stocked. Sadly English made shotguns are not amongst them unless they are guns made years ago.
Harry Eales.

Last edited by Harry Eales; 03/08/15 03:22 AM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dear Mr. Eales,
I exchanged emails with Claire Guthrie of Bagnall & Kirkwood in February. Sadly, she told me that the W.R. Pape records are not owned by B&K and were auctioned off "ages ago". Unfortunately, the bidding was very steep and B&K was not the winning bidder. They do not know where they are now. It would be a great help for collectors to have access to this resource. For a reasonable fee the custodian could provide the relevant information for a particular gun.

Rich
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.