May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, WJW, Kip, 2 invisible), 1,038 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,666
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

looks better than new....all the work you put into her would of run $2000 at a smiths and in most cases would not of been near the same quality.....I was quoted 350 to 400 just to put in a stock oval....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice work. Your garden is beautiful, by the way. Hope the shoulder heals to the point where you can use it, and, don't be like an excited schoolboy, and try to push that date to before you should. TIme heals all, it just takes more of it, in older guys.

Good Luck.

Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll guarantee you that's the best looking Baikal most of us will ever see.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Outstanding work, Damascus. Very nice job indeed.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted I am not sure about the shop rules on posting non gun related photographs but I don’t mind having my knuckles rapt for a couple of photographs.
I would like to say it was all my own work and that would truly be a lie in reality I married the “Gardener” I just do the land scape work.
I have been lucky to live in a small quiet Cheshire Village for some forty years with this view but the world does not stand still and Brit land is a very small Island. Now over the last three years there has been a massive boom in house building in the countryside and unfortunately my village has been caught in the middle of it. So the view is going to go as are the cows they are not mine but that was what Cheshire fields once looked like before we joined the d*m “European Union” and milk quotas where introduced and the cows disappeared first and they call it progress.

I am now beginning not to believe that an English garden is a sort of a recompense for living with such foul Brit Maritime weather.
Though I do feel the saying “if you do have a God you are closer him in a garden” still holds true just, when you sit on the bench and listen to the sound of the country that will soon disappear for ever.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Grand job you have done their Damascus hope your shoulder has the speediest of recoveries.

Sorry to hear about the development i know the feeling Damascus.

I have been in my village for 15 years now and in the last five the farm, buildings, and keepers house have been sold and done up, houses are being built on land that was previously left due to gypsum. There was a useless but amenable little paddock in the village which is probably no more than two acres, and that now has a development and eight houses shoe horned into it. Our sewer infrastructure and roads can not cope with this kind of development but there is no sign of the local council addressing these problems which already cause issues for residents.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful work Damascus. It's amazing the wood that you can find hiding under factory finishes. Beautiful garden too, thanks for sharing.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
bls Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done. Would love to see a separate thread/tutorial posted by you on how you came to get such nice finish on the wood and pull some character out of the gun's stock.
Also to learn more about the process of fitting that oval.

Very impressed. Thank you for sharing.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bls I do think that the subject of stock finishes and how to finish a gun stock are subjects that have been practically talked to death on this forum. Also it always seems to come over as this is the way it is done dictatorial!! And as we Brits are Guests on this site the last thing that is needed is some Brit going over the same old ground extolling the virtues of this is the way we Brits put finishes on gun stocks in the Victorian Edwardian period. Also the method and finish I use is a take on the traditional finishing system I have worked on over time but the one thing the finish being as near as traditional as are modern times will allow needs a lot of time to do correctly, and these days people want things done by yesterday!!!
Back to the stock, this is a photograph of the stock nearing the end of the finish process taken with a low light angle so that you can see the woods figuring I managed to bring out.
Though I will do a how to do it if it is not going to be, not this D*M!! Subject again!! Though it will have to be a little time in the future because “she who must be obeyed” has rather a lot of summer chores for me to catch up with.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful woodwork, wonderful garden. I have used the "silver coin" method of creating inlaid stock decorations. I needed a rather large disk, so hammered a US fifty cent piece into the exact size I needed. It worked very well and looks like a three hundred dollar gunsmith project. It probably took me an hour, start to finish. Fortunately, the wood was already inletted for a missing plate.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.