May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (David Williamson, gil russell, Lloyd3, graybeardtmm3, SKB, 1 invisible), 252 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,555
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

H47,
Welcome to the forum, and you are correct, those red fluted chisels are from T-dad. I made them in "89"as part of Ed Shulin's stockmaking class. (in "73" I was still trying to figure out how not to fall of a tricycle,although I no a guy from Montana that made a nice set there in the "70's"). As I remember Ed had a box of that fluted handle material,red and blue, it was in 3 foot lengths and you could just chop of a piece, shape and install right there on a lathe in the stock making shop.
I have about 60 strait chisels and gouges collected over the years but the only scrapers I have are the one's made in Ed's class. I have never seen them commercially made for sale.
Here's a pic of the original set.

H47 Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

I thought so.. to go that long and still be using the same handle stock, Shulin must have had a couple of truckloads stashed. I've got a few screwdrivers using the same stuff too. And it looks like the same forging dies and mandrels for the gouges. Just imagine the number of students beating on those things and trying to wear them out, and them still working after all those years.

So think of Ed Shulin's chisels as kind of a "secret handshake" ... you know about them only if you've been there. smile I remember in my class we had a guy who got so obsessed with making his chisels that he never did get his stock done. Looking back those were a couple of the best years of my life.

I do envy you guys who kept up and stayed with it. I've always loved it and done a little but never to the levels I see here. Family and starvation took me on another route. But hey, it is what it is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A "secret handshake" is a good way to put it, Ed Shulin was a great guy and really enjoyed teaching.
Some of the students in my class did a good job of the chisel making detail, one guy had his set polished almost mirror bright and then used fancy walnut with 20 bore brass as ferrules for the handles!!!!!
I also envy the guy's that stuck with. For me, the 8% interest Sallie Mae "student loans"(?)I had to pay back sent me on a different path, plus I couldn't find any good paying employment in the trade at the time. I think it has always been a hard business to succeed at, financially.

H47 Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Well I don't feel all alone then. A good friend from there with whom I've kept up over time once told me that I would be amazed at the number of somewhat well-known smiths who are supported by significant others or have other jobs or resources where they get their income. So yes I guess it's a hard way to go. All the more respect for those who did do it. And no disrespect for the others doing good things who just happen to be part time.

I think you just have to do it for the love of it anyway, and whatever follows just follows.

Last edited by H47; 04/26/15 05:02 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.