May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ken Nelson, LGF, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,084
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the most worthwhile advice I've ever read. Thanks, folks.

I've gone through the restoring thing twice now with good fly rods - a prewar Payne and, still at the craftsman, a very early Heddon #13. It's a pain in the ass. I'm not underwater on the Payne but I'm way under on the Heddon. The only reason I sent it out was the brook trout decal - exceptionally rare and 100%. And I've got my Trojan out for needed work - prior owner hot-blued the barrels and the top rib sprang.

Lately, I've been going back and forth on a 12 ga DH. If I could beat the seller down another couple hundred (he paid too much on his buy) I might go for it, assuming the barrels measure out as safe. It's a rattler, will need a total re-do and, frankly, I don't need another 12 ga. Hell, I don't need any more shotguns. But the damn thing speaks to me, and that's dangerous to my wallet. When it talks it's both fear that someone will part it out or something and "hey - I'm a DH and you really want one and both you and I know it".

I'd love to be able to do my own work on guns. But work says I don't have the time to do it, don't have the time to learn how to do it, and probably don't have the talent. So that means I keep professionals in business or don't do it at all. And the fear of the pricetag for that work might be the only thing keeping me in check.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 04/30/15 11:07 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't expect others to take my ten lessons as advise or even to heed them myself. But you have been warned. I love buying, shooting and tinkering with guns of all types. I have pump guns, semi autos, single barrel, double barrel, O/U and even a bolt action goose gun. I use most of them. I love them all. I load everything from 10 to .410 just so I can shoot more often.

Projects better be a labor of love or they become a hated thing that just drags on forever. Guns are like popcorn to me. One never is enough. So enjoy them like I do just go into it with both eyes open and a full checkbook.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where were you $10,000 ago?!?!
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
buying old guns is fun...

fixing them up at reasonable cost is satisfying...

selling old guns for modest profit is more fun...

depositing checks is also satisfying...

let make a deal...

For Ed "reasonable cost" is just a little torch fuel,"depositing checks " is internet/long distance only sales to find some buyer that doesn't know better and some pics that hide the defects,
What a business model.

Ed you should really hang it up,your not doing the guns, or the suckers you sell to ANY favors !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

dave k wheeler: guess you did not get the memo.

thread hijacking, negative assumptions, lies and personal attacks are no longer tolerated here.

and to illustrate how inappropriate is your post above, here is my latest feedback from gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewUserFeedback.aspx?User=128526

1537 and counting...

and we were having such a good time here...too bad a malcontent had to spoil it.

Last edited by ed good; 05/01/15 09:08 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lesson number 11
11) Never, ever buy a gun from some clown who types his adds in ALL CAPS and uses what appears to be butter knifes for screwdrivers and a torch !

Hillary For Prison 2018
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
Where were you $10,000 ago?!?!
CHAZ

Consider yourself to be lucky. I've got more than that much in projects. But you are right had someone told me to stay away from project guns I would be way ahead of the game. Sad to say I like projects and seeing them brought back to life. Still it helps all of us to see others make the same or worse mistakes than we make.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY: sorry your fine thread continues to be trashed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

#12, Check out the sellers return policy ,if it says something like "I know what I am doing and you better too or else",RUN !

here is the great "it works for me" return policy

Here is a good example:

Ed Goods Bogus Return Policy

"This was posted recently on another forum that I browse.

"posted 12 December 2013 23:52
If you're into older SxS shotguns, I have a head's up. Ed Good in NH is an appraiser, and lists many older classic SxS shotguns on Gun Broker. I bought a vintage SxS from this company, but when I mounted the barrels, they were loose. I tried to return it, but was told that since the action is tight when the forend is attached, it is "shootable", and no return would be accepted. The forend is a part of the action's lock-up (???). I sent him several articles on checking a SxS for wear looseness just as I had done, and he said that was a matter of opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if most of his listings are beater guns, waiting for sale with no chance of return, to become someone else's headache. Steer clear.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

and trashed again.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.