April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, R. Glenz), 365 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,170
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The complete story, with additions, will be out in my new book Double Guns and Custom Gunsmithing in September 07 from Countrysport Press.
I'm scheduled to introduce the new title at the Vintage Cup, Pintail Point MD, 9/07
I very much look forward to meeting each of you there to personally inscribe books.
It's a rare thing for me to leave nearly perfect Montana in September!
BTW, I've seen Permalyn sealer soak clean through a thin forend into the barrel channel.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 05/23/07 01:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

After viewing Joe Balicki's video on stock finishing a few years ago, I finished a couple of shotguns with Permalyn sealer. One was a field gun and one a target O/U. I got acceptably beautiful results, and the game gun, which got carried a lot under tough conditions and shot all too little, fared well. It gets refreshed after every season and looks as good as all my others.

The comp gun doesn't get as much exposure to the weather and none to briars, but it gets cheeked an average of 300 times a week year 'round. I quickly found that the oil in my skin passes through Permalyn like water through a sock. In short order there appeared a big dark oval on the comb of my honey-colored CA English stock. Eventually, I stripped it, extracted it with solvent and refinished it completely with Permalyn a second time. The problem recurred.

I refinished it with Waterlox and it's impervious to the oil. Couldn't resist my usual plug, since I've actually finsihed stocks with about every commercial finish available...TruOil, Permalyn, Formbys, ProCustom, Pilkingtons, Linspeed, Napiers...

They're all good products and any will do 98% of what I expect from a stock finish. It's the last 2% that separates the top 4 or 5 for me and Waterlox wins hands down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I recall your photos of that gun. I think you have either an unusual piece of wood or an unusual skin chemistry. I have not had your experience with Permalyn on my .22 low wall which gets "cheeked" many thousands of times per year (I use it in competition).

Seems odd, but I've never heard or seen anything like what you have experienced with that gun.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,
That recipe I put up was to specifically emulate the factory satin finish.

And I as much as I don't like change, I'm prolly gonna to take Mike's suggestion on the Waterlox. In Mike's excellent how-to he explained the tedious process I go through as unnecessary if using Waterlox (middle coats of XYZ, topcoats of ZX, Pumice, topcoat YZ, blah, blah). The finish he's getting is what I generally want and get, but it the Waterlox method is much more direct route.
And though touching up guns hasn't been a hassle, I like the idea of no different layers in the finish.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Yeti
Dave,
In Mike's excellent how-to he explained the tedious process I go through as unnecessary if using Waterlox (middle coats of XYZ, topcoats of ZX, Pumice, topcoat YZ, blah, blah). The finish he's getting is what I generally want and get, but it the Waterlox method is much more direct route.

Does anyone have a copy of a link to Mikes how-to? I recall seeing it but can't find it. I'm fast growing a collection of MC "how-to's"!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two of Mike's excellent how-to's:
FINISHING

CHECKERING

Dave, to save a thread to your PC, go up to Topic Options tab, go to Print Topic, then Intrnet Explorer File>Save

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sweetness and light, thanks!! Got the checkering one already, but missed the other.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you go to my site here under advertizers, click on my article on finishing techniques. Of course there is oil in wood finishing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OB,
I tend to agree with your assessement of the penetration. I have some limited experience with the impregnated wood stuff. We used some of this for making model airplane props for a formula 1 race plane. I believe the impregnated wood we used was for electrical insulation applications. Also, Browning dabbled with similar impregnated wood for the Challenger pistol grips.

I'm suspicious that the best of the 'in-the-wood' finishing techniques may only penetrate the finish solids to a depth measured in thousandths of an inch, similar to casehardening. Sectioning a sample block that has been finished in your favorite method will tell, I suppose.

Chuck: Some time back, we had a long string on Dan Lefevers original finishing method. If this method is used, the finish penetrates the wood at least 1/16", that more than a few thousanths.. MDC

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.