May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (R Reynolds, Jimmy W, Jtplumb), 805 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gents,My Great Grand Father fought in Durells Battery D Pa. Volunteer Artillery. They fought atSouth Mt.,Antietam . and every other major battle of the Army Of The Potomac.He would spit in the face of anyone that would suppsort taking down the Confederate Battle Flag. By the he did not do it to free any damn slaves. Like many others his age he did for adventure , That soon became fight to survive. I learned most of this from my Mother telling his stories after the War.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding the issue of Grant's ownership of slaves, my point is that if a few minutes of Googling debunks the opening sentence of the article, the rest of the article should be given the same scrutiny. There are so many inflammatory(sp?) articles being published and statements being made, it behooves us all to investigate them and point out when they are in error.

As to tearing down the Confederate flag, Louis Farrakhan thinks that is not a step far enough.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/06/2...ican-flag-down/

Jim H.
ed good #408197 06/25/15 11:09 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

JC, I completely acknowledge the point you make. Propaganda is propaganda and if you just accept it without thinking it will invariably lead you astray. My only concern with what you posted previously was that it appeared to be just more propaganda and debunked nothing.

As far as Farrakhan goes, well at least you always know where he's coming from...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fact of Grant's slave ownership is widely known and the article I linked to can be easily fact checked. The ownership has never been covered up. Grant managed his father inlaw's farm starting in 1854. At some point, the slave was deeded over to him. Grant signed the paper of manumission in 1859. Some of the circumstances may be unclear, but the slave was freed by Grant.

The quotation you presented is factually incorrect. Grant did not own slaves, plural, and did not retain ownership beyond the Civil War.

Jim H.
ed good #408210 06/25/15 01:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK...Geo

ed good #408211 06/25/15 01:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

But Grant's wife did own slaves. And she retained ownership of her slaves until slavery became illegal in the state she resided in. I assume that General Grant resided with her when he was home.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Mike, aside from members' apologia for US slavery above, I don't think guilt should be an issue on either side because later generations learned from it and made amends and are continuing to do so. A casual observer of your posts would recognize that you're not half guilty.

King, you compulsive liar, show us where anyone here made an excuse for their own conduct pertaining to the ownership of slaves in the U.S.

That was over 150 years ago, and so far as we know, no one here was alive, and no-one here in Misfires had slave owning ancestors. Well, you may have been alive back then... I'm surprised you haven't claimed to be a close friend of Methuselah.

You, on the other hand, cannot and will not even acknowledge the fact that blacks both sold and owned slaves, and that there is more human trafficking on earth today than at any other time in history.

Are you so agenda driven in your quest to blame whites of today for sins of the distant past that you feel compelled to tell lies and make an ass of yourself? Never mind, you have already answered that countless times.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So what....this some more of your liberal bull.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike

I am only half guilty.

Both of my paternal great-grandfathers fought in the Army of Northern Aggression. My maternal great-grandfathers fought in the Army of the Rebellion.

It was obvious to me you were of yankee linage..

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Mike, aside from members' apologia for US slavery above, I don't think guilt should be an issue on either side because later generations learned from it and made amends and are continuing to do so. A casual observer of your posts would recognize that you're not half guilty.

His sick brain needs consoling King...and your just the one to do it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
But Grant's wife did own slaves. And she retained ownership of her slaves until slavery became illegal in the state she resided in. I assume that General Grant resided with her when he was home.

Mike, I expect that you know what an "indentured servant" is. We don't have that anymore in the USA as it went out with slavery. It involved an enforceable contract for personal service for a certain period of time. It was often utilized by penniless emigrants as a way to get started in our country back in the 19th century and before. I expect that is what HoJO had in mind a few posts back when he suggested that there were as many white slaves as black in antebellum America.

Indentured servitude was also one of the ways that a slave could be "freed" providing that the owner consented and the price of the indenture was agreeable to the old master and the new 'employer'. The process was that the slave was manumitted so as to be competent to contract on his or her own account and then entered into the indentured servitude contract for a term agreeable between the parties and for a price (either payable in cash or in agreed payments over the term of the servitude) which was payable to the old master as consideration for the loss (sale) of his property.

That appears to have been what took place when U.S.Grant "freed" his slave in 1859. No one knows, but I think it is likely that Grant was paid for his slave all through the civil war.

And that is all I know about the subject of indentured servitude...Geo

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.