March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, FlyChamps, cpa, Dan S. W., Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 807 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I pursue this in court I would prefer to have at least two experts statements saying that the barrels just are not what they were sold to be.
Unlikely to get a judge that also a knowledgeable doublegun aficionado. I don't need the expert to convince me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pls keep in mind that the purpose of an expert witness is to assist the finder of fact (jury, or judge in a trial without a jury) by providing information on a specialized area of knowledge. The Rule of Evidence (one version of it, anyway) on experts reads like this:
Quote:
If scientific, technical or other specialized knowledge will assist the trier of fact to understand the evidence or to determine a fact in issue, a witness qualified as an expert by knowledge, skill, experience, training or education may testify thereto in the form of an opinion or otherwise.

In this instance, the Man Who Wrote The Book on Ithacas would be almost certain to be qualified as an expert. There are probably others, too.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beware trying to present a written opinion in place of a live witness for your expert testimony...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

small claims court....both sides just tell their stories and show pertinent evidence and the judge decides....no fuss, no muss, no lawyers.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunut
small claims court....both sides just tell their stories and show pertinent evidence and the judge decides....no fuss, no muss, no lawyers.....

Depends on the Judge and whether the other party shows up with a mouthpiece which he has every right to do. This ain't "Judge Judy" on the TV...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep in mind also that once you sue somebody in another State you become subject to the jurisdiction of the Court there, and subject to a counterclaim...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Still wanta play?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Beware trying to present a written opinion in place of a live witness for your expert testimony...Geo

Concur wholeheartedly. I mentioned that way, way upthread, as well as the expensive nature of shipping experts around.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, I'm kinda curious as to what conceivable counter-claim the seller in a case like this could file? And if it is actually necessary to have an expert witness present in lieu of a sworn notarized affidavit, are the costs of getting him to court recoverable as part of the damages?

About 20 years ago, I got screwed out of $40 on book order. When I didn't receive my order, I called and complained. I was told the company was in bankruptcy. Long story short, I told the guy that my brother lived in Houston and when I took my vacation there, I would be paying him a visit to get my 40 bucks one way or another. Let's just say my tone and language was less that civil. A week later, there was a refund in my mailbox. Sometimes extreme measures are helpful. I don't even have a brother.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

keith, who knows what some shyster local mouthpiece, who likely plays golf with the Small Claims Court Judge, might come up with? Perhaps libel, I don't know. Those guys are tricky!

The problem with an affidavit is the right of any defendant to cross examine an opposing witness, expert or not. So, yes the expert's gotta be there.

A good bluff will get you a long ways sometimes, might also get you locked up...Geo

Please understand, I really feel sorry for Mr. Lowe, he seems like a nice guy who got cheated from the information I have seen here. I just hate to see him get goaded into doing something foolish which just makes his experience worse.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.