April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Skeeterbd, ClapperZapper, Lloyd3, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 971 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,114
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Pressure is immaterial. Let me say that another way....whether it's 11,500 psi or 5,500 psi doesn't make one iota of difference to the gun. If anyone is inclined to disagree, I'd like to hear the hear the scientific argument.

Try that 11,500 psi down where the barrel walls are .025" thick & then tell me it doesn't make any difference.
In the context of which "I Think" you meant it I agree, it doesn't matter.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

my concern isn't recoil. It is the beating the gun takes.
I understand recoil is a factor specially when it comes to the wood standing up.
I just want to go easy on the gun. I am not afraid of a blow up or anything else. I have been at this for a while myself . I wanted technical input on operating pressures.
looking for whatever is similar to the RST lites in 2 1/2" without the cost. I don't handload at this time.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell
That the best you can do, Larry?

A little sophomoric to take "immaterial" out of context, even though I qualified it.

Mike, your words. You didn't say that pressure was immaterial "in a different way". You said something almost totally different, referring to SPECIFIC pressure levels. If you'd left off that first sentence, I wouldn't have bothered responding. I doubt 11,500 psi chamber pressure would do anything bad to a Fox, assuming good condition.

Brian, RST will provide pressures if you ask them. Not sure about Fiocchi, but doubtful a load that light and at that velocity would present a pressure issue for your gun. I'd guess well below standard SAAMI 20ga pressure level.

Last edited by L. Brown; 07/04/15 07:02 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Quote:
Pressure is immaterial. Let me say that another way....whether it's 11,500 psi or 5,500 psi doesn't make one iota of difference to the gun. If anyone is inclined to disagree, I'd like to hear the hear the scientific argument.

Try that 11,500 psi down where the barrel walls are .025" thick & then tell me it doesn't make any difference.
In the context of which "I Think" you meant it I agree, it doesn't matter.

Due to the time/pressure curve, that 11,500 psi is no longer 11,500 psi once it gets to a point in the barrel that is .025" thick. Chamber pressure peaks at (roughly) the chamber mouth and drops rapidly as the shot column moves down the bore.

Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

but doubtful a load that light and at that velocity would present a pressure issue for your gun. I'd guess well below standard SAAMI 20ga pressure level.

You might want to check that doubtfulness. The chamber pressure of a shotshell can NOT be extrapolated from payload weight and velocity. Claybuster alone lists at least half a dozen 3/4 ounce, 1100-1200 FPS loads for the 20 ga that well exceed 11000 psi.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said, Dewy Vicknair. I knew from studying your work that you're a patient man. smile

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dewey Vicknair
Originally Posted By: L. Brown

but doubtful a load that light and at that velocity would present a pressure issue for your gun. I'd guess well below standard SAAMI 20ga pressure level.

You might want to check that doubtfulness. The chamber pressure of a shotshell can NOT be extrapolated from payload weight and velocity. Claybuster alone lists at least half a dozen 3/4 ounce, 1100-1200 FPS loads for the 20 ga that well exceed 11000 psi.

Nothing listed for guns in the States is going to exceed 11,500 psi by much, because 12,000 psi is the SAAMI service pressure standard for the 20ga. A shotshell manufacturer wouldn't want to cross over into that territory . . . just in case there were a catastrophic failure with their ammo.

Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

I'm out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.