May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (montenegrin, Chantry, ClapperZapper), 306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,713
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#40984 05/24/07 04:46 PM
Newlyn1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am a fairly avid reader and I especially enjoy novels with a "sporting" aspect to them. Unfortunately, I am running out of ideas for new books to read so I thought I would start a recommended reading thread.

What I am looking for are novels with some sort of connection to shooting, hunting, fishing, outdoors, etc.. The books do not have to be all, or even primarily, related to sporting themes, but should touch on them in some way. For example, I recently finished Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, which has only a few hunting scenes but which would be appreciated by any hunter because it is all about old vs. new ways, rural vs. city, etc.. (BTW, I highly recommend Anna Karenina and War and Peace to all. Who knew that 800 and 1600 page novels, respectively, could be gripping page-turners?.)

There are, of course, many "how to" books, technicanna, etc., but I am looking for pure entertainment reading. Recommendations do not need to be pure fiction, for example Capstick's Death in the Long Grass was a great book filled with stories, but I am looking for books that are primarily story, written for entertainment, not instruction.

To get the list going, here are my suggestions:
- Tolstoy, Anna Karenina (some hunting, appreciation of rural life, etc.)
- Capstik, Death in the Long Grass (collection of accounts and some "how to" on Safarai hunting in Africa)
- Hemingway, Green Hills of Africa (more Safari hunting)
- Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls (no hunting, but lots of outdoors and shooting)
- Hemingway ... Okay, just about all Hemingway.
- The hunting and exploring adventures of Theodore Roosevelt (this one was just so-so)

Your recommendations are appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shruged".......

Note in it the use of privately held firearms in defence of freedom.

And of course pay close attention to the who scope of her seminal work on what free men should be...........!!

Along with Freidrich Hayek's, "The Road to SUrfdon", it one of the most important works on freedom in the last 100 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Should find something here you'd enjoy
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Bear - William Faulkner, my favorite hunting story of all time.
Daniel Boone - John Faragher, a wonderful bio of the greatest hunter and worst businessman.
Uhuru - Robert Ruark, fictional account of the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya, bloody good.
The Skinner's Tale - Charles Nicholson, modern southern hunting in black and white.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammond, Gerald The Executor St. Martin's 1986
Hammond, Gerald Sauce For the Pigeon St. Martin's 1989
Hammond, Gerald Pursuit Of Arms St. Martin's 1985
Hammond, Gerald Silver City Scandal St. Martin's 1987
Hammond, Gerald Cousin Once Removed St. Martin's 1984
Hammond, Gerald The Revenge Game St. Martin's 1984
Hammond, Gerald The Game St. Martin's 1982
Hammond, Gerald Doghouse St. Martin's 1992
Hammond, Gerald Dog in the Dark St. Martin's 1990
Hammond, Gerald Adverse Report St. Martin's 1987
Hammond, Gerald Fair Game St. Martin's 1983
Hammond, Gerald Whose Dog Are You St. Martin's 1991
Hammond, Gerald Dog in the Dark St. Martin's 1989
Hammond, Gerald Stray Shot St. Martin's 1988
Hammond, Gerald The Worried Widow St. Martin's 1989
Hammond, Gerald Hook or Crook St. Martin's 1995
Hammond, Gerald Carriage of Justice St Martin's 1995
Hammond, Gerald Home to Roost St. Martin's 1990
Hammond, Gerald The Reward Game MacMillian 1980
Hammond, Gerald Sting in the Tail St. Martin's 1995
Hammond, Gerald Let us Pray St. Martin's 1990
Hammond, Gerald Snatch Crop St. Martin's 1991
Hammond, Gerald A Brace of Skeet St. Martin's 1991
Hammond, Gerald In Camera St. Martin's 1989

Stewart Edward White
“The Land of Footprints” Doubleday 1913 & "The Rediscovered Country” Doubleday 1915.

Last edited by Michael Petrov; 05/24/07 05:33 PM.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Novels by the late Robert F. Jones, former Shooting Sportsman columnist (and staff Sports Illustrated, Time):
Blood Sport
Slade's Glacier
Diamond Bogo
Those are the titles with the most hunting. All his books have some hunting and are wonderful adventure stories, all OP! Try your local library.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fishdock
Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shruged".......

Note in it the use of privately held firearms in defence of freedom.

And of course pay close attention to the who scope of her seminal work on what free men should be...........!!

You can't read Atlas Shrugged without The Fountainhead, Anthem, and We the Living, but hey, who is John Galt?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I shall never live for the sake of another man, nor ask him to live for mine."

Anything by Nash Buckingham. All written in the 40's, 50's and early 60's. "The Shoot'n's Gentleman" probably not spelled right but good tale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack O'Connor, particularly "Horse and Buggy West", about Jack's Arizona and the early 1900's.

If Africa is your cup of tea try the early Wilbur Smith Novels.

Last edited by jjwag69; 05/25/07 10:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael Petrov nailed it. The Gerald Hammond series deals with adventures of two different protagonists, both Brits, one a gunsmith, gundealer, antiquarian firearms expert; and the other former military invalided out and dog trainer. Regrettably, he has stopped writing on either series.

An amusing series is by Nevada Barr. She details the adventures of a woman Fish and Wildlife Services warden. Also found in paperback.

Both of these can be bought used and reasonably cheaply on http://www.bookfinder.com, just pay attention to the shipping charges.

Regards

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.