May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, bushveld, FlyChamps, SKB), 733 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,511
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#41527 05/29/07 07:33 AM
smlekid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am going to chase some pigs this weekend shotguns only what is the best size for hogs? I have SSG's and OO/SG's (9 pellets) we can't use slugs or rifles
this is a cull in a National Park (all perfecly legal) the distances we will be shooting I am not sure of but I beleive the country is thick and borders a lake so I am guessing close to medium (say 30y)
I have hunted a lot of feathered game with a 12g but never tried one on larger animals any advice greatly appreciated

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only pigs I ever hunted were in Morocco, where rifles are illegal. I used 00 first time I did it, as did some others in the group. We found pellets that never penetrated the hide--they're tough-skinned devils. Switched to slugs 2nd time around. But if you can't use those, barring advice from others who may have done the same thing on porkers, I'd say the bigger the pellet, the better.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/29/07 07:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Watch it, Larry. An Alberta hunter shot one weighing a half-ton recently.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would use 000 if you can get it. But 30 yards is way to far to bee shooting at big hogs with a shotgun. Do you have dogs? If you are hunting with dogs then use a knife. Even a bow is better than buckshot on a hog, so I would take that if you have a stout bow.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

BE sure and wear Tennis shoes ,so you can run when those 00 bounce off of the frontal shield.
I would have a .44 Mag in my back pocket.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hog hunting, shotguns only, no slugs?

sounds as if they're trying to cull the hunters not the hogs.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

The traditional weapon in Europe has been the spear. There should be two people , one with shotgun the other with spear (and track shoes for both!). Good luck on your hunt! David

Sidelock
Sidelock

A humorous story only because my brother in law survived unscathed; but several years ago he was deer hunting, slipping thru a swampy cane brake along the Broad River bottoms in Elbert County, GA when he crossed paths with an old boar hog weighing around 250 lbs. less than 20 yards from where he stood. Realizing the family could use some fresh pork chops and sausage, he lost no time in placing a 150 grain slug thru the armor plating on the left shoulder of the old hog; it hit the mud as if struck by lightning! Bedlam followed, as it seems these canes were full of grunting, squealing hogs crashing in all directions. Now my brother in law ain’t real smart; but he had enough sense to realize anywhere else would be safer than this spot in the swamp, so he hurried back up the trail to his truck whereon he grabbed his double scattergun and a pocket full of buckshot loads. Easing back into the swamp some 20 minutes later, he found only solitude, as the causes of the commotion had moved down river. He walked over to his prize and gave it a good kick in the ribs looking for any remaining signs of life; no reaction whatsoever, this hog was “dead”. It was now time for the field-dressing duties; and, not wanting to lay his scattergun in the mud, located a “convenient” tree several yards away. Returning to his prize, he grabbed a hind leg to roll his prize over; imagine the shock when the beast suddenly came to life! But my brother in law is a determined individual; and fearing for his safety, was afraid to turn the old hog loose. Fortunately for him, the 150 grain slug had at least broken the hog’s left shoulder; so the beast was unable to turn, but it could sure move forward! Brother in law (who weighed almost as much as the hog) continued to hang on, and was dragged some distance thru the mud and briers until his quarry finally became a little winded. At that point he seized his opportunity and pounced upon the pig’s back, applying his best interpretation of the WWF scissors holds he had seen on TV. Eventually the old pig got so tired that brother in law was able to get his Barlow from his pants pocket and cut the pig’s throat. Afterwards, he laid there in the mud beside the hog till his heart rate slowed to normal and he could somewhat regain his composure
I helped him skin the hog that evening and was amazed at the thickness of the shoulder plate (1 ¼” at the bullet hole); and skinning the shoulder was equivalent to cutting the shell off a huge snapping turtle! Upon performing an autopsy of the bullet wound, we saw that the slug had passed thru the shoulder plate, broken the right shoulder at the shoulder joint; then flattened out against the spine, thus rendering the beast unconscious. For what it’s worth, I can’t see buckshot as being very effective on a pig with shoulder plating as thick as this old rascal was wearing. In fact, based on what I witnessed in this instance I would be real uneasy taking broad-side shots at such an animal with a heavy pistol! The only boar I ever shot was taken from a deer stand and shot thru the ears with a 150 grain 30/06 slug; seems a good head shot will put a pig on his butt every time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot and killed a lot of Hogs in Texas. Most all with a rifle and a couple with my .44 Mag. If the Hog weighs more than 200lbs and it is a frontal shot I would not take it with buckshot because of the frontal shield. I have shot large hogs with a 30-06 thru the chest area and seen them run like they were not hit for 50yds.
I try to shoot them if possible behind the ear in the vertibre if it is a large hog. Smaller ones of course are not critical.
Be careful however,because hogs are shockingly fast when frightened and a person can not outrun them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.