April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, Jimmy W, SKB, 3 invisible), 230 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,981
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a pic of the box my gun came in from USPS priority mail, and why I refuse to use them:

So soaking wet and coming apart they wouldn't deliver it- had to go pick it up, and it was in a large plastic garbage bag.

To each their own.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I understand it, Priority and Registered are two different animals. Am I right or wrong?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
As I understand it, Priority and Registered are two different animals. Am I right or wrong?

According to the Post Office Priority Mail is REGISTERED MAIL with tracking etc. I have asked this same question multiple times and they have confirmed Priority Mail is a Registered Mail Service.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
Here is a pic of the box my gun came in from USPS priority mail, and why I refuse to use them:

So soaking wet and coming apart they wouldn't deliver it- had to go pick it up, and it was in a large plastic garbage bag.

To each their own.

Mike, it looks like you have a packing problem with whoever packed that box.

This is why I ALWAYS PACK IN A PVC WATERPROOF SHIPPING TUBE, WRAPPED AND TAPED WITH A 100% PURE COTTON BATH TOWEL and recommend others do the same.

It's your money and everyone can do it the way they want, crying towels are cheap.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Doug, that looks like my tube!!

All kidding aside, I think Doug is right about packing method. I will never again ship barrels that are not packed as he just described, in PVC pipe. Even when I'm sending the whole gun in a box, the barrels go in a pipe.

And in future I will be doing my best to convince any shipper of a gun to me, to back them the same way.

That way, whether it is Fedex or the Postal Serviceor whoever, the gun stands a very good chance of arriving unharmed.

Then the only issue is does it arrive!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24

According to the Post Office Priority Mail is REGISTERED MAIL with tracking etc. I have asked this same question multiple times and they have confirmed Priority Mail is a Registered Mail Service.

My understanding is both are tracked and provide delivery confirmation, but registered mail actually requires a signed off chain of custody and is shipped in locked containers.

""Registered mail service is offered by the United States Postal Service as an extra service for First Class or Priority Mail shipments. Registered Mail provides end-to-end security in locked containers. Registered Mail custody records are maintained, but are not normally provided to the customer, unless a claim is filed"
The last time I used it the postal clerk redid my package and put sealer tape on all the openings as well as requiring me to redo the address label.

Last edited by cpa; 08/21/15 12:59 PM.
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I have shipped Registered mail, it is required that the package be sealed with paper tape so the post office can use their rubber stamp and stamp every seam to insure no one has opened the package and either removed or tampered with the contents.

As I mentioned earlier when I was a govie we shipped items using Registered Mail that were extremely sensitive because they could be tracked by signature every step of the way.

Priority Mail in itself doesn't not provide that level of protection.

When in doubt my old boss always told me to follow the regs:

From the regs:

Secret information may be transmitted by:

d. U.S. Postal Service registered mail within and between the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico;

f. U.S. Postal Service registered mail through Army, Navy, or Air Force Postal Service facilities outside the United States and its Territories, provided that the information does not at any time pass out of U.S. citizen control and does not pass through a foreign postal system or any foreign inspection.

In the governments eyes, Registered is a pretty good way to make sure your items are getting from one location to the other safely.

Last edited by tut; 08/21/15 03:01 PM.

foxes rule
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug,

No argument with a PVC pipe. For barrels.

Not clear by the pic is the fact that it is a large rectangular box, containing a two barrel set s x s in a leather case. Not easy to get that in a PVC pipe. Fortunately, I also had the canvas cover on it, and everything was OK despite obvious incompetence/negligence/belligerence on the part of USPS, as this box was left out in the rain, or set in a gutter full of water, or some similar dock monkey behavior. Other than Cliff packing the the bat instead of the barrels, I suspect my FedEx foibles were more technological than human.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for clarifying what most of us already know, Priority Mail is not Registered Mail. If a package is lost in Registered Mail, they have a name to attach to the "problem". Priority Mail doesn't quite rise to that level.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for clarifying what most of us already know, Priority Mail is not Registered Mail. If a package is lost in Registered Mail, they have a name to attach to the "problem". Priority Mail doesn't quite rise to that level.

Originally Posted By: cpa

""Registered mail service is offered by the United States Postal Service as an extra service for First Class or Priority Mail shipments.

You're NOT paying attention Murphy........either First Class OR Priority Mail can be Registered.

Doug

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.