May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (CJ Dawe, KY Jon, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 299 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,503
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

About the only forum with a following on custom rifles with wooden stocks is the gunsmithing forum at accuratereloading.com. Short of starting a web page myself (don't have the time) I play there.

I've not done an in depth on John Oberlies yet but will, there are several makers I need to cover such as Pachmayr, Jaeger, King, Dubiel to name a few and a host of unknowns I'm still working on.

Classic custom rifles have increased in price at a frighting speed and I have had to sell doubles to be able to add rifles to my reference library.

I would welcome any pictures of Oberlies rifles or other classice makers.

Regarding the “Big Book”. I would like to publish a much larger book with color pictures and go into more depth on every maker. One large obstacle are photos from other collections that are good enough to publish. I have been teaching myself to take color and plan to travel to a few of the larger collections and take the pictures myself.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

"and it takes the balance right-out of the rifle."

I would not immediately discount the G&H mount. It is still being built and still works exactly as advertized. They appear clunky in a photograph, but somehow seem just about right on a classic G&H rifle when in the hands. Roger recently had one in .375 which will be in Africa with Tony Makris this summer. Everything about that rifle looks terrific. Observations about balance are nonsense. Any extra wieght (ounces) lies between the hands.

My only caution would be to get at least an '06 in such a rifle. They are big guns and ought to have sufficient caliber to make the weight worthwhile. That .375 is a dream.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve always liked the side-mounts, be it G&H, Noske or Niedner. One reason I like them is because you can use the receiver sight with the scope mounted. I acquired this rifle over twenty-five years ago from the original owner’s family. He had it made for a hunt in Canada then sent it back later for a scope. Included with the rifle were several boxes of the original 06 ammo, his hunting license and the leather G&H scope holster. This is a very early no serial number G&H with their name and address engraved on the floorplate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, my friend, you could have kept your praise of the side mount under your hat. Hopefully, no one will take a liking to them and deplete the supply of guns so equipped. I think the G&H side mount is a piece of work, especially as installed at G&H with invisible screws and pins. At least that's who I think installed them that way. Bill Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scope and G&H mounts can quickly turn a trim little rifle top heavy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My meager little collection includes some guns equipped only with iron sights, but I sure am glad that some are equipped with those newfangled top heavy scopes and mounts. I'll learn to live with them, I hope.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You'd have to ask yourself the question ol'8b - are these rifles hunted, or housed?
Niether iron sights, nor G&H mounts are best suited for the week-in and week-out rifle.

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 05/31/07 06:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gee I guess I just have led a charmed life over the last several decades, but having actually hunted rifles with every sort of sight and mounting system of which I am aware, nothing is more practical on a "week-in and week-out" rifle than a quality set of dismountable rings. Claws are my preference, with lower modern rings or clamps, but a G&H would be a very, very close second. Nothing is more dependable or practical, particularly on the general purpose rifle. And yes, brother Murph, you can order up a brand new set to be installed just like the old ones. But you are right, I hope everyone agrees that they are both impractical and ugly as sin. And certainly they must wreck balance ... I had never fully invisioned all those American representatives of the carriage class first listing to the right and then to the left as they tried to swat some hairy thing out west of Mombassa. Think Roger will have a fire sale?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see nothing of a charmed life, most riflemen have shot all of the above. Not much difference between "some hairy thing west of Mombassa," and a deer west of the Missouri.
A killing shot, is a killing shot eh!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Taylor
Gee I guess I just have led a charmed life over the last several decades, but having actually hunted rifles with every sort of sight and mounting system of which I am aware, nothing is more practical on a "week-in and week-out" rifle than a quality set of dismountable rings. Claws are my preference, with lower modern rings or clamps, but a G&H would be a very, very close second. Nothing is more dependable or practical, particularly on the general purpose rifle. And yes, brother Murph, you can order up a brand new set to be installed just like the old ones. But you are right, I hope everyone agrees that they are both impractical and ugly as sin. And certainly they must wreck balance ... I had never fully invisioned all those American representatives of the carriage class first listing to the right and then to the left as they tried to swat some hairy thing out west of Mombassa. Think Roger will have a fire sale?

The reason I may never have had a balance problems with them is my first rifle that had a G&H side mount on was a Krag sporter. It had that other hunk of metal hanging off the right side to balance it. The G&H side mount is about as foolproof as one would would want, The one on the Krag survived everything from -20 to a submersion along with the Lyman Alaskan scope. The thing that finely got it was a house fire. I wish more folks that are as well informed as Lowell would help spread the word and help keep the prices down.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.