March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've just finished restoring the barrels of two English guns, a Model 1891 Bonehill with twist barrels that will be a gift to my English Machinist, and a 2-Iron Birmingham damascus gun that belongs to a board member who also happens to be my Gunsmith. Some of you may have seen the damascus gun, as he had it with him at the Great Northern.

The process was fairly involved, in order to achieve the deep plum color yet maintain the desired high contrast. The coloring process (after all prep) included two different etchants used four times, three different rusting solutions at four different strengths and approx 11 rusting cycles, three different wire wheels, and five different abrasives. All to develop contrast early and maintain it throughout the process.

The intent now is not to merely achieve a professional standard, but one of accurate, exhibition quality.

I consider the time and effort well spent.

Twist

2 Iron Damascus

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

very nice work Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! You certainly achieved your goal! I think they are beautiful. Do you think it likely American makers opted for B&W because it was much easier to achieve the contrast quicker?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice work Ken.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your twist and damascus refinished barrels look very nice, good job Ken.

I have a set of Charles Lancaster high end damascus in the shop now for refinishing, they are NOW polished to 1500 and ready for etching and then proper browning. I will post some pictures when they are finished.

These particular Lancaster barrels were refinished by someone on the East Coast "three times" and still came back splotchy and a mess with some kind of browning solution that came off like "ladies makeup". The owner then sent them over here for correction.

As returned to the customer after the East Coast refinish and 3 strikes debacle......!

After three different grit polishing and cleanings here, with a final of 1500 W/D, now ready for the etching bath.......

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those CL barrels belong to a body action gun. Note the sugar tongs forend lump. Nice barrels. Some of the best made at the time. Can't wait to see the after browning pics. I've got a nice set of Scott barrels you could play with Doug ;-)

Dustin

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks everyone.

Joe,

No doubt American Black is a somewhat simpler process. The Bonehill twist barrels actually took many more cycles than the damascus ones in order to bring out the contrast. I suspect the Model 1891 was a less expensive gun than their previous models (due to McKinley Tariff) and used less-expensive barrels. The shading is also much more subtle. I colored them brown due to my machinist's preference, it's possible the gun was originally finished in Black & White for the American market.

Doug,

I suspect the high polish is somewhat overkill due to the etches involved. I've gone to a very aggressive initial etch as per the Parker Process, and with at least three additional mild etches I'm fairly sure the ultra fine sanding is not necessary on pattern welded tubes like it is on fluid steel. I also use the maroon ScotchBrite pad for final burnishing before the initial etch, and it's considerably finer than 400 grit.

In my experience, blotches are caused by the initial rusting solution being too weak. It is important to use a solution with a strong initial "Bite" for even color coverage. The important thing that goes along with this is a very aggressive initial carding, almost to the point of complete removal, but leaving no visible flaws. Even under magnification. This provides the "Base" for all the additional cycles, preventing flaws, especially along the top rib, from developing.

I'm getting ready to do another member's Lang barrels shortly, I'm confident my process will "Do them Justice".

There are still three patterns out there that I admire, yet haven't had a chance to do yet. They are Etoile B.P., Chain (Chainette) and Bernard. I'd like to do them for my portfolio. If anyone has a set they'd like done, I'd do them at a very reasonable price. Of course, all others are welcome as well.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm still not satisfied with my pictures. Here they are again, after some tweaking. They look more like they should now, the plum color and contrast more pronounced..

Twist

2 Iron Damascus

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken you "tweaked" everything to plum.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bro. Ken - I'll take your statement as being officially open for business smile and added you here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EGInyr3CsRadXkmTYRak4TWK-pCB3cN5Wgg51u_SnEM/edit

What did you decide about the 1/2 'before' and 1/2 'after' barrels?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.