March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Marc Ret, Little Creek, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 73 1 2 3 4 5 6 72 73
Sidelock
Sidelock

AmarilloMike sent me this photo a couple days ago. He is still in central Montana and here he poses with his two veterans, Buddy and Red, along with a bunch of Sharptails. He took five of his turdhounds with him and they're all getting workouts. His newest, Jazzy, is only about nine months old and has already pointed and retrieved birds! Good thing they are born with the hunting instinct.....

Looks like they'll get four solid months hunting here in Texas--quail numbers look to be incredible! Whew! Mike walks with his dogs and I often just drive along nearby. When they locate a covey I just amble over and shoot them for him. Works well and I don't have to buy dog food or pay vet bills. Ah, life is good!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would appear that the cool front convinced the Doves to have a hearty breakfast & head further South, but we had a great time. The Boys Ellenburg were both finally of age to effectively wield a firestick along with their Grand-Dad in their company, all on the same Dove field. Purdey is a gem but has seen more years than she has forward.

The wait

BWE giving play by play - he had 2 fantastic high bird shots

OFE & Purdey

Purdey rounding out the day while the Boys Ellenburg are pond swimming searching for snapping turtles.

A very good day indeed.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great post Raimey! Hope your birds flew southeast; I'm going this afternoon...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks there Geo. My wish is that the Doves headed your way & the temps stay low. I was up early scouting for ducks & the total number of visible doves were dramatically lower than a day or 2 prior. I was elated to see BWE cut out his 1st left to right pass from afar and a bit later hear a single pop and turn & see a folded Dove(incoming) and an 8 year old with a single 0.410 smokepole pointed to the sky, all other hunters preoccupied with something else. That area of the field just erupted in congratuations. Now that is what is it all about. Most difficult to be a participant as well as a chronicler. Had I known the temps were going to be a bit low I would have brought a contingent of say 1/2 dozen huntresses. I guess I've been blessed with say 2 score or more of hunting dogs over my lifetime & like the Boys Ellenburg I do not remember not having a bird-dog.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a great day Raimey. Hope you and the boys continue to have a great season.

Mike, I see you have taught your shooting student how to document your hunting exploits on line. Very good!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
AmarilloMike sent me this photo a couple days ago. He is still in central Montana and here he poses with his two veterans, Buddy and Red, along with a bunch of Sharptails. He took five of his turdhounds with him and they're all getting workouts. His newest, Jazzy, is only about nine months old and has already pointed and retrieved birds! Good thing they are born with the hunting instinct.....

Looks like they'll get four solid months hunting here in Texas--quail numbers look to be incredible! Whew! Mike walks with his dogs and I often just drive along nearby. When they locate a covey I just amble over and shoot them for him. Works well and I don't have to buy dog food or pay vet bills. Ah, life is good!

I sure hope Armadiller Mike had a pleasant hunt... cool

I'm just trying to figure out how he had time to hunt considering the amount of time he spends in the Misfires section.

Keep your eye on the bird and stay focused Mike.

Sidelock
Sidelock

After the rain quit Saturday and the front came through, we hunted the sunflower field yesterday where we opened the season on last weekend. The cold front made for a great afternoon afield but had thoroughly dispersed our birds. It was still a good all afternoon one box shoot:

The gun is a Beretta Black Onyx model I had Cole's in Maine install a double trigger in. Big Improvement!

OH and I fixed my shooting problem with a pirate patch over the left lense of my new glasses...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, I've been using a little tape circle on my left lense for years, but may to "the black patch" just for the style of it! ("Ugly 'em to death"!).

Last edited by Mike A.; 09/14/15 11:16 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, after 67 years of being right eyed and right handed my body decided to proceed to left eye dominance. There are no pleasant biological surprises after puberty!

I bought new glasses this summer thinking that would solve the problem. Nope just made it worse. I've missed clays all summer and shot awful last weekend on doves. I used the tape but blacked it out with a magic marker yesterday and it seemed to fix the problem...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love hunting with vintage ammo that I have accumulated over the last year.

Today was VERY windy, few doves and I decided to use some old #6 shot.
It was the perfect choice for the day smile

Collard Dove do respond well to #6 smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 09/14/15 09:51 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Page 4 of 73 1 2 3 4 5 6 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.