May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, Jtplumb, j7l2, 1 invisible), 1,033 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,509
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

People complain about the internet sellers being a little shady and hard to trust, but it is worlds ahead of what we had before. Using Gun List and Shotgun News, all you had was a very small write up of someone's description. Then you call them to hear some more details. A buyer's assessment of % blue, % case colors, "honest wear", and so on are usually a significantly different from a seller's evaluation of the same.

I never buy anything on the net without seeing some pics, which makes things far safer then remote gun buying was less than 10 years ago.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

KY John, thanks for the compliment.

Marc,
I also do that but In each case I paid return shipping and ate the costs. The buyers who misread did offer to pay the charges form Gunbroker for the sale.

I sell a lot of other gun parts, barrels, stocks and thats where I have guys who break my chops. To me, when I get a buyer who is breaking my gonads, I just tell him to send it back, no questions and I refund everything and pay his shipping back to me. He is the type of guy who would flame me for his mistake (had that happen on Ebay once) and it isnt worth the cost of paying his return fees for the bad feedback I would get for his not reading the description.

I have also made a few mistakes and shipped the wrong barrel to someone. Yup, dealers are human too. We make mistakes. And when I get an email or call telling me so, I offer them whatever solution it takes to make it right. Usually that means they send back the mis shipped part, I send them the right one and I refund the shipping they paid to get the wrong one to me. Thats the way all dealers shoudl do it. I want satisfied customers.

However, the guy who wins an auction, takes two weeks to mail me the funds and then 3 days later is calling wondering why he hasnt gotten his item forsts me.
Then ther eis the guy who calls and gets a ship date form me and because the psot office is slow, he gets mad at me!!
I know there are two sides and I have been on both sides of the aisle.

I am a one man show. I do this aprt time . I have a shop and am a legitimate business. I am not always in there. I have otehr commitments. When a potential customer calls and I am not in the shop , I hget their numebr and call them back when I have the gun in my hand. Thats the best way to talk about it. If a dealer cant put the gun in his hands to talk about it, hmmmmm.... Aks the questions.

Bottom line is if a dealer breaks your chops to return a gun if he offers three day inspection isnt worthy of doing business with. But the buyer at least owes him a reason. That may be ; I just dotn like it, it doesnt fit, it isnt as described or whatever. I will ask why for the purposes of seeing if I made a mistake in describing it or if I missed something in the gun.

If they dont offer 3 day, stay away from them.

Last edited by Brian; 06/02/07 10:32 AM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing I find funny is that I have sold guns to soem nationaly known dealers who relist them. What I described as 90% blue and 25% case turns into 98% blue with 85% case colors. AMazing.

I know I tend to under describe case and blue to be on the safe side. The customer is happier when he gets a gun better than described. And it removes the subjectivity of describing to some degree.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought from BP once and can say that his descriptions and specs are painstaking. Have also bought from a "southern gentleman" who is more Delphic than the oracle and whose pictures look like Hubble product before the correction. I didn't know there were so many questions which could be answered with one word and that the answer quota per query was also one. From him, I got more than I expected. We all get older, less energetic and less idealistic. Brian is preoccupied with being a successful dealer. The older gent is preoccupied with his digestion and it shows in his jaded approach to selling. The guns are honest enuf; seller isn't very forthcoming. Correlation between gun and seller's appraisal should be there; often isn't.

jack

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.