May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (barrel browner, SKB, HistoricBore, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 325 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,385
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

James, as soon as I saw the photo of the damage in your first post, I just knew you would be sending these to Doug (PA24). I also had little doubt that Doug would be able to remove the dents with minimal barrel striking because he is so meticulous and he does not take short-cuts.

I can tell you from my own limited dent raising experience that this was a time consuming job because of how close some of the damage was to the ribs. I don't know why... probably some psychological thing... but working with high quality tools seems to bring out the best in a craftsman. So I'm sure Joel's custom made hammers helped to inspire Doug's outstanding workmanship. I too hope we'll get to see the finished product.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith, Doug talked to me about the difficulty of dealing with the dents so close to the rib. As well as how slow the process had to be by necessity. I am sure there are others who have the knowledge and skill to do this job well, but knowing Doug's outlook, as well as seeing the results of his more standard barrel work, I had the utmost confidence that if they COULD be salvaged, Doug would be able to do it.

Doug, thank you for some incredible work. You know why this gun is important to me and I would have been devastated to find it, only to have had it ruined permanently by shipping.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely fantastic work! I can't wait to see the barrels when they are back on the gun. On the flip side, what a shame that the seller could show such disregard when packing it. Very inconsiderate to say the very least.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A great testimonial to excellent craftsmanship. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

James:

Was this your Roblin?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
James:

Was this your Roblin?

Yup!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.
That damage is awful, but the repair work is outstanding.

I shipped a Citori across the country recently. I wrapped the entire gun (broken down) in the high density foam they use for pool noodles and to ship computers. Excellent stuff. I err on the side of paranoid when it comes to shipping though.

I bought an aluminum gun case from Ziegler to ship my good guns to any service. The case goes in a cardboard box.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I saw the picture of the dents, I didn't doubt this thread would be about repairing them.

As bad as they looked (and were)there were no creases or edges to the dents. So removing them was eminently doable, if not easy.

It has been a long, long time, but I can remember similar threads in the days of gunshop.com and some of the now gone oldtimers.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

James is very discreet, and there is more to the story.

There was a second gun in the same box, but for some reason it does not seem to have fared as badly. He has had to wait longer to get his Roblin than for me to get mine, and I have been waiting about 16 months. But the end (at least this stage) is in sight, and both the guns are finally across the pond and in trusted hands.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Haha, that is Wingshooter16's lovely little grade 5 Manufrance Ideal 16 gauge in the background in the shot of the dented barrels. The other gun in the box.

For my own sanity, I was able to at least take joy in the fact the Ideal had made it through relatively unscathed. And that both guns were finally in NA. Mike, you should have bought a lottery ticket! Luck was on your side!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.