May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, skeettx, Hoot4570, Longknife, Chantry), 834 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,500
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a truly magnificent Springfield Michael.... and an ought'6 as well. I hope it still gets out in that incredible part of the country of yours. 150's on caribou and a 180 acubond on any thing with claws; what could be finer. Treat it well while you are its master.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, I don't hunt much anymore, got tired of killing critters after living around them for so many years. I now live in town and try to keep the moose from eating my apple trees. Last year I was 100 miles south of town shooting and walked around the 100 yard target headed to the 200 with a staple gun in one hand and a target in the other. I looked up and brown bear was headed to the 100 yard target, he must have been thinking of a big salmon because he did not see me until we were in spitting distance. He turned around and I did the same both looking over our shoulder until he was out of sight and I was back to the cabin. Now I carry my .400 Whelen or some other big gun when changing targets. I've been lucky over the years and never had to shoot a bear.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not only well informed MP, but a user of the G&H mounts.
These mounts do no favors to the lite rifle, where's there no need to pop the scope off, and pop the scope on, and pop the scope off and pop the scope on again.
A low mounted scope of light weight, is what is needed to cover hill 'n dale.
You might need to get out and about again!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell Frankly, I don't think you have ever held much less used a rifle equipped with G&H mounts or you wouldn't have made as uninformed a remark as you did concerning balance. Indeed, it makes me question how much you have ever used rifles for big game at all. With regard to detachable mounts in general, I suspect you speak with equal inexperience.

Certainly a light scope in a fixed mount is an absolutely suitable solution to a deer rifle particularly a rifle without open sights. In forty years of hunting and somewhere over a hundred head of big game, I have dismounted a scope from a bolt rifle and killed an animal exactly four times: twice to follow wounded game in thick cover, and twice due to a malfunctioning scope. On two of those occasions, I had detachable mounts, on the other two I was digging for an allen wrench. Probably not a compelling case for the value of detachable mounts, but I was glad I had them on the two follow ups.

All but three of my current rifles have detachables of one brand or another (one G&H, 2 Warnes, a couple of the new Leopolds, and three with claws). There are also a couple of drillings which have claws as well, but they are a different subject for another day. Of all of those, the only rifle which I think truly needs a detachable system is my .375. I think a dangerous game rifle should have an open sight option. Otherwise, I just like the versatility. They mount the same sorts of scopes to the same heights as fixed mounts, they weigh the same (Warne/Leopold) or virtually the same (G&H/claw) as any other, and they are, in my experience, absolutely dependable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, you should not take anything Lowell says with any degree of seriousness. He reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld who went on and on about nothing. Like you I would be surprised if he has ever seen a rifle with G&H mounts outside of a picture. Lowell’s job here is to bait & stir the $hit. I think he just likes to hear himself talk, so don’t let it get to you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good points, Joe. My favorite all purpose carry Springfield has three G&H tops mounted with three different types of scope, all sighted in. There is a Lyman 48 for the no scope situations. I don't carry all three scopes every time I go out, but if I am going more than 50 miles from home, I have at least one extra in the scope case. Another example of "all purpose" is my old FN with the Mauser style see through claw mount, three leaf express sights, as well as a 48 base. Admittedly, I have no extra claw top, but sure have plenty of iron sight backup. This mount has the advantage of iron sight capability with the scope mounted. When I get time, I will weigh a complete G&H assembly, base rail included, to see how badly we are handicapping ourselves in the balance category.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a good example of a rifle set up for hunting with lots of sights. This is a Kirkwood Bros, Boston made before WWI. Sorry for the bright background color I was experimenting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh boy, you know your in trouble when someone says, "Lowell frankly."
...but then again, thanks Joe for making my case, as to not making a very compelling case for G&H mounts!

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP,

Very nice rifle (and great pics) even for those of us who don't know much about them.

I'll be less polite. As to Lowell, ignore him. He is a putz from way back when.

Mike
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.