May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (susjwp, HalfaDouble, Jerry G, 1 invisible), 180 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,184
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

--- snip ---
How rare is a 116?
--- snip ---

FWIW, Here in the USA Ive seen three (two 12 gauge guns and one 16 gauge gun) come up for sale in the last five or six years.

Youre right on target about dealers swimming in used Spanish side lock shotguns, but those guns are mostly lower price point or entry level guns. At any given moment theres lots of AyA No. 2, Garbi model 110, Arrieta model 577, and UA model 210 shotguns looking for a buyer. Which is because those guns are, in the context of Spanish side locks, priced were a lot of people can afford them and have bought them.

The Ugartechea model 116 is a horse of a different color. Thats a gun at a price point similar to a Garbi 200, Arrieta model 872, or Grulla Holland. These model guns do come up on the used market occasionally. And when they do they tend to sit a long time before selling, because very few people are willing to spend that much money on a shotgun.

I was watching the auction for Claychrushers IU model 116 and he got one very nice deal, paying a thousand dollars less than the least Ive ever seen an IU 116 go for before now.

Kudos to ClayCrusher.

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cut the chokes to 0.005" in the right and 0.015" in the left barrel. Now shoot everything and use your double triggers as your barrel selector. You won't have to worry about misplacing choke tubes or your wrench.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Skeet will probably be about half of what I will shoot, clays and 5 stand some, and hunting occasionally. Sk/LM would work well, but for $10 more I can have the barrels threaded. That's why I was asking here, would one or the other options be better for the guns value? LM is still a bit tight for skeet, but that just means I need to my part better lol

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie,
Why did he get a "very good deal"? Do you suppose there were far more buyers for that gun 10-15 years past, or, now?
Maybe a 116 doesn't come along that often, but, paying attention to the final price could be an indication that things just ain't what they used to be. He won the auction with a pretty low bid. I still say the times are changing for 12 gauge doubles, of all stripes, and he should put the gun to use as he sees fit.

None of us are getting any younger.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Every time I read about "investing" in guns and whether they'll lose or gain value, I get bummed. I must be a lousy invester. I'm pretty sure my lifetime investment in guns hasn't lost or gained more than 20%.

On the other hand, my lifetime investment in automobiles is distinctly in the red...by the time I finish paying the $75,000 I agreed to for the ones in the driveway, I expect they'll be worth about $10,000.

I have nothing whatsoever to show for the first $250,000 I spent on autos....or the $200,000 I spent to shoot clay targets...or

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell
Every time I read about "investing" in guns and whether they'll lose or gain value, I get bummed. I must be a lousy invester. I'm pretty sure my lifetime investment in guns hasn't lost or gained more than 20%.

On the other hand, my lifetime investment in automobiles is distinctly in the red...by the time I finish paying the $75,000 I agreed to for the ones in the driveway, I expect they'll be worth about $10,000.

I have nothing whatsoever to show for the first $250,000 I spent on autos....or the $200,000 I spent to shoot clay targets...or

You are confusing investments with liabilities. A car, used as a car, is a liability. It is an expense that is a necessary evil for most of us to produce an income. They get used, hard.
Some cars are investments, but, you typically lose the "use" part of the deal. I have a very nice 442 that sees regular use, if ice cream runs, weddings, funerals, and car shows, that all occur in the summer months, counts as regular. I paid the princely sum of $3750 for the car, in the late 1990s, with it's trunk packed full of parts collected over a decade by the previous owner, who lost interest in it. I have far less than 10K into it (I restored it, myself) and have turned down triple that figure for it. Recently.
I believe the old muscle cars are in the same sphere that double guns are in, namely, people not old enough to remember them in regular use are uninterested in them. I believe the value of the old 442 will decrease as the years go by, same as doubles, in general. However, I keep it, because when I pump the pedal to set the choke, light it up, back it out of the shop, and listen, as the idle on the original 400 motor settles into a nice lope, and drive down the road, often using the AC unit that contains 4 lbs of R12, or, kick the thing into passing gear, going onto a freeway on ramp, listening to the sound the secondaries of the Q-jet produce, through an open air cleaner, I get a feeling other cars simply aren't up to. It doesn't remind me if my lights were left on, and commands a bit of respect, as it is far from an idiot proof driving appliance that most cars today are.
One of the real smart guys here opined that you make your money on guns on the buy. I've had some sucess there, but, it isn't a consistant thing. Some guns I will do well on, if I sell, but, I hardly ever sell a personal gun.
So, it mostly doesn't matter to me what they are worth.

Same as the old car.

Best,
Ted

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.