Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just purchased a Ugartechea 116 made in the early 70's. Well, they money order is on its way to the guy wink. I've been considering adding screw in chokes- either Briley or Carlson's for the flexibility of shooting skeet, sporting clays, or hunting. While a 116 is not an antique nor super collectable, would screw ins negatively effect it's value? I plan to keep this double for many years, but who knows what will happen if an even nicer one comes along in a few years.

And if I go that route, would one brand be better than the other?

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since the chokes will probably cost you about $5-600 by the time you get them shipped, insured, etc, even if you sell the gun for what you paid you will be upside down. That being said, I have had Briley do chokes on two of my guns. Whatever blows your skirt up.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, for me I think it's more a personal type deal. Some value the
versatility and others abhor them. My personal opinion is, if the gun is a common modern one, I see no harm. Most modern SxS's made now have them as standard equipment, that says something about the demand for them. On a vintage gun or rarer piece, then no. The Uggie you mentioned is a pretty common gun, true a mid grade one, but not one that really holds it value used. Tubes may offset some of the loss. I have a couple SxS's that are tubed. I had them tubed by Briley for steel shot for duck hunting. Never had a problem them. I've also had one tubed by Carlson, again no problems. The way I look at it is it's your gun, you paid for it and you can do what you like to it. If you do decide to sell, there is always someone out there who will see tubes as a plus. Those who don't like tubes won't buy it anyway. One thing I would suggest, get flush tubes, extended tubes on a SxS are terrible to look at!

As to who, Briley costs more, but their reputation is a good one and their work is excellent. Carlson is good also, but they have certain criteria for flush tubes. Your SxS may not meet it.

Just my opinions here, I'm sure you'll get others.

Good Luck!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we are already on the down hill slide in value on double guns, especially 12 gauge double guns. There are a ton of them out there for sale, some of the big dealers have inventory that has been for sale for a decade or more.
The market isn't expanding. It is graying out.
Keeping all that in perspective, just do what you want with your not-so-old gun. It isn't much of an investment.
Few guns actually are.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty much covered above. Your gun is not a collector gun it is a shooter. Briley is a proprietary system, very expensive, and can be used on barrels too thin for other systems. The other system was originated by Truchoke and usually seen today for Colonial and Carlson tubes. To use it the OD for your barrel must at least .805 to .810. The best deal on installing this system is from Mike Orlen who does hundreds a year, and on a double his cost is $100 plus tubes. I would not spend the money for Brileys on your gun, but if it will take the TruChoke pattern tubes, I would consider it. Think through carefully what chokes you really need and use. For a 12, there is very little that cannot be done effectively with ic and mod unless you are serious about skeet shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Consider choking it for your primary hunting. In a 20 or 16, skeet and modified will handle grouse, woodcock, and maybe even pheasants over a close working dog. Since registered targets probably won't be a major focus of a sub-gauge SxS, scores won't suffer appreciably.

I once Briley-tubed a 16ga SxS. It was not a mistake, but it went to another home as I eventually wound up with a half dozen, fixed-choke SxS's in different configurations, from a 26", 6lb, 20 ga for grouse to a 32", 8lb, 12ga for clay target competition.

For awhile, I hunted everything from varmints to big game with a 30/06. I sold it and replaced it with several different calibers....none was as versatile, but the hobby as a whole became a lot more interesting.

Beware the man with one gun....he'll probably bore you to death in other ways, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

any gun that you change to have the word "custom" now in its description....will have lost value....plus whatever you paid for the tinkering is now also flushed away.....if you care about maintaining the guns original value just remember that gunsmiths are for repairing....not changing

If you don't like the gun sell it and find one you do....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew a guy who put Briley chokes in his Fabri . The ultimate dumb move as far as I am concened!

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems to me most casual shooters who have screw in chokes invariably end up with IC along with some sort of Mod and never change again. That's about what I have my fixed chokes opened to and never find it a detriment for my purposes.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Joe but instead of screw in just have the chokes opened up to what you want. By far a cheaper choice

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.