March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#422350 10/13/15 09:16 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A couple of months ago I asked for info regarding loading ITX shot for my Elsies. I patterned lots of different loads. One of my guns is full and full. That is the one I used for most patterning. Although I also patterned my Light Field imp/mod. The load I came up with was based on AA hull, Win 209 primer, Green Dot powder and Claybuster 1 1/4 oz wad. About 1oz of #4 ITX fits. I did field research during the first week of duck season. I have got to say the performance has been outstanding. If I do my job the guns and loads do theirs better than I had imagined.

Alliant powder company could not provide a load for ITX using Green Dot(the powder I have always had good luck with)so I carefully worked the load up. I am not at max pressure and although I have not yet run these over a chronograph I think they are between 1250 and 1300 fps. Alliant did say that components, particularly primers, with Green Dot were not very interchangeable. So I stuck to the books and stayed away from anything that looked iffy.

The ITX loading manual recommends several different powders which I be inclined to try but I don't think I am going to mess
with success.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only shot a couple pheasants with my load using Steel powder, the ITX seemed to work as well as lead. I was impressed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been using mostly ITX 6's the past few years in my 2.5" 12ga and am having great luck with it. I started using an ounce of #5 Nice shot but switched to 7/8 oz. ITX 6's and see the same results.

2.5" cut down RIO or Cheddite hull, 7/8 oz. ITX 6's, RIO primer, HCD 18 or HCD-21 wad and PB powder, 1150-1200 fps.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When using ITX in your recipes, do you load weight to weight or "volume to volume" when substituting ITX for lead, and do you have an idea of any change in chamber pressure and recoil?
Thanks
Randy

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't substitute ITX for lead, I use ITX specific loads and weigh each shot charge, chamber pressure is listed in the recipe. BPI has many loads developed and if you aren't interested in buying their load manual they have plenty of loads in their "Load of the Week" archives.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, Oskar, I am happy to hear that ITX patterns well (the shape of the shot is "different") and has good down range energy. I just have not heard that there are any recipes for 7000 to 8000 psi loads for 16 ga. I am in the process of working up a load, but the powders I have on hand are no longer produced, but I was looking for a comparison, so I could get an idea where to start- for example, Nice shot, seems to increase about 1500 psi for the same volume (pellet number) in the shot column, the weight being 1/16 to 1/8 oz less. With the way ITX doesn't want to go through the charge bars and tubes, or even small funnels when hand weighing individual shells, I think the pressures would be much higher, and take numerous tries to get a good recipe.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am now trying out several loads listed in the ITX loading guide.
I am using RIO hulls primed with RIO 209 primers. The wad is a Ballistics Product PT1251 wad. I am loading 1oz of ITX 10 shot and Longshot powder. It is listed as a pretty fast load at 1555fps and 8700 psi. So far I have not been able to duplicate the results that I got with Green Dot.

I had excellent results with PB powder and the listed loads of 28 and 29 grains. The 28 grain load shot better However that was a nonstarter because I called my powder folks to get more and was told that PB was not available as it was discontinued.

bls Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about loading it with Black Powder in a plastic hull.

I've only got Bullseye and FFg and Fg left in the house and not about to go find more powders right now.

I was wondering if I could load it volume for volume in a 2.5" shell? Fold crimp not Roll.
Thoughts? Hows the density of it? I have a pound of #4 ITX shot I plan to try out in a SxS choked LM/IM for ducks. Thank you

Last edited by bls; 10/27/15 07:51 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.