Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunut
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

There is something about handling a Nitro Special that makes me want to go shooting!

They do handle nicely especially in the sub gauges but look so damn clunky .... the Ithaca Lefever A grade, a lipsticked up version of the same gun, is has much nicer fit and finish .....and the sub gauge Hunter Arms made [hammerless] Fulton handles like a dream and is very nicely fit/finished despite it odd action design....all these red headed step children from the major manufacturers if not abused or shot to hell can take you on a real nostalgic trip,.... if you let them....

I really should have noted subgauge with the Nitro point. But, I was a 30 year old guy once upon a time, and THAT guy didn't care if it was a 12 or a 16 or a 20.
But, I do, now. Either I've evolved (doubtful!) or grown less resistant to gravity. Or, a little of both.

Not pretty, indeed. But, useful, humble, durable, relevent, and usable in the game. Beyond good value in pricing. Something honest in the use of a gun like that, but, I'm not poetic enough to spell it out in readable form.

I think it is OK to like good, and, not so great, doubles.

Thanks for pointing out the very correct notion that a subgauge is sweetest.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you , Dewey, for taking the time to relate all that. More than I had hoped for, and appreciated. I will save it for future reference. Lots of stuff in there that I've never read from the "gun writers".

Much appreciated.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From Mr. Vicknair's business letter dated 1 January 2013 :

In closing, I would like to sincerely thank everyone for the opportunity to help preserve these great old guns.

After reading through the different design faults he listed here I ask Mr. Vicknair if still thinks they are great old guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
It's ridiculously easy to produce one-off items of high quality ...............

Really? Well, I guess I've been put in my place. I have never produced anything worthwhile that was ridiculously easy.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: cherry bomb

In closing, I would like to sincerely thank everyone for the opportunity to help preserve these great old guns.

After reading through the different design faults he listed here I ask Mr. Vicknair if still thinks they are great old guns?

Perhaps Mr Vicknair wrote that letter because as a business owner he has a little class and respect for his customers, those he was communicating to in that letter.

Class is something that is sorely lacking in just about every post I have ever read from you.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: cherry bomb

It's a social convention known as being polite.

It appears that there are at least a few on this board who, rather than take insight based upon almost 30 years of gunsmithing experience, for free, and educate themselves, would rather attempt to assassinate my credibility by trying to "catch me in a lie" or some other such nonsense.

I posted an unbiased assessment of the design of a specific gun.

If any are offended by that, that's their problem. If your personal identity is so closely tied to a few pieces of wood and metal that what I said upsets you, perhaps a change in the dosage of your medication is in order.

Far too many on this board would rather be right (in their mind) than educated (in actuality).

Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Hey Gunut, I saw your post before you deleted it. Have we had any professional dealings? Care to post your actual name so that I know never to deal with you? If you prefer to hide behind your username I understand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

thought it over and decided that I really don't care if a smith likes a particular type of gun or not, as long as he is reasonable in his pricing and proficient in his repairs....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dewey Vicknair
This was the only gun actually built under license from Westley Richards rather than designed to get around a patent.

There in that statement you have it.
Designed to get around a patent.
I live in Australia & here we have almost one of everything from anywhere imported to fill the needs of the growing market from 1788 onwards.
One of my interests is antique stationary engines & these were made in the millions the world over to fill a hungry market that wanted them NOW. The manufacturers came up with all sorts of devious devices to do carburation, injection, ignition, every one different just to get around patents & get a product into production & onto the the market.
Were each one of these devious devices the best thing since sliced bread ? No.
Did they do the job ? Yes.
They put the product on the market to serve & work for the consumer at a price they could afford & that the manufacturer made a profit on. Thereby they all made a living.
I love to see the ingenuity of design that this situation created.

We all know that if we took all the best design features of every shotgun, car, stationary engine or bike that we would have a very good bit of gear. This is why some of us do vehicle modifications & mix & match parts to build a hot rod.
Just remember that the manufacturers of our old gear did not have this same liberty.
O.M.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KWD
My support of L.C Smith shotguns is based looks, fit, feel and accuracy. I guess everyone on this board has a favorite mine is a Smith. Anyone want to sell me there junky High Grade Smith I'm your man.
KWD

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and what gun they desire. The ultimate test of a gun is whether you hit consistently with it.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.