May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (trw999, 1 invisible), 950 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,401
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

None of my 5 LC Smiths are for sale, I shoot all of them-with RST shells-Hunter Arms was the first American gun company to use the AISI 6150 Chrome Vanadium steel (that Henry Ford discovered on a business trip to France about 1904-- never heard of a cocking rod in a Smith breaking-they were made from 6150-- the only leaf spring that can crack or fracture is usually the top lever spring-anchored with a small set screw in the trigger guard plate, a tricky bit of business to position correctly when re-assembly is required I will admit, but as the trigger plate is anchored "for and aft" in the receiver floor and at the rear tang with a machine screw anchored to the top rear tang, seems like a solid enough design to a layman like me. Smith frames are in proportion to the gauge of the gun, something not quite the same with the carriage bolt doubles many seem to favor. I started collecting shootable Smiths in 12 gauge because (1) they shoot well for me and my shooting habits, and (2) due to the law of supply and demand- more Smiths and Ithacas available, especially in 12 gauge in my marketing base, than M21's, Parkers (except the durable Trojan series) and A.H. Fox guns- all have their strong and salient points in a ever-shrinking shooter/collector market, you pays your $ and you takes your choice- But I appreciate a craftsman like Dewey Vicknair, who is willing to answer questions without subterfuge- try to get that from a gun "dealer"--not a gun master craftsman--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone questioning Dewey's statements about the strengths and weaknesses of the guns he has outlined is kidding themselves.

His statements are completely spot on and are based on years of experience in actually working on the guns. Anyone who actually works on any of those guns a lot will say the same thing that he is.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Originally Posted By: KWD
My support of L.C Smith shotguns is based looks, fit, feel and accuracy. I guess everyone on this board has a favorite mine is a Smith. Anyone want to sell me there junky High Grade Smith I'm your man.
KWD

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and what gun they desire. The ultimate test of a gun is whether you hit consistently with it.

Yes, but, it is really nice to have the gun you hit consistantly with hold together until you are too old to shoot it anymore. A little knowledge is power, and hopefully you get involved with a design that will be durable, rather than just hoping it will be so.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Originally Posted By: buzz
Dewey; As an expert gunsmith, would you make critical comment re the Winchester Model 21, the good and the bad? I would appreciate hearing your opinion. Thanks, Buzz

I doubt you will like it, but, it is honest as the day is long. You can learn a lot from the guy who has to fix 'em, if you are willing to shut up and listen.
Most guys aren't.
Best,
Ted

If "we are willing to shut up and listen" will you regale us with your wife's opinion of the Model 21?
Why so nasty Ted?

My wife doesn't know anything about model 21s. If she did, I'd put her on and let her tell you, herself. Then, you would say she didn't know what she was talking about.

Which, is exactly what has happened to Dewey, right here, when he has done the same thing, in the past.

I know Dewey's opinion of both the model 21, and the LC Smith. We have talked at length about those, and other designs. I agree with him on many things, but, our interests are different enough that it isn't 100% agreement. His standards are higher, no question about that. If I was going to venture outside of my comfort zone on a different type of gun, I'd definitely listen to what Dewey had to say before I parted with cash. He has very good reasons for his opinions about various guns. Like many things in life, it isn't "this is the best one of all" type of deal, there are compromises, design flaws, workable shortcomings, and, out and out crap.

A lot of other guys, many of them right here, have an opinion, but not with that level of thought, or scope. They don't fix them, or make them pretty and better functioning, after all. Dewey does.

My comment was a generality, aimed at no one in particular. Remember the lyric "All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest"?My favorite Simon and Garfinkel song- "The Boxer"!!

Never more apparent than on a hobbiest board, on the net.

Best,
Ted

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why the personal comments? Question asked and answered. You can agree or disagree, but don't get so nasty over opinions unless you lack facts and reason to support your own.

I find his comments to be supported by facts and reasons. I might agree or disagree but the man gave his reasons and you can refute them with your own facts or reasons or grow up. It's like a bunch of children around here sometimes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know why it happens: Here I am getting a a free education and then something good is turned into something sinister---It's a lie!

Is it desperation by someone who lacks something the other has a lot of, trying to separate who is valued here and who is not?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, but, it is really nice to have the gun you hit consistantly with hold together until you are too old to shoot it anymore.
Best,
Ted

That why you choose Mossberg ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have set silently through 10 pages of this discussion so will now add my ˘ worth. Is Mr V correct about the top lever being a poor design, Absolutely. The cocking cranks ???. Does he have the right to refuse to work on one if he chooses not to, Absolutely. Would his choice not to work on on influence my decision to own & shoot one Absolutely NO, I can (& Have) taken some of the contrary things apart & put them back together without damage to either me or them.
Do I like an L C Smith, Yes, just happen to like Lefevers better so currently do not own a Smith. (Have in the past)
Given the choice between a Smith & comparable grade & condition A&D Boxlock which would "I" choose. The Smith Every time.
Why; I guess there truly is no accounting for taste. I just like sidelocks better & Yes I am fully aware hat my chosen Lefevers are not true sidelocks but the have the features of one which make them desirable to me.
Might say that Yes I agree with everything Dewey said but bottom line is I'm sorta like the old Owl, I Don't Really Give a Hoot.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

what about jp sauer box locks, my favorite gun? any comment pro or con?

i particularly like the pre ww1 made guns.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Dewey, I wish you would just please come out and say what you mean instead of beating around the bush.

Most likely he was referring to L.C. Smith guns being a poor design.

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.