Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Vicknair may express some disrespect for American guns, but he has addressed my particular problems with these guns as well as problems with high grade Italian sidelocks and London made sidelock guns. My list of "solved problems" with various guns thrown at Dewey is a long one. My very impressive big Vicknair project gun is pictured on another site.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WagonWillie
Canvasback,
Too bad that more Manufrance Ideals didn't make it to the USA. Lots of them still in France, but it's not easy to get them imported, unfortunately, as you and I have discussed.

James and I are hard at work correcting this shortcoming.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wingshooter16 That's sounds very intriguing! Tell me more. Are you taking orders?

Men build too many walls and not enough bridges. -Isaac Newton
Sidelock
Sidelock

One other question for Dewey regarding the '21 forend lug joint failure.

In your opinion, is the main cause of this failure due to people putting the barrels back on the gun without having the hammers cocked?
Any comment appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dewey,
sometimes people just don't like to hear the answer. I think you presented an assessment of a design clearly and based on your experience and being your opinion. You were asked and gave forth.
while others may disagree with your assessment, they are entitled to their opinions just like you and I are.
What I don't understand is why folks here want to call you a heretic because you have given what you were asked.

I say "good job".

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

We're putting Dewey "through the paces" with all these questions, but I have so many, and it's so rare to be able to get opinions developed through long experience fixing these guns.

If we've not worn our welcome too thin, Dewey, I have a question about your opinion concerning the failure rates of V springs compared to coils. Most today assume that coils are superior, due to their ease of manufacture and their so-called ability to continue to function even after breakage. Perazzi guns continue to use V- springs in their locks, and get hammered for it by K gun shooters. I'd be interested in your opinion of that.

Kim Rhode, Olympic shotgun medalist who has shot Perazzis for over 16 years, stated that in shooting 500-1000 rounds a day for 16 years she has never had a malfunction in practice or in competition. I have never had a breakage in the two I have owned. My idea, and it's only an idea, is that the life of a V spring is much more highly dependent on the quality of the spring than with a coil spring. Said differently, it's enormously easier to produce a quality coil spring than a quality V spring. Am I all wet?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WagonWillie
Wingshooter16 That's sounds very intriguing! Tell me more. Are you taking orders?

Email me. Address is in my profile.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: PERLY88

In your opinion, is the main cause of this failure due to people putting the barrels back on the gun without having the hammers cocked?
Any comment appreciated.

There are multiple causes of failure in a non-fusion type joint. Some of them are as follows:

- Poor fit of the parts to be soldered, in a non-fusion joint the strength of the assembly will be at its maximum with a gap of about .001-.004". As the gap between the parts grows beyond that, the strength of the joint will drop off sharply. At some point the strength of the joint will be no more than the strength of the solder (or braze) material itself.
This is NOT the problem with the Model 21. All of them that I've ever relaid had very well-fitted forend lugs.

- Poor "wetting" of the area to be joined, any surface contamination will prevent the wetting and thus, the bonding, of the contaminated area. This is why an acid-based flux is used for the tinning stage. All traces of acid flux are washed away in a solution of baking soda and water before a coat of rosin-based flux is applied to all tinned surfaces. The ribs , lugs, etc. are then fixtured together and the rosin facilitates the joining of all of the tinned areas with no danger of corrosion.

- Improper solder or braze selection for the particular application. (see below)

- Degradation of the solder, THIS is where I believe (I must STRESS that this merely a theory of mine, I do not present this as fact) the Model 21's problem lies. All of the 21s that I've ever relaid exhibited solder joints that were grainy, crumbly whitish powder. This is exactly similar to the way really old pure lead bullets look. The solder that is used in the assembly of doubles is generally much heavier in tin content than lead. I suspect that Winchester used a solder that was just the opposite. Whether this was a mistake or it was done purposely as a part of an effort to apply the absolute minimum amount of heat to the barrels during manufacture, I can not say.

Many 21s have beavertails (as do many other guns) and the inertia of the beavertail, combined with the fact that the shooter generally actually holds a forend of this type, conspire to greatly stress the forend lug joint.

A 21's forend will always be easier to install when the gun is cocked but doing it without the locks being cocked should not place any undue stress on a PROPERLY soldered forend lug.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Despite the unfortunate disagreement in parts of this thread, one thing has become completely apparent; Mr. Vicknair is one of the stars of this bulletin board. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with those of us who just want to know!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dewey Vicknair
Originally Posted By: PERLY88

Any comment appreciated.

There are multiple causes of failure in a non-fusion type joint. Some of them are as follows:

- Poor fit of the parts to be soldered, in a non-fusion joint the strength of the assembly will be at its maximum with a gap of about .001-.004". As the gap between the parts grows beyond that, the strength of the joint will drop off sharply. At some point the strength of the joint will be no more than the strength of the solder (or braze) material itself.
This is NOT the problem with the Model 21. All of them that I've ever relaid had very well-fitted forend lugs.

- Poor "wetting" of the area to be joined, any surface contamination will prevent the wetting and thus, the bonding, of the contaminated area. This is why an acid-based flux is used for the tinning stage. All traces of acid flux are washed away in a solution of baking soda and water before a coat of rosin-based flux is applied to all tinned surfaces. The ribs , lugs, etc. are then fixtured together and the rosin facilitates the joining of all of the tinned areas with no danger of corrosion.

- Improper solder or braze selection for the particular application. (see below)

- Degradation of the solder, THIS is where I believe (I must STRESS that this merely a theory of mine, I do not present this as fact) the Model 21's problem lies. All of the 21s that I've ever relaid exhibited solder joints that were grainy, crumbly whitish powder. This is exactly similar to the way really old pure lead bullets look. The solder that is used in the assembly of doubles is generally much heavier in tin content than lead. I suspect that Winchester used a solder that was just the opposite. Whether this was a mistake or it was done purposely as a part of an effort to apply the absolute minimum amount of heat to the barrels during manufacture, I can not say.

Many 21s have beavertails (as do many other guns) and the inertia of the beavertail, combined with the fact that the shooter generally actually holds a forend of this type, conspire to greatly stress the forend lug joint.

A 21's forend will always be easier to install when the gun is cocked but doing it without the locks being cocked should not place any undue stress on a PROPERLY soldered forend lug.

Dewey, thank you for taking the time to explain in thorough detail.

Jay

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.