March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (BEY, ChiefAmungum, canvasback, FelixD, Dan R, 2 invisible), 385 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dewey Vicknair
Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Dewey;
I have springs on items from the 1850's thru 1870's (Not gun related) which are I believe called convolute springs. These springs are wound in a cone shape from flat stock much like a clock spring. They however work by compression & not by winding up as in a clock spring. So, what action would you call them, I see absolutely no evidence of torsional movement as they are compressed & this should show on the wide, thin cross section if it were present.
From the French word meaning "turn"-- A "Grande Volute Salon" is what the Frogs call "A big ball room"--kinda like Arnold's jockstrap I might wager!!

Now we're into some different stuff! What you're referring to are called "volute" springs. These are basically a very thin "beam" wound into a spiral coil. When compressed, one "side" (it's wound in a spiral) is placed in compression while the opposing side is placed in tension, thus mimicking beam loading but not in a planar fashion.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has been noted that at least in a compression application, a broken coil spring would still function, whereas a leaf type would not. It stands to reason though that the function would be affected by the broken coil spring being effectively shorter in length and thus stiffer?

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
It has been noted that at least in a compression application, a broken coil spring would still function, whereas a leaf type would not. It stands to reason though that the function would be affected by the broken coil spring being effectively shorter in length and thus stiffer?

Mike
It functions only because it is entrapped- no where to open to full uncompressed length-no other reason.

Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Dewey;
I have springs on items from the 1850's thru 1870's (Not gun related) which are I believe called convolute springs. These springs are wound in a cone shape from flat stock much like a clock spring. They however work by compression & not by winding up as in a clock spring. So, what action would you call them, I see absolutely no evidence of torsional movement as they are compressed & this should show on the wide, thin cross section if it were present.
From the French word meaning "turn"-- A "Grande Volute Salon" is what the Frogs call "A big ball room"--kinda like Arnold's jockstrap I might wager!!

Now we're into some different stuff! What you're referring to are called "volute" springs. These are basically a very thin "beam" wound into a spiral coil. When compressed, one "side" (it's wound in a spiral) is placed in compression while the opposing side is placed in tension, thus mimicking beam loading but not in a planar fashion.

Please don't quote my posts and then modify them so that the results appear to be my words.

I have nothing at all against the French, for the record.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Dewey;

Please don't quote my posts and then modify them so that the results appear to be my words.

I have nothing at all against the French, for the record.
Sorry, le faux pas es moi, mon ami. I have midget respect for the French en tot, their metallurgists and some of their non-miltary gun makers like Granger-- I recall what America's best field General- George Smith Patton Jr. once said about the French- "I'd rather have one French division ahead of me that 3 French divisions behind me"--and Patton spoke fluent French-go figure

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 11/04/15 09:38 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've grown fond of hammer guns of late, but I would also be curious to hear Dewey's opinion of Dan Lefever's self compensating bolt mechanism and adjusting screw, which no other maker to my knowledge has fashioned. I'm not sure why, because whatever faults Lefevers may have, shooting loose isn't one of them...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years back I bought a Lefever H grade with twist barrels as a "Parts" gun. According to the seller it was all there but didn't work, price was extremely low. When I picked it up he stated he had "Fixed" it & it would now work. guess that depends on one definition of "Fixed". Problem had been the trigger plate screw had been replaced with a Too Long screw. This screw projected up inside the frame & prevented the cocking hook from seating so the gun would not bolt up. He had fixed it by backing out the ball hinge screw until the end of the barrels would tip over enough for the bolt to engage. One barrel had a crack in it & the stock was busted. Showed a lot of use & a good bit of abuse. With the trigger plate screw shortened so the cocking hook would seat & the hinge screw re-adjusted it locked up real tight though there was bolt wear which allowed the lever to go left I actually then tried t with the ball hinge completely removed with just the doll's head & bolt securing the barrels & it still bolted up tight.
It is hard to convince me that a well fitted doll's head is a useless adornment & especially this square shouldered one of Lefever's design. Still haven't needed a part off of this one though, nothing has broken on my others.
Viva Lefever

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years back I bought a Lefever H grade with twist barrels as a "Parts" gun. According to the seller it was all there but didn't work, price was extremely low. When I picked it up he stated he had "Fixed" it & it would now work. guess that depends on one definition of "Fixed". Problem had been the trigger plate screw had been replaced with a Too Long screw. This screw projected up inside the frame & prevented the cocking hook from seating so the gun would not bolt up. He had fixed it by backing out the ball hinge screw until the end of the barrels would tip over enough for the bolt to engage. One barrel had a crack in it & the stock was busted. Showed a lot of use & a good bit of abuse. With the trigger plate screw shortened so the cocking hook would seat & the hinge screw re-adjusted it locked up real tight though there was bolt wear which allowed the lever to go left I actually then tried t with the ball hinge completely removed with just the doll's head & bolt securing the barrels & it still bolted up tight.
It is hard to convince me that a well fitted doll's head is a useless adornment & especially this square shouldered one of Lefever's design. Still haven't needed a part off of this one though, nothing has broken on my others.
Viva Lefever
Oui- bon chance La Le-Fever!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Isn't the Lefever a modification of the earlier Webley Screw Grip?

Men build too many walls and not enough bridges. -Isaac Newton
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.