May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stanton Hillis, buckstix, Birdog, skeettx, 1 invisible), 697 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it really is a full-fleged Griffin & Howe sporter, it is an ecellent buy in 99% condition at $3500. I regularly follow the inventory at Griffin & Howe. Officially numbered rifles typically sell for $5500 and up in "excellent condition. They often don't take that long to sell.

Rifles customized by Griffin & Howe, but not assigned a number, sell for much less. They typically have recived only part of the total package, stock, metal work, not barrel, for example. Check the current inventory on the G & H web site and you will see the difference.

The true Griffin & Howe sporter will have have " No. XXXX Griffin & Howe Inc. New York, NY " or something very similar on top of the barrel. Serial numbers in the mid two thousand range were made in the mid 60's. Griffin & Howe should be able to tell you by phone when the rifle in question was made.

A classic Griffin & Howe sporter may or may not be as absolutely accurate as a current state of the art high tech rifle, but it has all the esthetic and emotional appeal of a high end shotgun. It should mount just as quickly and naturely as one as well.

Obviously classic Griffin & Howe sporter do not appeal to everyone. If it appeals to you, I suggest you consider it seriously. Just like high-end shotguns, fit is important. Griffin & Howe stock dimensions reflect the body type and shooting style of the original purchaser. the They are not easily changed as they are on a shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been watching this one for a while and surprised it's still there.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=6829

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

To continue the hijack, .22RF's prefer the ammo that shoots well in them.

My East German Haenal is very good copy of an Anschutz. After shooting ALOT of different brands through it including 10x. The best accuracy was with a very old lot of Lapua that I found in a gunshop. I have one box left from that brick for 'special occassions'. Second best in this rifle is Russian Junior Brass. I haven't seen it in over a decade and it was apparently only available for a few months. I bought an entire case of the lot # it preferrs. I have 2500 rounds left.

With the Lapua I have a couple of targets (5 shots) that went just over 1/2" at 100 yards on a perfectly calm cool morning at Ben Avery. The Junior B will shoot at 1" on a calm day but won't match the Lapua.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul doesn't mind.
When at the range I will shoot at the 50 meter targets, never pushed the rifle at 100yds tho'.
Tenex is a good hunting cartridge, you can hit a squirrel or crow right smack in the brainpan everytime.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason for me buying my Kimber new, is barrel maintenance and ammo selection right off the bat. No bricks of Stingers and a good wirebrushings for me.
So MP, a factory testing of .220(center to center, mind you) is outstanding for a sporter, with proper break-in it'll most likely do better.
Musta miss my techy one ragged holeless report eh!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Vangulil, it looks almost exactly like .300WinMag they have listed. The one I looked at has nicer wood and pad, it has 2 piece mounts, but the bolt knob has identical engraving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is interesting about the 2 piece mount. DOes it have back up irons? I wonder why it does not have the side mount? Even without the classic side mount, I still think it is a great buy and would much prefer it to any semi-custom made today. Please post some pics for us after you go back to the store!

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

There's just something not quite right about a G&H rifle in .300 WinMag. I guess I'm just a little sentimental or maybe getting a little old. By the way, Tudurgs, my little Savage imported Model 54 sporter, Leupold shod, was another one hole shooter with very common ammunition. Unfortunately it is in the possession of a friend who has a small collection of "My Father's Guns". Foolishly, I have kept souvenier targets from all guns mentioned. Occasionally I get them out for a look. Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

If its a G&H at 32-3500 I can't see how you will get hurt and can always get your money back.

Here is a semicustom 7 mm Mag from the 60's that I picked up a few years ago
It was restocked by a "MM Salem" (not a Monty) and still have no idea who did it.The mags may not be as desirable as an 06 but still have some appeal.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/469098.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/img/469099.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/img/469101.JPG

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
The reason for me buying my Kimber new, is barrel maintenance and ammo selection right off the bat. No bricks of Stingers and a good wirebrushings for me.
So MP, a factory testing of .220(center to center, mind you) is outstanding for a sporter, with proper break-in it'll most likely do better.
Musta miss my techy one ragged holeless report eh!

I ask what the average of five five-shot groups at 50 yards was, not a test target from the factory.

Last winter we put a new barrel on my Stevens 44 ½ and I have been testing ammo. Problem is I’m stuck with what’s available here in Alaska but the black-box Remington seem to work OK. The other day I went to the range with one of my schuetzen rifles and when setting out wind flags I notice there was not even a breeze. I had my 22 with me and I wanted to test off the forearm. The majority of the single shots I shoot all shoot better off the barrel than the forearm. I fired a couple of foulers then fired three five-shot groups off the barrel then two more off the forend.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.