March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hammergun, Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 398 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Before I move forward with a strip and clean, I am curious if this 'bubbling' finish is original, or something added later?

1899 Grade 1.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is common, especially if gun was kept some place that was warm. Shellac will get that "alligator skin".

Instead of stripping it, put some alcohol, but not dripping, on a lint free cloth and rub it in a circular motion over this finish and it will blend it in instead of not taking it off.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
It is common, especially if gun was kept some place that was warm. Shellac will get that "alligator skin".

Instead of stripping it, put some alcohol, but not dripping, on a lint free cloth and rub it in a circular motion over this finish and it will blend it in instead of not taking it off.

+1 on this suggestion. The only thing I'd add is to clean the wood first to remove accumulated dirt, skin oils, and grunge so it does not get mixed in with the old shellac when the alcohol dissolves it. I'd suggest cleaning the stock with Murphy's Oil Soap or a solution of household ammonia and water, rinsing and drying thoroughly before applying the alcohol soaked lint free pads. I picked up a 16 ga. L.C. Smith field grade a few years ago with a stock finish that looked even worse than yours, and it was dramatically improved by doing exactly this. Too much alcohol will completely strip a shellac finish.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Straight amber shellac is what was used on almost all American doubles.

Denatured alcohol is what you want to use to remove that crazing and clean/freshen the finish. It will remove some of it, but more can be added if need be.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

How did they apply the shellac?

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
Sidelock

What we can see of the checkering looks good, Mike.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wannagohunting
How did they apply the shellac?

Well, i wasnt there so i cannot say for aure. Some reports that i had heard that came out of the hunter arms factory was that on later guns low grade guns, they just dipped them whole. I do not know how much truth there is to that, but who knows.

Shellac can be applied in a number of ways and i am sure that the process used varried between manufacturers.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had read somewhere that the lower graded stocks were dipped also. The higher graded stocks had an oil finish and the highest graded ones were also an oil finish and the catalogs stated "as many coats as needed".

In my opinion to keep the patina, this stock does not need to be cleaned, it just needs the old finish revitalized.
This is an 0 grade that had some of the same problems.

This is an F grade hammer gun that wasn't stripped, just added more shellac.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think this is David's Ideal before refinishing

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good advice above. I would clean it lightly with Murphy's and maybe steel wool and mineral spirits if necessary. Then apply Bullseye Amber with a rag ball with a few drops of linseed on it. Dip the ball into the shellac and rub it on in small circles. This is essentially French polishing except you are rubbing out the worn old finish. The alcohol in the new shellac will dissolve the surface of the old. After the final pass rub it out with rottenstone mixed with linseed to get rid of swirls and imperfections. It will look good and still be original underneath.

As to the original finish, I don't think they could have dipped it in shellac because it would dry fast, run and make a mess. They may have dipped in linseed then brushed or sprayed the shellac.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.