March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 799 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 73 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 72 73
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Quote:
I had a big one try his best to climb in the boat with me

I had a similar experience one day fishing a bass tournament.
Spotted the bugger as he slid off a log and headed directly for my boat. I flipped a jig and chunk at him (which he apparently took exception to)and bee lined toward boat. I had the water beat to froth before he finally disappeared. eek Like the old Jim Stafford song...."I don't like spiders and snakes"

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hesitate to take the Game/Gun picture thread any further off topic, but just wondered whether anyone around here had ever been actually bit by a poisonous snake? I had a moccasin strike me once on the leg but it was a 'dry strike'. Worst of it was he got his fangs stuck in my pants leg and I did quite a dance before he came loose!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Had a rattler strike my work boot in Wyoming. Being from a snake free zone, I never expected it. The buzz didn't register, and I never gave snakes in the warm iron pile any thought.
Kinda felt like I hit my foot with a stick. Just a quick thump.
Little guy, maybe 18" long. No penetration near as I can tell.

They still aren't typically on my radar.
Hornets, now that's another matter entirely.

Out there doing it best I can.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, a local man I know was bitten above boot top by a rattler season before last when he was coming out of the woods at dark after deer hunting. He was hospitalized for a week. A turkey hunting buddy was bitten on the finger by a small cottonmouth. My buddy was cleaning out an ornamental fish pond in his yard this summer when the 12" moccasin nailed him. His finger swelled and the wound area blackened and sloughed off, but no anti-venom was necessary for treatment.
Lessons learned: wear snake boots when hunting the low country when temps are balmy and avoid yard work at all costs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Geo, and avoid yard work at all costs.

Dam straight!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys zeroed in on the important part. No yard work during hunting season! Not only is it time better spent chasing critters with guns, but also, one could get injured in doing yard work and be forced to miss some or all of the seasons. Much too risky. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

"one could get injured in doing yard work and be forced to miss some or all of the seasons."

You sure have that right Friend! Moved to SC and inherited a large wooden deck in desperate need of a mildew wash; which job was eventually tackled after weeks of constant "encouragement" from my wife. In the process I managed to slip and fall, broke my right femur at the hip joint; and haven't been able to do much of anything physically demanding since, especially hunting. That little mishap took place two plus years ago now, and the only hunting I can do these days is the "sit down" type (a couple of dove shoots and a deer hunt or two; can't even walk around in the woods w/o falling, the very thought of falling the source of nightmares now). Even have difficulty shooting skeet, as I lose my balance on recoil. In short, as I have always been a very active person who lived for outdoor adventures, these past two years have been no fun. So heed these yard work admonitions and believe me when I tell you that, if I could have a do-over of that fateful Saturday afternoon in October, 2013; I'd gladly pay a pro to wash that deck. Whatever the cost would have been a drop in the bucket to the surgery and doctor bills that resulted; and oh what I would have given to have avoided the pain and struggle to become "normal" again!

But please keep posting these great pics and hunting stories, as they are thoroughly enjoyed; and bring back so many memories of those great times enjoyed afield.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my 1938 Belgian Guild gun that I just refinished (my first refinishing project). It weighs in at 6 pounds 4 ounces and I had the chokes opened to IC/Mod. I took it out this past Saturday and got my first Ruffie. grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

VictoryXC: That is a neat little boxlock. Who made it? Also, where is all the snow? Pretty cool to still be out chasing grouse up there this late.

Topgun: Sorry to hear about your injury. I try to be grateful for every season that I get to enjoy. In the spirit of entertainment-value, here is my last little adventure....

.....and the reason for going:

As I mentioned on another website, birds are much easier to carry. The Red Gods have smiled upon me yet again. This Fall (2015) is shaping up to be a pretty good one for filling my freezer.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/03/15 08:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the immortal words of Police Chief, Martin Brody, "you're gonna need a bigger boat (sled)"

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 35 of 73 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.