March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (arrieta2, SKB, Borderbill, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 786 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 73 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 72 73
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Custom Fox 20 gauge.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD: Yeah.....you walk up on'em when it's all over and you know just how you're gonna feel the next day. We had two animals down, so I was bent over this one for something like four hours (it's much easier with a second set of hands), getting it ready for transport (IE., making it fit the sled).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: VictoryXC
This is my 1938 Belgian Guild gun that I just refinished (my first refinishing project). It weighs in at 6 pounds 4 ounces and I had the chokes opened to IC/Mod. I took it out this past Saturday and got my first Ruffie. grin

Another sweet Belgium built Guild gun similar to Snipe Hunters!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, that snake had really nice colors and he was a fatty. Would have made a really nice belt. Ive seen a variety of reactions from cottonmouths. Were the ones that appeared aggressive actually in a defensive mode and trying to intimidate? I dont know. Hopefully Jackson can get out soon. It wont be more than a couple of times this year because Im hunting very thick cover. I dont worry as much on the big open mud flats when the water is lower.

Stan, birds flushed to shots taken varies greatly. There have been days when I hunted large mud flats almost completely barren when I might flush 250 or more before getting enough birds to flush in range. This year is the exact opposite and the last few times I have flushed around a dozen birds. Seeing fewer birds caused me to take chances and break rules last Friday. Twice I shot two birds. My first rule is to never shoot a second bird (unless the first one falls in wide open water). My second rule is to never take my eyes off the exact mark of a fallen bird when retrieving it. I cant break rule number two without also breaking rule number one. Neither of those two incidents were true doubles but just pairs where the second bird flushed at the shot of the first. From where I shot the angles between the first and second were approximately 60 and 90 degrees. My punishment was spending at least forty-five minutes looking for three of the birds with some of that time on my hands and knees in marsh thick marsh grass waist high or taller.

CZ, I wish I could shoot that well. Just because you might have heard me say it on the internet doesnt make it so. Heck, I would be happy if I just had two guns that fit the same. I also only shoot birds on the flush as a rule. I dont shoot at passing birds because I feel that it is one of the things that will run heavily pressured birds off. I would rather just let them settle back in even if it is a quarter or a half mile away. The only time I will kill an overhead bird is if I have someone else with me and I can tell them to watch this before I shoot it.

George, I was a surveyor for twenty years. Once while working my instrument man came over to me with a small pygmy rattlesnake in the palm of his hand. He had two small streams of blood running down one of his fingers. There was no burning sensation so after making a couple of phone calls we went to a walk-in clinic. They took some blood which tested fine. I believe they were checking his white blood cell count but I could be mistaken. I think he also got a tetanus shot and then we went back to work.

VictoryXC, that is a nice looking gun, more ornate than my plain 20 gauge. I like a light gun too and that is one of the reasons I got mine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are too modest Skip.
If you can fill a strap with a 410 or 28, you are a fine shot.
My best day ever was 8/25. Though I have had days where I shot 5 straight.
Our terrain is different. Wet spots in pastures are good. Edges of marshes. Sheet water after a rain.
Never big numbers like you see.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've gotten close a couple of times with a 28 gauge. Once after missing the first bird of the day twice I killed the next eight birds with eight shells. Year before last I was using a different 28 gauge gun and with seven birds in my bag and seven empty shells in my pocket my heart was about to jump out of my chest. At the same time I had a feeling that I couldn't miss and of course when the next bird flushed the real shooter came out in me and I missed. It wasn't one of those cases where the gun was moving in one direction and as the trigger was pulled the bird did the zigzag move, it was just a missed shot. After that monkey was off my back I killed my last bird with the next shot. I forget what year I first shot snipe with a four-ten, I think it was 2006. I do know on that first day I brought home forty-two empty hulls. It was humbling. By the fourth or fifth time it wasn't quite as embarrassing. I'm thinking fourteen shells is as well as I have done with that gun on its and my best day. I did start one day off going five for four but that was with a 20 gauge gun. Since I'm already bragging, I will tell of what I consider my greatest shooting feat and without any embellishment. My old rainy day gun was a single-shot Boito four-ten hammer gun that was handed down. It weighs next to nothing, has a short barrel, and probably balances 3"-4" behind the trigger guard. I actually managed to bag five snipe in the pouring rain one day and did not use my entire box of shells. To me that is worth bragging about.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, went out today with my son Will, was a real nice day weather wise. Saw birds, I was lucky and was able to limit. Will got one and Raina did well. Could not complain about the day one bit, good company, good weather and good dog work.

I used my 16ga Ugartechea Model 1030

Will used his 16ga Sauer

And................Raina

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the positive comments!

Lloyd3, still no snow as of today.

I have not been able to figure out who the maker is. Stamps include 1)JF: Jean Falla - barrel maker 2)DH - unknown 3)TF - unknown 4)A 3 lobe crowned D - unknown 5)The number 12 - unknown

Last edited by VictoryXC; 12/05/15 11:42 PM.
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, my sons Will , Jim & I went out for a couple hours today, not much in the way of birds, saw very few. Just one of those days I guess. Anyway Jim was one only one who connected.

Jim was using his V. Sarasqueta 12ga 3CE

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's already into December and I'm just now having my first quail hunt of the season. Found one nice big covey and killed one bird. Then we jump shot a small slough hoping for some wood ducks and actually found about 20-30 green-winged teal. Was able to get my first one ever. Beautiful duck!

Page 36 of 73 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.