May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (R. Glenz, 12boreman, obsessed-with-doubles, ksauers1, 2 invisible), 472 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,802
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Helping your Father out of the woods is tough enough but helping your older brother out of the woods after he went through a couple bouts with Leukemia and while doing so remember watching him pitch 2 no-hitters in high school is crippling.

Slings? We know why your doing it.

But back to Mike's hunt!!!!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tw
Smart use of the orange tape as well.

That's so he can find it in the grass when he lays it down. wink
A buddy knew of a dog trainer in the Dakotas who spray painted his SKB SxS, butt to muzzle, day glow orange so he could find it in the grass after laying it down before correcting a dog. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a perfect day. Sad to think of how much Joe could have learned by just applying himself with a little effort and going to bed and then waking up at a decent time. Live and learn as they say but I wonder how much longer you are going to carry Joe as your student if he fails to make any real progress. Sometimes you've just got to admit some people are uneducatable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike that was a great hunt! Reminds me of some of my hunts in Georgia in the 60s and 70s. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike it is fortunate that you have such a lovely blue sky over it, because you hunt in some of the brownest prickly looking country I ever saw. If its all you got though I guess it must suit. Thanks for sharing a great hunt!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do have slings on all my upland hunting shotguns, everything except my sporting clays guns. They are great, I would NOT be without them on upland guns and long day's hunts. My first one came on a great old 1913 vintage Merkel 16 bore S x S that I bought at auction. I liked it so well I added them to others. Some guys may not like them, but I do!! Whatever works for you!!

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe should have drug himself out from under the covers. Looks like a great day chasing birds Mike. Good looking, happy pups as well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the best hunts I've been on were by myself. Not needing to keep track of partners, enjoying the loneliness-quietness of the outdoors, conversations with the dog(s)only.Very therapeutic in a world stuffed to the brim with distractions and deadlines. Thanks Mike for the pictorial and dialogue.

Ken

PS Not meant to be an allegory against hunting with Joe!! smile

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great hunt and photos, Mike! I love your dog, Jazzy. I was wondering if you had dog boots on the dogs? My black lab pup, Mazie, is just 8 mo. old and not ready for a real hunt. I imagine that it's easier to train Jazzy when you have older dogs she can learn from.
Jim

Last edited by Jim Cloninger; 12/10/15 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling

NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats on a fine Panhandle outing Mr. S.

Nice dog work ( both experienced and student in training) makes for a Fine outing..... As for Hunting/shooting alone ? Is there any better way to enjoy Bobwhites and Bird Dogs ?

Ah! , as to the Sling, I first had exposure to this "luxury" via my old shooting mentor from the "Deep South" who in his exposure to our Bobwhite "grounds" found it expedient to pass up all those English and Italian "BEST" and opt for a Continental double fitted with Sling swivels....

I have not given in to having swivels added to the Fabbri yet , but I do have one of his sling equipped doubles hidden out in the safe......

This warm weather is confining our outings to short mornings , BUT there are LOTS of Birds on the Rolling Plains.....

My 90 minute outing this morning yielded 13 coveys,Well handled Points on 11 of them (including one by my year old daughter of Coldwater Warrior).... took one bird out of each covey for a delightful outing.....

We Texans are truly living large this year...... Equal to 1987 around here, and certainly the Best season since 2006.....
Hoping your good shooting continues and Mr. Wood opts to join you at every opportunity.....It may be the last GREAT Quail season many of us will ever see....

Yours in Sport

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.