May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lloyd3, Roundsworth, 3 invisible), 299 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,071
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a nice rifle, I also vote for leaving the original initials on the rifle, at lease until you make an effort to learn who the original owner was. No. 2546 was not in my data-base of over 600 G&H rifles, but it is now. Hope you are able to post a picture.

Murphy, I'm sure if Emil McConnell knew the shock wave of price increases following the auction of his collection he would be amused.

Match shooters all clean their .22's with a brush. I believe that a proper rod guide and a tool steel one piece rod should be used and for rifle that cannot be cleaned from the breech. (like my 44 1/2) I use a pull through made from weed-whacker line for both
patch and brush.

I’ve had enough PM’s and emails about the Stevens .22 I thought I would try to answer all the questions at one time.

The original rifle is a Niedner false-barrel rifle with a 7 ½” .22 short chambering. The rifle was made using a No. 3 Winchester barrel so we got a Green Mountain Winchester No. 3 so a new forearm would not have to be made. The barrel is held by the treads and one screw from the bottom so it will make a good switch-barrel rifle. We followed the information published over the years by Bill Calfee in selecting the spot to cut and crown although with a tapered barrel we could not choose the breech end. The chamber reamer was a Calfee design, no taper, without rim cutter. The barrel is not yet blued and I’m still trying out different ammo to see what it likes. The targets were shot at 50 yards, no wind. About ever 100-200 rounds I clean with a bronze brush. When trying different ammo one wet patch followed by two dry before new ammo. The scope on the new barrel is a 12 power Unertl.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

A new screw in barrel held in place eh - not the most rigid platform!
...and such tiny groups?
Something I'd expect from a more modern bolt rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I may have been a bit unclear, the barrel screws into the action and there is keeper screw on the bottom of the action to keep it from backing out. To remove the barrel you loosen the set screw and unscrew the barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP, you weren't unclear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

By your picture MP, it looks as tho' one piece of the barrel screws into another barrel section? Not into the action.
Could this be?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Something like this!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
By your picture MP, it looks as tho' one piece of the barrel screws into another barrel section? Not into the action.
Could this be?

Yes, the pictures is of the original False-Barrel rifle, the new barrel screws into the frame. Here is a picture of the False-Barrel rifle with the two pieces screwed together. Looks like an ordinary rifle and if one never saw the seam then it looks normal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the "False-barrel rifle."
Something new to me!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael where do you find these neat rifles....oh your's is nice too Lowell I really like the cheap scope and rings. I expected to see a Rook shot through the eye.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
What is the "False-barrel rifle."
Something new to me!

Around the turn of the century gallery shooting (sort of an indoor Schuetzen shooting) was very popular, they shot .22 shorts at 75 feet offhand in a 100 round match. The final shoot off was at the Zettler gallery in New York City, folks came from all over the USA to compete. A.O. Niedner did some experimenting and decided that a barrel 7 ½” long would not foul with the black-powder shells of the day. So he built himself a gallery rifle with a 7 ½” barrel that is inside of the false-barrel.

If you look at the picture you can see Niedner with his Ballard which has a short barrel as well.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.