March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (WBLDon, jake van dyke, MattH, Mills, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 843 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 73 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 72 73
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting! I have a Birmingham (Cashmore) gun also badged for New Zealand, though no particular hardware store like yours. It is a damn good "meat gun".

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunwolf, my compliments as well on your full stocked Mauser. My reason for posting though is the picture of your red fox.

It may be the angle of the photo, but to me it appears that the animal has abnormally short legs; almost like a dachshund. Is that normal for European foxes?

I've seen foxes in Argentina which had such short legs; perhaps European transplants. Our foxes in the USA seem to have much longer legs...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, your New Zealand shooter is a lot nicer than my "Keeper Gun", but you are right, they make great knockabout guns. Is your dog an English Cocker? Looks like a fun dog to be around!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, mine is pretty nice condition and overall make but it's a long way from a "best gun".

The dog (the same in both pictures) is Gus and he is a 72# golden retriever. That second picture was taken opening weekend just shy of his 4-month birthday, so he looks like a little tyke. He is hell on the birds though.

Here he is again with a little bit of an Evans 16b

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice dog, BrentD !

@Geo:

Of course the legs of our Foxes are not as long as those of our girls... wink
But indeed there came several points together. 1. the angel of the picture. 2. all Foxes are very well fed this year. 3. they have a very thick Winter pelt. On the picture you can see some more of that day, and their legs seem to be "normal"...
But indeed my Fox (last picture) seems to be a bit short legged.

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, thanks for the compliments for my Mauser, but all the credit is due to him:

http://www.waffen-velser.de

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunwolf
Of course the legs of our Foxes are not as long as those of our girls... wink

That's for damn sure. smile smile smile smile smile smile grin smile grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I generally hunt in the evenings for 30-45 minutes and rarely shoot more than one bird. This evening Annie was working a mixture of Multiflora Roses and Reed Canary Grass. I couldn't see her, but could track her movement by her bell and the movement from the tops of the grass.
After her bell went quiet and the grass quit moving, I waited. I was about to throw a rock into the tangle when Annie bolted out the cover and ran along the edges for about 20 yards and then dove into the heavy stuff again, but this time she was coming to me.
Her bell sounded for a few seconds and then all was quiet and I could see her head and shoulders in the Multiflora Roses. She was on point facing the opposite direction from her original point.
She had run in front of the bird and headed it off. I've had only one dog that has performed that feat. As I stood there with a smile on my face the rooster cackled and went airborne. I shot the bird with my 16 Ga. using 1 oz. of #6 NP shot and bird folded, dead in the air.
I asked Annie to fetch and as soon as I said it I knew there was going to be a problem. The fence that she had to go through is a very tight 7 strand barbed wire fence with only about 6" of space between the wires.
She managed to get through the fence and scooped up the bird. Getting back was difficult with the bird in her mouth. She manage and added a few more rips to her vest, delivering the bird to me with tail buzzing.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to teach a dog to circle birds, hunt them in strip cover with the wind at your back. After a couple of screw ups the light will come on. How many depends on the dog. Most of mine, but not all, have learned to do this.

HTH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why kill a fox?
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 40 of 73 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.