March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ian Forrester, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, steve voss), 809 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 41 of 73 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 72 73
Sidelock
Sidelock

A no name Belgium hammer gun,31 inch blued Damascus barrels weighting slightly less than 6 lbs with a Pa.late season chocolate phase grouse taken over my setter Emma.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Why kill a fox?
JR

Well, there are several reasons:

1. It is a great hunting experience shooting a Fox (small, quick, smart) with a rifle. Much more difficult than to shoot a wild boar or deer.

2. The Fur is not only a trophy, but also welcome with my wife and suitable for many purposes.

3. In only wood hunting grounds the Fox normally is useful, but if population increased, they become ill with scabies, so it's better to shoot some in time.

It's always important to held the balance. In the region where the pictures are taken, they shoot Foxes only once or twice a year on about 3000 ha.

Cheers,
Gunwolf

BTW, in former times the Fox was shot for food. It was a quite desired delicacy on the Courts. Times and taste have changed! cool

Sidelock
Sidelock

And in many places, like here in CA, red foxes are an invasive species that causes havoc with ground nesting birds that aren't adapted to avoid them, as well as pushing out our native gray foxes ("tree foxes" where I come from).

In some areas, the resurgent coyote has solved this particular environmental problem (to supplement its ordinary diet of alley cats, Chihuahuas and senior citizens....).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunwolf, that was an amazing pic with the day's bag laid out on the ground. I'm curious, how many shooters were involved? You said driven? I assume that means beaters were involved? I ask as I've never participated in something of that nature, and the logistics intrigue me.

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mergus,
this is an old tradition in Germany. The game was laid on the floor on the right(!) side. Some of the hunters play a special signal for each kind of game, in this case: Wild Boar, Roe Deer, Fox and after that the signal "Hunt over". This is a moment of reflection for all of us.
I think in this hunt with beaters and of course several dogs, there were involved about 30-35 shots and about nearly as many beaters. We had 35 Wild Boar, 22 Roe Deer and 11 Foxes. It was a good hunt!

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunwolf, that is so interesting. Thanks for posting. We have some traditions, but not the same as yours. How about noodling for catfish, hunting raccoons with a jumping mule, using predator calls, or using a whistle to attract Sitka Blacktail deer ? All fun.

Did you save any of those early red fox recipes ? Daryl

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You gotta see a South Georgia deer drive with dogs....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
You gotta see a South Georgia deer drive with dogs....

That is...dogs, rednecks, pick-em-up trucks with mud tires and radios complete with tall antennas and a big dog box to sit on so as to stay off the ground and away from loose buckshot rounds!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

A South Georgia dog drive might involve 25 people or more and if anyone kills anything, the horns, if any, go to the lucky shooter, and he or she gets a hind-quarter. The rest is cut up and everyone goes home with some meat...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dollysods, I've heard of red and gray phase ruffed grouse, but never a chocolate phase. Are they common?...Geo

Page 41 of 73 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.