March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AZMike, jcn, battle, Jim H., Lloyd3, Gerry Addison), 831 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 73 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 72 73
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Gunwolf, that is so interesting. Thanks for posting. We have some traditions, but not the same as yours. How about noodling for catfish, hunting raccoons with a jumping mule, using predator calls, or using a whistle to attract Sitka Blacktail deer ? All fun.

Did you save any of those early red fox recipes ? Daryl

Daryl, her you find a recipe of today. In Switzerland they use to eat the so called "Fuchspfeffer", a special meal as you can see in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQscFhF5iiQ

But they made a mistake in my eyes, because they didn't look for trichina, which is very, very important, because the Fox is an all eater as well as the Wild Boar!

Will look for an old recipe and let you know.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wolfgang, is trichina the same as trichinosis here. ? A disease from pork , here, but mostly eliminated today. We loved your youtube cooking adventure, but I am not sure, yet, if I would order fox in a restaurant. Thank you for your effort. Look forward to an "old" recipe. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Daryl, it is. The old recipes for Fox all included a 3 day long watering of the meat in a running water...After this, the procedure is like with hare.
I'm not really curious for the taste and beside this, in Germany it is prohibited to eat "Caniden" But I'm happy to get the wonderful fur of those Foxes. My latest Fox gives together with a Raccoon a nice background for the new Mauser Custom Rifle of a friend:

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Gunwolf, I had the pleasure of hunting when I was in Germany 1966-67. I became friends with a German fireman who worked on our kaserne and I was invited to hunt on his father's place when I told him I had bought a Remington 11-48,.410. He asked what I was going to shoot with this as he had a Franchi 20ga. I told him I could kill as much as he could with his.
In the mornings we hunted just with myself, my friend his son and the father. The afternoon is when hunters arrived to go on a big hunt for Hungarian partridge, hares but too early for pheasant as they would not bring as much at the market if not fully plumaged. All the game was sold and you could buy it from them if you wanted.

I was wondering if that is still the tradition.

David, in some regions it is still so - but of course in general there is much less small game today in Germany! In contrary the number of big game, especially Wild Boar but also Red Deer has increased.
But the german hunting tradition is always the same. We lay it on the ground, called "Strecke legen" and bid farewell to the game with horn signals:

And be sure: All is organized very well, no matter if hunting in the woods or in the fields. wink

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Signal "Fuchs tot":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sf5UUtpfy0

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Last edited by Gunwolf; 12/18/15 03:18 PM.
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, Will and I went out for a 1/2 day hunt, saw birds, but getting wild, that time of year. Anyway, Will tickled one, but didn't bring him down. I was able to get 2 so it was a good day for me. Will see what tomorrow brings.

I used my 12b Henry Atkin, sure like this gun!

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunwolf, thanks for sharing the photos of the hunting tradition of your land. Greg, nice Atkin. I have his boxlock stepbrother. Had some spare time today and looked for ‘doodles for several hours. Only had two flush and got the gun on one. It was just me and my best girls, Willa and Abby. Here’s typical woodcock habitat down here. This is ideal as the rivercane mixed with palmettos is about chest to shoulder high.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This one is just 3 hours old. It isn't a great picture. The light was lousy and then some, but it was a GREAT afternoon with some excellent dog work.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, a moment of truth: you are too old for tramping around in that jungle. Hire some assistants to go ahead of you with machetes and chop out a path. Especially for a 2oz. piece of liver on a stick. Cool gun though...Geo

Page 43 of 73 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.