March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I reload with WinAA hulls and American Select powder, and want to make some spreader loads for a fixed choke (M/F) SxS. BPI does not have any recipes for their spreader wads (Brush, Light Brush or Disperser) using that powder/hull combo.

Anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy some Polywad discs. Reduce your normal shot charge by 1/4 ounce. Place the disc on top of the shot. Place 1/8 ounce of shot on top of the disc and crimp as usual. Your final spreader load will be 1/8 ounce lighter than your pet load.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike has an excellent photo comparision of various spreader load techniques at the 16 ga. forum in the ammo-reloading secion. It's a recent thread concerning spreader loads. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 12g spreaders are 7/8 oz, dropped in a 1 0z wad. polywad yellow disk on top. Crimped normally. Used to use same powder charge as no spreader, recently dropped one powder bushing for the spreaders.

Mikes post on 16 G is the best I have seen on spreaders. I don't use mine much, crazy short targets on a clays course that's all. When the target needs one they are nice to have.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 12/19/15 08:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had good spreader loads by cutting over shot cards (OSC's ) halfway and inserting them into each other to form an X. The X is place in the shot cup or if you use card and fiber wads, on top of the last filler wad. The shot is then put in as normal. I have opened tight full to mod and tight mod to IC using the X and card and fiber wads.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know if you have the BPI "Advantages" book, but they discuss the Extreme spreader usage. Push the spreader into the top of your favorite load. It displaces a little under 1/8 oz. of shot. Do you have a good 1 1/8 oz load using your hulls/powder? You will end up with about a 1 oz. load.

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently loading a 1oz load in the WinAA hulls, so an insert might force me down to 7/8 oz. Not the end of the world but I am trying to see if there are any other options before going that route. I may try loading some of the BPI Brush Wads and send them out for testing. If I do, I post the results here.

I did some comparison patterning of various spreader loads a while back, and found the Polywad shells threw the most open patterns but I found the pattern distribution were not as effective as some other spreader shells. It would be interesting to see if the results differed using a Polywad insert in another load.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...8662#Post338662

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I liked the results Mike Campbell posted on the 16 ga. forum using the Polywad insert and loading 1/8 Oz. on top of the insert rather than all shot underneath. I don't know what quarry you are pursuing, but if you drop down a shot size, you'll more than compensate number wise for the loss of an 1/8 oz. In that the shot will be closer, the smaller shot will not lose as much energy at the distance intended as opposed to using it on longer shots. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,

About 10 years ago I loaded 1 oz 7 1/2 Magnum shot with the BP LB12 wad + overshot wad in AA hulls w/23.5 gr PB as per the BP "High Performance Loads for Clays" manual.

I don't have any specific performance data to give you other than my notes in the manual say "Not Worth The Effort". If I remember correctly I was trying to improve grouse & woodcock range performance in a gun that was choked .010" & .020".

Since RST came out with their spreader loads I've stuck with that for most of my grouse & woodcock hunting. It doesn't open the pattern dramatically but it does give a very even distribution of shot w/o dense centers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple points:

1) you don't have to sacrifice any shot. You can concoct a spreader in any payload size that is acceptable for the gauge. You just need to select a starting recipe for a load 1/8 ounce larger than your goal. If you're using 1 ounce regularly and want a 1 ounce spreader, peruse the data for a 1 & 1/8 ounce recipe using your favorite components (you may have to change the wad) and delivering the velocity/pressure you want.

2) you can't have your cake and eat it too. Recognize that a spreader load is not a panacea but actually just a solution to a problem with a fairly narrow set of parameters.

Most patterns are of normal distribution...meaning the pattern density is greater in the center and thins towards the fringes. It's this hot core that allows a cylinder choke to obliterate targets at very close range and actually break some targets with authority at 50 yards.

If I introduce a systematic error that will disrupt the pattern and skew the pellet distribution, like a foreign object in the shot column I can ruin the normal distribution. If I use something that not only disrupts and spreads the hot core, but creates large and unpredictable voids in the pattern, I've ruined it to the point of uselessness.

The goal is to move some of the pellets from the hot core toward the outer edges, thus a) increasing the effective pattern diameter (helping to hit the target) while b) diminishing the likelihood of mangling a centered target. I’m searching here for the mythical “even pattern”, a result often alluded to but virtually nonexistent.
Obviously, (a) is a worthy goal for target shooting...every chipped target is scored an X.
But, (b) is non-essential for target shooting and, IMO, not justification for hunting with spreaders which, I believe, carries too high a risk of crippling game and, worse, injuring a dog.

Back to point (2)....spreaders have a narrower range of effectiveness than a cylinder choke, but within that range they can be even more useful.

As a hypothetical example, assume a cylinder pattern that has optimal spread:density at 20 yds. At 10-15 yds it will obviously have more than adequate density but the spread will be smaller, making it a bit tougher to hit the target. At 25-30 yds the pattern will obviously be wider but thin enough at the edges that the effective pattern is no larger; maybe even smaller but, by virtue of core density, still capable of breaking the target with a well-centered pattern. So, the ideal range of a cylinder choke might cover 15-30 yds.

A well-concocted spreader pattern can be significantly wider than a cylinder pattern at 15 yards and have near-optimum density throughout. But, because of the thinner core density, if it’s optimum at 15 yards it may be inferior at only 25 yards and totally useless at 30 yards.

The only way to know to know a spreader’s performance is to test...your concoction in your gun at your preferred distance. Don’t fall for the casual “ expect one choke difference and only from a tightly choked gun,” or “don’t expect to open to more than IC from a Full choke.” Choke performance has conventionally been discussed as a percentage in a 30” circle at 40 yds. Good enough for mathematical comparisons but wholly irrelevant to real world shooting. It’s absolutely imperative to pattern spreaders at the distance you will shoot, and limit shots to a narrow range or be prepared for disappointment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.