April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (3 invisible), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Please. The Italians cannot make a gun that compare with anyone from Brit background. I'd take a Nelson or a Brown over and gaudy EYEtalian thing.

OWD, I can understand that there are those who do not like or appreciate the asthetics of some guns. However, asthetics aside, makers like Fratelli Rizzini produce guns that are equal to perfection along with some of the more well known English names. Fratelli Rizzini puts about 1000 hours of hand labor into their guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The RBL, of course!

Thorny, look back at the original post. You won't buy a new A&N these days, so that puts them out of the running. Back when they were selling guns (they never actually made any), however, you could get some pretty nice stuff from them--for less than a comparable Purdey or Boss would have cost you. Of course Purdey and Boss made best guns only, whereas the vast majority of the guns A&N sold were the much more utilitarian boxlocks.

I've been to the H&H works, and they certainly use some pretty sophisticated machinery--but a lot of the work is still done by hand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's the last file stroke that makes a best gun.
I think the "best" guns vary in quality based on whether you are the makers patron or not. If you aren't buying alot of them (and they know who you are) you won't be getting that last file stroke on a new gun.

I vote for longevity. Some of these companies have created a process, and have lasted past many generations. Knowing they'll be there comforts me a great deal. After that, it's pick what you like. I like deep relief engraving, so that shortens the list considerably.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Saying Italian best guns can't compare to English best guns reveals only a lack of knowledge of either. It is one thing to look at someone elses best gun order and say you don't think it compares to something else you have seen, quite another to step up to the plate and select one's idea own idea of a best gun, and then, of course, pay, and wait for it. I've handled some Granger guns that were simply breathtaking, with ornamental stock carving that was not of my taste, but, that didn't mean it they weren't best guns. They were. They just weren't done in my taste. If I had the coin, I'd be over with Richard Levi today, telling him how to build my gun, without any stock carving, of course, but, I don't. I had dinner and a night on the town with the man, and he is a great individual, who can see to it that you get exactly what you want in a best gun, that would easily compare with anything built anywhere else in the world, at any time in history.

The wild card, of course, is will you actually get what you pay for. I've also seen some English guns that were supposed to be best guns, that simply weren't-Henry Ford IIs pair of 1947 vintage Purdery's were sub-par in finishing. Might just be me, but, I get a little sad when I see a Boss with the 1/2 inch tall letters on the side proclaiming "Boss's Patent".

Of course it's a Boss-look at the house engraving. Why did they feel the need to screw up that lovely rose and scroll with block letters on the side?

The Italians can build anything you want, to any level you want. So can the French, the Germans, the English, and the Spaniards.
Not everyone can pay a skilled team's wages for several years labor. Looking at someone elses best gun order, and thinking it isn't the best gun for you misses the point a bit.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen & Ladies, I am ask this 'Question" often. I try to break it down this way. Country of Origin, be it Austria, Germany, Czechoslovakia,Finland, Prussia, Sweden,Russia,Poland,Hungary,Denmark,Spain,Italy,North America, South America, Brazil,Mexico.India,China, Ireland,Norway, Scotland, and of course,"Merrie Olde Mecca'....'OOppss,England, North of Birmingham, Birmingham Proper, South of Birmingham,London. Now I know 'Webers Scholars' will be 'Critiqueing'(SP) this, sorry If I left a few countries out,(Like Pakistan, Ethiopia, Kenya)But...Would'nt one have to 'Pull each piece completely 'Down'to be able to evaluate the standard of Craftsmanship??? Then of course we would have to determine if the work of "THE DECORATORS" could be, in any way classified in the"Made in the World"....Following is a'Quote from a Seasoned Gunmaker' (From the Old School of'Hacksaw & File')We Incidentaly,served our time together at Purdey's,1953-59......"Fortunately I have some very nice customers. They know their guns and appreciate that the quality of a gun is what is behind the engraving- while beautifully executed engraving will always enhance a gun, ultimately it is the quality of overall workmanship which matters. We strive to achieve the highest possible standards". Peter Nelson. Trevallion/cc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best Side by Side is the best you can afford...no doubt the best made is English.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,
I was at Yorke and Wallin last Tuesday, Mark Wallin says hello and Mark Curley who was 'the boy' when you visited asks to be remembered to you. Quote "Is he the nice man with white hair? He's alright, he is."Obviously he's a man now and they are doing okay.
Regards,
Salopian

Dear Crossedchisels-You Brits still believe the wogs begin at Calais. I assume that there was some purpose to the lack of inclusion of France in your list.

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, Certainly not "Intentional"...Still suffering some Reaction to "Beers on the Beach" 1800 hrs. 6-6-07.and the sore shoulder from the 12.9/16th stock length of the WW2 Enfield. 21 rds. Had to use the Left hand to raise the Glass for the next 2 days!!!!!Have always had french firearms in the dt collection.Plus 'Have been known to 'Whack a few splinters off the odd french walnut stock-blank" in the last 54yrs. dt/cc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Couldn't be a better gun in the world then a Luciano Bosis, when that good looking gal that translates for Luciano at The Vintage Cup is displaying the lockwork!!!

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.