April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (graybeardtmm3, Ducks Rx, Stanton Hillis, Jimmy W, Fudd, 1 invisible), 465 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,199
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
ML Offline OP
OP Offline

Just wondered what is considered the best side by side that is made in the world today. Not a machine made shotgun or double rifle, but handmade, hand-fitted and hand-stocked side by sides. Please post pic's if you have any.

Regards

M.L. Hipp

Sidelock
Sidelock

The one I can't afford. :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Because of reverence for age and length of building side by sides to the exclusion of vitually everything else, the English build the best. Plus the English gun has been tested in Africa, India and similar continents against the most dangerous animals and they have been tested in the most rugged conditions. Purdey, Boss, Atkin,Grant & Lang, Webley & Scott, Rigby, they have the history tracing their roots back to the 17th century. But good lord are they expensive!!!
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that all guns are machine made today to some extent. What seperates the best is the actual man hours involed in the finishing and fit of the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no one name answer to your question. There are 60+ gunmakers who can make you a "best" gun by anyone's standards. Generally, they work as a world trade these days; barrels, actioning, stocking, engraving, finishing, etc. all done in different countries. Such guns are usually +$50,000 and many months in the making. Some of the very best craftsmen are literally booked for life. There enough people "voting" for their favorite craftsman at $50,000 - $100,000+ a pop to keep all these 60+ guys in business; as I said, no single answer.

Were I "voting," I'd "vote" at Hartmann & Weiss.

OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't Fabbri make a few SxS guns. If so, they would likely be contenders. What's the deal with the "Stainless steel and Titanium alloy" guns bannered on the website?

OB

Granger!

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by C. J. Opacak; 06/08/07 02:43 PM.

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
There is no one name answer to your question.

Agreed, perfection can be equaled, but it can not be surpassed. It would come down to asthetics and personal taste from those makers who currently offer a "best gun".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fabbri, Holland & Holland and Purdey are some that are right up there. The absolute finest probably were made many years ago. As Kevin said, none of them are completely handmade. Few, if any, were truly handmade 100 years ago, either.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would throw Michael Louca of Watson Bros hat in the ring. I have handled one of his weapons, and it was special. Some say the top italian makers are right up there today.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chicago
Some say the top italian makers are right up there today.

Without question Fratelli Rizzini, Fratelli Piotti and Ivo Fabbri. I would give FAMARS an honorable mention too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns at this price should have a long well known history - to all shooters.
After all, your paying for the name also!
Boss, Purdey and H&H come to mind, and are not sounding too gibberishly foreign when showing the boys at the VFW Hall's turkey shoot.
For that kind of money, London is still the best place to shop.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about Stoeger or Baikel?

Just kidding!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
How about Stoeger or Baikel?

Maybe Ed Landers will start making guns...

Sidelock
Sidelock

One would have to include Peter Hofer as one of todays top double gun makers, I second Hartmann & Weiss also. I would guess if you had the money, any of todays top quality double gun makers would build you "todays best gun". OB, I think Fabbri advertised that gun for somethinhg like $250,000 for the Safari Club Int auction maybe. Anyways, if I had the money it would cost to buy the worlds best double, Id much rather buy a ton of other rifles and shotguns.

Last edited by CMWill; 06/08/07 10:57 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please. The Italians cannot make a gun that compare with anyone from Brit background. I'd take a Nelson or a Brown over and gaudy EYEtalian thing.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

After all, your paying for the name also!
only the ego driven care to pay for a name on anything...
The very best gun, is the one you have made for yourself, You can go crazy thinking any other way..

Sidelock
Sidelock

chux, if you buy a Boss, Boss will be chargin' you for their good name...and if you buy a Boss, you'll be wanting that good name.
So, you'll be payin' for name.
It is said, anyone can serve you up a best gun...Why then would a Boss & Co, be three to four times more expensive than a Army&Navy best made gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Greener would take some beating?

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Please. The Italians cannot make a gun that compare with anyone from Brit background. I'd take a Nelson or a Brown over and gaudy EYEtalian thing.

OWD, I can understand that there are those who do not like or appreciate the asthetics of some guns. However, asthetics aside, makers like Fratelli Rizzini produce guns that are equal to perfection along with some of the more well known English names. Fratelli Rizzini puts about 1000 hours of hand labor into their guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The RBL, of course!

Thorny, look back at the original post. You won't buy a new A&N these days, so that puts them out of the running. Back when they were selling guns (they never actually made any), however, you could get some pretty nice stuff from them--for less than a comparable Purdey or Boss would have cost you. Of course Purdey and Boss made best guns only, whereas the vast majority of the guns A&N sold were the much more utilitarian boxlocks.

I've been to the H&H works, and they certainly use some pretty sophisticated machinery--but a lot of the work is still done by hand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's the last file stroke that makes a best gun.
I think the "best" guns vary in quality based on whether you are the makers patron or not. If you aren't buying alot of them (and they know who you are) you won't be getting that last file stroke on a new gun.

I vote for longevity. Some of these companies have created a process, and have lasted past many generations. Knowing they'll be there comforts me a great deal. After that, it's pick what you like. I like deep relief engraving, so that shortens the list considerably.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saying Italian best guns can't compare to English best guns reveals only a lack of knowledge of either. It is one thing to look at someone elses best gun order and say you don't think it compares to something else you have seen, quite another to step up to the plate and select one's idea own idea of a best gun, and then, of course, pay, and wait for it. I've handled some Granger guns that were simply breathtaking, with ornamental stock carving that was not of my taste, but, that didn't mean it they weren't best guns. They were. They just weren't done in my taste. If I had the coin, I'd be over with Richard Levi today, telling him how to build my gun, without any stock carving, of course, but, I don't. I had dinner and a night on the town with the man, and he is a great individual, who can see to it that you get exactly what you want in a best gun, that would easily compare with anything built anywhere else in the world, at any time in history.

The wild card, of course, is will you actually get what you pay for. I've also seen some English guns that were supposed to be best guns, that simply weren't-Henry Ford IIs pair of 1947 vintage Purdery's were sub-par in finishing. Might just be me, but, I get a little sad when I see a Boss with the 1/2 inch tall letters on the side proclaiming "Boss's Patent".

Of course it's a Boss-look at the house engraving. Why did they feel the need to screw up that lovely rose and scroll with block letters on the side?

The Italians can build anything you want, to any level you want. So can the French, the Germans, the English, and the Spaniards.
Not everyone can pay a skilled team's wages for several years labor. Looking at someone elses best gun order, and thinking it isn't the best gun for you misses the point a bit.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen & Ladies, I am ask this 'Question" often. I try to break it down this way. Country of Origin, be it Austria, Germany, Czechoslovakia,Finland, Prussia, Sweden,Russia,Poland,Hungary,Denmark,Spain,Italy,North America, South America, Brazil,Mexico.India,China, Ireland,Norway, Scotland, and of course,"Merrie Olde Mecca'....'OOppss,England, North of Birmingham, Birmingham Proper, South of Birmingham,London. Now I know 'Webers Scholars' will be 'Critiqueing'(SP) this, sorry If I left a few countries out,(Like Pakistan, Ethiopia, Kenya)But...Would'nt one have to 'Pull each piece completely 'Down'to be able to evaluate the standard of Craftsmanship??? Then of course we would have to determine if the work of "THE DECORATORS" could be, in any way classified in the"Made in the World"....Following is a'Quote from a Seasoned Gunmaker' (From the Old School of'Hacksaw & File')We Incidentaly,served our time together at Purdey's,1953-59......"Fortunately I have some very nice customers. They know their guns and appreciate that the quality of a gun is what is behind the engraving- while beautifully executed engraving will always enhance a gun, ultimately it is the quality of overall workmanship which matters. We strive to achieve the highest possible standards". Peter Nelson. Trevallion/cc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best Side by Side is the best you can afford...no doubt the best made is English.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,
I was at Yorke and Wallin last Tuesday, Mark Wallin says hello and Mark Curley who was 'the boy' when you visited asks to be remembered to you. Quote "Is he the nice man with white hair? He's alright, he is."Obviously he's a man now and they are doing okay.
Regards,
Salopian

Dear Crossedchisels-You Brits still believe the wogs begin at Calais. I assume that there was some purpose to the lack of inclusion of France in your list.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, Certainly not "Intentional"...Still suffering some Reaction to "Beers on the Beach" 1800 hrs. 6-6-07.and the sore shoulder from the 12.9/16th stock length of the WW2 Enfield. 21 rds. Had to use the Left hand to raise the Glass for the next 2 days!!!!!Have always had french firearms in the dt collection.Plus 'Have been known to 'Whack a few splinters off the odd french walnut stock-blank" in the last 54yrs. dt/cc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Couldn't be a better gun in the world then a Luciano Bosis, when that good looking gal that translates for Luciano at The Vintage Cup is displaying the lockwork!!!

Mr. T, I am pleased to find that the ommission was not intentional. How could it have been with a name such as yours that has more than a touch of the Norman. Regards

Mr. T, I am pleased to find that the ommission was not intentional. How could it have been with a name such as yours that has more than a touch of the Norman. Regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why then would a Boss & Co, be three to four times more expensive than a Army&Navy best made gun?
Same reason a 100 handicap golfer buys all the latest and "best" golf equipment,,because the companies know someone will...does not make it the best for that person...

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Boss gun may not be the best idea for the clerk's wage - but for the chaps that could!
When you travel with that crowd, a Boss is the thing to have.
Much less, and you'd be looking for those odd days with those hanger-ons.
It is an expensive sport, and you must have the trappings to play.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
A Boss gun may not be the best idea for the clerk's wage - but for the chaps that could!

When asked, if he had ever considered a Boss, King George VI, king of England, replied: "A Boss gun, a Boss gun, bloody beautiful but too bloody expensive."
What else can you say?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with George Rex. The best side-by-side made in the world is the one that fits and shoots so well for us that there's no hesitation about what gun is going out the door with us next morning. With me it's the 20ga SKB and 12ga Army&Navy. All the rest is ego and cosmetics.

Last edited by King Brown; 06/10/07 10:46 AM.

Mr. Brown: With this, I concur completely. I have had several Merkel sidelocks crafted in 28 gauge, beautiful, but to shoot a brace of quail, or a string of doves, its the 147E that came out of the closet. On that particular gun, the swing and point makes up for all else.

To me, a true "Best Gun" is the one that a person can shoot the best!

Jameister
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jameister, thanks, it's always nice to know others feel similarly on these things.

Also no need for formality with me. Respect for age and politeness is a true mark of civility but we've been together here long enough to enjoy the intimacy of friends.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "true best guns," are tested time after time, year after year on the estates, by those who could shoot and those who could afford to shoot.
Those who have the lessers guns, were the hired help!
...and how keen of a shot can they be - when they've only shot a keeper's day or two a year hmmmmm?
Now, I'm all for the commoner, but lets get real!

Sidelock
Sidelock

. . . and Nixon bowled some good lines always using the same alley. Nothing like the groove of driven shooting! Is the helmet still over there on the other thread?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit, I know your trying to tell me something!
But....
Owd Lowell doesn't have his thinking cap on today!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell, I can't allow you to say potAHto too many times without countering with potAto. Now I've dOne it; signs of Homeless orthography syndrome.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to admit...I must be tOO hard headed also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

People that think that money makes class are truly clueless...If you feel this way then I feel sorry for you.

"The "true best guns," are tested time after time, year after year on the estates, by those who could shoot and those who could afford to shoot."
I handed my Mod. 42 to a bird boy in Argentina and he could kill 25 out of a box and he couldn't afford a gun, but he could shoot. My point, to him that pump gun was the best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Blindfolded you pick up a Rizzini and a Boss you probably couldn't tell the difference or comparing any of the top Belgium, France, Italy and German makers in that test. However, who said "One test beats a thousand expert opinions". Only the English gun has been tested time and time again, over the centuries in the most rugged of conditions against the most dangerous animals and in the most brutal climate any firearm can endure. No other firearm manufacturer can even hold a 'candle' to the history of the English gun.
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Blindfolded, I could tell the difference between a Boss and an Italian gun. Hell, I could tell the difference between a Boss & a Holland just by picking it up (even if blindfolded). A Boss has a look and feel that's all its own. So does an H&H Royal, a Purdey, a Lang, etc.

All those guns have their own looks. And if you want that look with the maker's name on it, you'll pay for it. Are they better? The market sure thinks so. Guys dream about owning a Purdey and they big the big buck for them.

And they all feel better than a Fli Rizzinis. Over and over people tell me how great those guns are, but every one I see leaves me cold.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

chux, we should be thankful for the uppish class - without them, there'd be no best guns - just stew-pot shooters. There are some circles where money can't pave your way. Where the newly rich are nixed and bane, and only old blood counts.
I'm neither, so don't feel sorry for me!
Class is everywhere - one man's ceiling, is another man's floor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm trying hard to think this thru, Lowell. Vickie R. shopped at A&N. And Georgy 6 took the Filene's Basement approach to Boss value. The Royals must really enjoy playing against type.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your trying hard to think about this!
What about ol' Lowell?
Rabbit, what is u talkin' 'bout?

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 06/10/07 11:10 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD, You're not getting my point, if we argue about fit and finish of best guns we all have our own preferences and opinions, which is fine. But the one thing we have to agree on is the history and the rich heritage of the English gun. No other gun has been tested like the English gun.
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Blindfolded you pick up a Rizzini and a Boss you probably couldn't tell the difference or comparing any of the top Belgium, France, Italy and German makers in that test. However, who said "One test beats a thousand expert opinions". Only the English gun has been tested time and time again, over the centuries in the most rugged of conditions against the most dangerous animals and in the most brutal climate any firearm can endure. No other firearm manufacturer can even hold a 'candle' to the history of the English gun.
All the best

If this is true how do you explain Beretta the oldest manufacturing firm in the world? I think it can be safely stated that they have stood the test of time. What constitutes "best" in a shotgun also applies to other categories such as auto,wines,spirits and women* and,of course,is highly subjective and based upon everyones individual whims and predjudices.
With the resources Beretta has at its disposal they could build shotguns unrivaled by anyone else in the world should they chose to do so and have deep enough pockets so they could afford to sell them as loss leaders.
Jim
*My personal preferences are Porsche,Fine Bordeaux Wines,Single Malt Scotches and I'll skip over woman since this is a public forum.

Last edited by italiansxs; 06/10/07 11:35 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my previous post I said the English concentrated on the double barrel almost to the exclusion of all others. Beretta has been around the longest but they did not concentrate exclusively on double barrels as heavily as the English have. And its their history of field work that makes the English the best.
All the best

Last edited by treblig1958; 06/10/07 11:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I must attempt to explain, LG. Put the coupon clipping Royals aside for the moment. Let's get back to Nixon the kegler and his private lane. There is always a hometown, homefield advantage. It doesn't always pay to want to play baseball with the Japanese. So the Brits were the evolutionary cap on the doublegun and they had their way for awhile shooting big cats and whatnot round the old empirial playground with the bore rifle or whatever. And their way of shooting fish in a barrel is socially and sartorially bizarre and intriguing There are other playgrounds. I understand that Sarasqueta could also be considered the gun of Kings--in pre-Civil War Spain. Is it a copy? Certainly. Still their "best" in a domestic product. You want innovation rather than slavish copying. How about Lefever? Bit of evolutionary energy there. Is an Optimus Grade a best? Why not? Might be our national best. Need to get the frogs, wogs, Yanks, etc. to stay in the home pond long enuf to do some accounting in a less global context. In fact, the French don't seem to have a bit of problem with knee-soiling insecurities; they may have gotten their lunch eaten several times over as a result but a certain portion of uncritical, self-centered autonomy is necessary to an identity as a nation or as a person. Can genius coexist with genius or does it always have to be last man standing?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not voting...I'm just adding a historical note...as no one has mentioned it so far
I thought Griefelt engineers made a special point of setting the high water mark in the 1930's, by copying the best British sidelock known, combined with the most luxurious materials selection and heat treating processes, using alloys generally not available to the British. It became a national pride sorta thing to showcase the Germans world leadership role in metallurgy...I don't think many were made...and many German collectors prize them above anything British (like Kuchenreuter)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd have to vote for a particular gun. That Purdey serial #6 (if memory serves right) is a double flinter by James own hand. It probably killed a million birds and the stock was in about 4 pieces before renewed by that crazy Brit on this site. I have to say there is something simply glorious and haunting about holding a Manton or Purdey double flinter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Comparing a Best German SxS to a Best English SxS is like comparing a Volks'vagen to a Bentley.

Sidelock
Sidelock

London has put out the best gun by the thousands over the years, each one the very best it could be. Here in American you can count these ultra high grades(Optimus)on your hands and toes.
Practice makes perfect in the best gun trade.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If Volkswagen is not your cup of tea, try Porsche.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The guns be darned. The "marketing of the guns" has been mastered by the Italians, as is suggested by Researcher. "Yes, ma'am, it would be a pleasure to examine your locks."

Sidelock
Sidelock

For smooth bore it's easy, the one with "soul" of Jos Manton and Col Hawker. It's the most "Ghostly" of the bunch! Rifles are tricky I'm still reading the Rifle....by S.R.Truesdell and The Rifle Story by Walter. It's going to take plenty of time for me to answer this question.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How (why) is it that brand preferences in character, tradition, reliability, history, quality, and other similar traits differ so much in the minds of different people with similar backgrounds in the shooting sports? Why is it that some of the guns in my collection mean so much to me but are just so much iron to some of my buddies who also follow this hobby? The same situation exists with their guns in my mind. Others, like "Researcher", have a great appreciation for the salesman!

Sidelock
Sidelock

We "differ so much" because of where and how and with whom we grew up, what we read and saw in our formative years, our notions of the authentic i.e. reproductions of any kind are abhorrent to me; to carry a Purdey would be a conceit. This may have greater influence than sharing similar backgrounds in the shooting sports. Thank god others think differently.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You mean there is something bettern than a Model 21?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Comparing a Best German SxS to a Best English SxS is like comparing a Volks'vagen to a Bentley.

Now Now:
From a reliability perspective which one would you rather be driving if you were going to make a trip coast to coast?
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lemme see, Toyota Camry? Twin 50s on a monopod would be a good choice for some purposes.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ferrari from May to August.

Sidelock
Sidelock

GerMan guns mAke me think of CuUuckoO clOcks, rEd slate FFireplace and a fest inspiring ChristmaS tree. I get that warm und fuzzy feelin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, "to carry a Purdey would be a conceit."
Well then, you place too much on the gun.
To carry a Sterlingworth would be a badge of honor then?
I've a AH Fox Sterlingworth, AH Fox AE and a Remmy 1894 AE that I romanticize about the way it used to be(in my mind anyway).
But!
For sheer gunning, its hard to beat the London gun.

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 06/11/07 04:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't imagine that someone who has a knowledge and an appreciation for high quality guns with historical significance and is a heck of a shot in the field and moor (and on the ring) would be much criticized if he appeared on a shoot with a fairly high quality gun of any maker or origin, as long as the barrels were side by side. Some shooters of extremely high ability may even be excused for appearing with a gun with barrels one above the other. In other words, a shooter of high ability and knowledge about guns of quality may be within the realm of acceptability if he were to appear at a shoot with a well performing boxlock Greener. A poor shot with no credibility would be "undergunned" with a high condition Boss. Just my opinion, because I'm probably not going to get into the conflict. I'll be here at home.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"And many German collectors prize them above anything British(like Kuchenreuter)."
I would think they would Robert - being German collectors and all.
The guns from the crypto-obscure makers are a hardnut to peg for stardom, as they just fade away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell, you're pretty close to it. I probably put too much on the gun, in either a positive or negative way, and I'd consider the SW more a badge of my honour or loyalty, at least. And it is romanticism, preferring our guns to the better ones but, as I said on another thread, my 12 A&E is one of my go-to guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Credibility is what the vanity set goes for, the old boy who's in the field day after day - week after week doesn't place much on credibility. 'cept at the bank and farmer's supply.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tell you what King....your spot on!
My American guns, what they are, are the light of my life!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sign of my dedication that I can pronounce Luciano Bosis let alone recognize one a blind taste test. The best must be among the ones I have the glossy brochures for. How bout y'all. Tripping over beatupworkaday Bosises, are we?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure dem make a nice enuff gun dear ol' Rabbit!
Izzy French, or Italian?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
All the best

If this is true how do you explain Beretta the oldest manufacturing firm in the world? I think it can be safely stated that they have stood the test of time. What constitutes "best" in a shotgun also applies to other categories such as auto,wines,spirits and women* and,of course,is highly subjective and based upon everyones individual whims and predjudices.
With the resources Beretta has at its disposal they could build shotguns unrivaled by anyone else in the world should they chose to do so and have deep enough pockets so they could afford to sell them as loss leaders.
Jim
*My personal preferences are Porsche,Fine Bordeaux Wines,Single Malt Scotches and I'll skip over woman since this is a public forum.

So you like the Italian guns but the German Cars? What about Ferrari- not counting the ugly Enzo and F50, they make/made some beautiful cars.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love Italian guns (and gun salesmen). However, I am a bit bland on Italian cars. Everyone I have known who had a lot to do with Italian cars either kept them running or restored them for a living, a very good living. I can't remember anyone that I spent much time with who only spent money on them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I thought Italian, but so far from my experience, I'm not certain. I know I prefer Blue Cheese sometimes; Ranch others.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Redneck in clean clothes!! Imagine that. Come on, Jack, get back in gear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore,

In those days we were shooting NSSA targets at Andrews AFB, and the Harry Wright up at Loch Raven I had an Alfa Romeo, though as I recall Bonnie Jean was usually driving it and I had the old Ford F100.

Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

StormGSP:
I have been a long term admirer of Italian cars from afar; Ferraris* in particular. However if I had to make a coast to coast trip I'd Select the Bentley mentioned above over a Ferrari every time if those were my only two choices. That's what they call in Statistics "Minimizing the Maximum regret". I've owned several German cars over the years from inexpensive(VW) to expensive(Porsche) ones and they have all been reliable.
But we digress: The "Best" double I own from a reliability perspective and a "Get er Done" capability ala Larry the cable guy is my 1923 vintage Sterlingworth. Oh: I own several more expensive guns but this Sterlingworth has never once let me down nor made a trip to the gunsmith for repairs in 40 years.

*How many of you would be prepared to spend around $3,000 on a "routine" service interval tuneup as I've been told this is what it runs at the Ferrari dealership??
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 06/11/07 08:20 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

wow this post has gotten interesting..I have no "British" best guns, I rather enjoy my lc smith 20 and fox 20 and 16..I prefer to spend my money on Mustangs (cars) and Harley's...and fly fishing and hunting trips..to each his own, thats a best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It was a Gene Hill essay that planted the sidelever Grant hammergun in my mind as 'the best' for me. It seemed I'd come up with this desire because of my good taste, breeding, etc, but recently I was re-reading Shotgunners Notebook and found the thought I'd repeated as my own. Gene's writing is so good and my memory is so bad, whose idea it was got mixed up.

I'm sticking with it, I think he was right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lets see now: Driving across the USA I would want a car bred for the Autobahn and tested on the Nurenburg Ring. But no low slung sporter with stiff suspension as they are too hard to get up out of or ride for long stretches with old legs stretched out like that - guess I would prefer a Mercedes AMG 12 cylinder sedan.
Best gun choice, since I see little point in spending $100,000 to get something designed to be understated I think a Filli Rizzini sidelock with bulino engraved vignettes covered with scroll on the rest of the metal plus the most extreme wood finished to show that wood (not some reddish brown varnish) to best advantage would suit my tastes. Actions the same as the English guns and finished every bit as well. But I could be sidetracked by a Lindner Daly Diamond Regent Grade in 20gauge however they are outside today's question.
Rifles are another story. Double rifles are nice but I see no point to a rifle if it isn't a one holer as in all bullets in the same hole. An American made bolt on the Mauser pattern as executed from scratch by Rudy Wells (late from Prescott, AZ) would satisfy my requirements for the Best.

Footnote:
All checkering to be done by Americans.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
StormGSP:
I have been a long term admirer of Italian cars from afar; Ferraris* in particular. However if I had to make a coast to coast trip I'd Select the Bentley mentioned above over a Ferrari every time if those were my only two choices. That's what they call in Statistics "Minimizing the Maximum regret". I've owned several German cars over the years from inexpensive(VW) to expensive(Porsche) ones and they have all been reliable.
But we digress: The "Best" double I own from a reliability perspective and a "Get er Done" capability ala Larry the cable guy is my 1923 vintage Sterlingworth. Oh: I own several more expensive guns but this Sterlingworth has never once let me down nor made a trip to the gunsmith for repairs in 40 years.

*How many of you would be prepared to spend around $3,000 on a "routine" service interval tuneup as I've been told this is what it runs at the Ferrari dealership??
Jim

No doubt the cost of upkeep is expensive, but if you can afford one, the fees are probably small in comparison. The Enzo's keep going up in value, as people keep wrecking them. I heard the cost of an oil change for an Enzo is $750. My favorite cars are Aston Martin V12 Vanquish, BMW M6, one of the new Maseratis- the name is escaping me. Anything is better than the car I got 2 days ago- its my first car a $1500 Kia- its pretty rough, but its got 4 wheels.

As far as best guns- i'll let those with more experience say something. I keep my goals small for the time being. My uncle has a number of bests from both Italian and British makers. I hope to see him around the 4th of July. Ill ask him.

Great Topic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
Lets see now: Driving across the USA I would want a car bred for the Autobahn and tested on the Nurenburg Ring. But no low slung sporter with stiff suspension as they are too hard to get up out of or ride for long stretches with old legs stretched out like that - guess I would prefer a Mercedes AMG 12 cylinder sedan.
Best gun choice, since I see little point in spending $100,000 to get something designed to be understated I think a Filli Rizzini sidelock with bulino engraved vignettes covered with scroll on the rest of the metal plus the most extreme wood finished to show that wood (not some reddish brown varnish) to best advantage would suit my tastes. Actions the same as the English guns and finished every bit as well. But I could be sidetracked by a Lindner Daly Diamond Regent Grade in 20gauge however they are outside today's question.
Rifles are another story. Double rifles are nice but I see no point to a rifle if it isn't a one holer as in all bullets in the same hole. An American made bolt on the Mauser pattern as executed from scratch by Rudy Wells (late from Prescott, AZ) would satisfy my requirements for the Best.

Footnote:
All checkering to be done by Americans.

I like your taste in cars- I saw two CL 55 AMG's today- I love those. I do, respectfully, disagree with you on the rifle comment. From a competition standpoint- I understand what you are saying, but for the hunter, it really isn't necessary to have a one holer. One of my favorite DRs was an incredible gothic piece with full engraving of Goblins and Dragons. I can't remember who the dealer was, but it was a helluva gun. I believe it was an H&H.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Odd lot here, you bat around names of world renown cars and such, but take a pass on the prestige of Boss, Purdey and Holland & Holland.
Makes you wonder hmmm?
If there was a door prize of a Purdey Extra Finish, and a Filli Rizzini, I'm betting 100% of the crowd will have their eye on the Purdey.
Bet!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unobtaineum cubed.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns of this price class must have more than fit and finish going for them - its the intangibles.
Is there a coffee table book to go along with your new Rizzini?

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 06/12/07 07:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is Gucci, Prada, Armani,......., and when the Romans had an empire the English had ......? Simply put, English culture is overrated in America. Anglo things represent "stale" boredom to me, and I'n not ready for the grave just yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since someone brought cars and other "bests" into this, I will have to go with the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO for my Best Euro car, 2007 Ford GT for Best American car, 2007 GMC for Best pick-me-up truck, a H&H 20g Royal, and finally ... drumroll please ... Paris Hilton for Best drama queen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CH - you will have to retract that last statement!! PH has announced that she is going to quit playing dubm!

Sidelock
Sidelock

when the Romans had an empire the English had ... mud huts and blue paint.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And when the Greeks had an empire, the Romans (if you care to call them that) had mud huts, but weren't yet up to blue paint. This goes on back a ways,too.

So, how come Egyptians/Hittites/Persian/Greeks/Romans/Arabs/Europeans didn't keep going with their empires?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will those Italian Shotguns ever talk...

http://www.traphof.org/roadtoyesterday/february-2005-.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a nice "car chat" this weekend with a shooting buddy who also is a Ferrari restorer, owner, and who has maintained large personal collections of Ferraris in this area. Yes, they are out there, not just in Southern California and Dubai. The $3000 tuneup estimate mentioned earlier is apparently for bottom feeders according to my friend. How front engine Ferraris are kept in proper running condition is beyond my comprehension. When this gentleman and I first met on the skeet competition circuit, he was shooting a tubed Model 96 Japanese Winchester and occasionally driving a front engine F car to the shoots. He and his clients would get a chuckle from this thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It was a good thing then, when "The Lord Protector" died in September of 1658, which caused parliment to restore the monarchy, and invite King Charles II back to merry England from exile in France. Because, Charlie had developed a love and knack for wingshooting while in exile, using French flintlock fowling pieces which were, at the time, LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything the English had at the time-the English usually shot birds on the ground, and usually missed them with their clunky frontstuffers.
Had it not been for the two French flintlocks coming back to England, I bet things would be far, far different today-look how long English makers stuck with muzzleloaders after everyone else went to breechloaders.
Any of you guys who crow about English guns have to keep in mind-they did it the same way Japanese did it with cars, by copying something else that was better than what they had.
Look it up.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Should you call it copying or improving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love that Ted! The english were the original Japanese!
And Lowell..There is hundreds of coffee table books on harleys and Old Mustangs..hmmmm....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only young punks consider Mustangs "old".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course those Italian shotguns will talk but you'll have to "capice Italiano"!

The $3,000 tuneup I referenced above was for a low end 328-V8 Ferrari. Any of the V12s would of course cost more.

If I had the resources to buy anything I wanted in a auto at this time it would be one of the new Ford GT40s. The originals were the bane of Ferrari back in the 60s particularly at LeManns.

My "best" English example is a high end Scott SLE that was made in 1898 making it 109 years old. I'd be hard pressed to come up with a feature on this gun that I would change today. How's that for staying power?

Jim

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just going back to the original post by ML... he asked what was considered the best side by side that is made in the world today.....today, not 100 years ago!..... and I will have to say again... Flli Rizzini R1
but you don't have to take it from me, even the people at CSMC agree here, and I think most of you will agree that they know a thing or two about shotguns, there are two on their website and advertised as "the best sxs on the market today" and if there is anyone who does not agree with that statement I'm sure Tony and his people could elaborate in detail as to why they advertised them as such

Best

CJ

Last edited by C. J. Opacak; 06/13/07 03:15 PM.

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice try, but please. That's called salesmanship. They're just saying that to justify the crazy prices they ask for them.

Those Rizzinis are over rated.

If I had to buy new, I'd rather have a Brown, a Peter Nelson, a Hartmann & Weiss, or something like that.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to recall reading similar remarks in Shooting Gazette or the Field regarding this brand. I don't recall they said it was clearly the best, but right there among the very best. Robb Report brand, that's for sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And modern English "Best" are not overrated?

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD wrote

"If I had to buy new, I'd rather have a Brown, a Peter Nelson, a Hartmann & Weiss, or something like that."

OWD

I guess then you would probably not own the best...

CJ

Last edited by C. J. Opacak; 06/13/07 03:52 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJ-

How many Rizzini R1s have you actually had in your hands?

Just curious.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure that there strains of Anti-Anglo in play here.
...but the things these lads pop in with!
The people at CSMC can't even tell you when your long overdue RBL is going to be shipped.
Piffle Mr.0pacak

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
I saw the Ford GT's at a carshow in L.A. and they impressed me. If I had a lot more disposible income, I'd have to have one too. But this is like dreaming about the girlies on Baywatch, ain't it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
I saw the Ford GT's at a carshow in L.A. and they impressed me. If I had a lot more disposible income, I'd have to have one too. But this is like dreaming about the girlies on Baywatch, ain't it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck H
I live in Scottsdale. I see dream material every day both of the metal and flesh variety: Here's a link to our newest and most dubious web site: I doubt if our C of C has put their stamp of approval on it! BTW: I expect this is the only City in the USA with 200,000 residents and two Ferrari dealerships.

http://www.dirtyscottsdale.com/

Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 06/13/07 05:11 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like southern Orange County where the kids wear more jewelery than Mr. T and drive better cars than W. I also noted a deceptively high percentage of blonds in the pics. All "natural" of course.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I could live with a D. M. Brown and easily accept that there are BEST-er.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose since my wife accepted me as the "best" I could accept that the highest quality gun currently in my safe is a "best" gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I wanted a fine new gun I would buy NEW Watson Bros. O/U with their proprietary ejector system. London "Holy Trinity" doen't even elicit fart from me. Matter of fact, I don't care for Italian guns either. They usually come with that marbled gigolo wood, no thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PJ, how about a spanking new Teuton "Kuchenreuter" for your cabinet?
Perfect for the giant mountain grouse!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck H:
Of course they're all natural blonds. And additionally there all naturally endowed. In my next life I'm going to become a plastic surgeon specializing in implants here in Scottsdale. That way I'll be able to afford the "Best" in everything.
But we digress again. IMO: There is no one "Best" shotgun old or new any more that there is a "Best" car or "Best" anything else.
It's all in your mind with your own unique preception of what constitutes "Best".
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

LG, it handles nicely and cost $2200. Equivalent BLE (with better wood finish & flowery engraving) from NW of London would cost 3-4x more. Generic light 2&3/4" loads from Dick's, or Gander Mtn can be shot in that thing. I don't mind it being ugly it's not like the thing is going to bare my children.
PS. It would probably cost a lot more as my game gun in an O/U, and you know how much English ones cost.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best? How many on this board actually own one newly made for them by H&H, Purdey or Boss?
I might be wrong, but the only monsieur I can think of is a businessman from MT who had .500NE 3" droplock made for him. Not London-made but still impressive 80k gun.
PS. I do realize that most of these folks don't give a .... about the internet or this board.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Come on ItalianSxS, lets not embarass Arizona any further by telling outsiders such an egocentric materialistic city managed to get established here. It should have been west of the San Andreas fault so it could move along with the rest of the Peoples Republic of Kallifornia.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only young punks consider Mustangs "old"
Pete, Nice Moronic post...
Chuck H, Should have bought the Ford gt when it first came out for 145k..one went for 225k on Barrett Jackson..I drove the new Shelby 500gt...its alot of fun..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah Jerry:
But they still issue concealed carry permits here unlike the Democratic Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. Of course some of our residents as depicted on the above site would be hard pressed to conceal a toothpick!
IMO: The new Ford GT40 will be a million dollar car in the years to come!
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neatest car was my 1928 Mod A truck with skis & halftrack. Too bad I sold it before I got my Russian Maxim. Would have looked great in the truck bed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony White makes a fine new ble gun that would be more in line with most incomes.
I'm an A to B driver, and as cheaply as possible too...Toyota Carolla is my best!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 06/14/07 07:31 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend who can afford either, decided to continue to make his Corvette go faster rather than go for the new GT40. He made the decision based, he claims, on the fact that his Corvette is faster. In my opinion, that is a crazy way to make that decision. I agree with Jim, in a few years, the 40 will be a high six figure car when the Vette is a teenager's toy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here in the woods, I can't believe what I'm reading about car prices. Has the world gone mad? A motor vehicle to me is A to B, not lucre and testosterone--of which I now have none.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, down here we have given up driving, so we can afford more expensive cars. No insurance, no tags, no fuel, and they last forever. I think we're about ready to convert to the Canadian system of gasoline dispensing so the price will look more reasonable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Works on the sign, but the bottom line is the same ten minutes later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I kinda shocked myself the other day at making a mental note of having dispensed 13 gallon and 2 cups full into my car.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
A friend who can afford either, decided to continue to make his Corvette go faster rather than go for the new GT40. He made the decision based, he claims, on the fact that his Corvette is faster. In my opinion, that is a crazy way to make that decision. I agree with Jim, in a few years, the 40 will be a high six figure car when the Vette is a teenager's toy.

It may be a 6 figure car in the future, but I find them kinda ugly. I have only seen one on the road, and I was under impressed with its looks. Now if someone wanted to give me one, I certainly wouldn't turn it down, but for that money there are plenty of other cars out there.

Alex

Sidelock
Sidelock

ItalianSxS, saw one of your Ford GT's on the 101 being driven by a guy as his commuter. As he looked up at my 10 year old 4x4 covered in desert pin stripes next to him I could see the fear well up in his wallet as he contemplated the severe financial trauma the most minor contact would have caused. Wonder what they might call the psycosis induced by visions of flying gravel off construction vehicles. Bet he looks good on the photo radar though! It is apparent some Scottsdale drivers think the photo radar is a professional scout for NASCAR.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 06/14/07 02:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore:
Funny you should bring up Corvettes. That's what I'm currently driving at least occasionally. I only fill it about every two months since I've retired.
I owned and operated a video production company until I retired. Each year there in a 70 mile closed "race" held in Nevada. This is a timed race on a public road. A customer of mine modified the special ZF transmissions used by a client in his Corvette in this race. The Corvette could hit speeds up into the 220 range and I seen the video to prove it. If memory serves me correctly they were covering the 70 miles in under 20 minutes!
The GT 40 at least IMO has to be one of the most beautiful cars of all time. I seriously doubt if Ford will ever build them again. My favorite shotguns at least from a beauty perspective are the Dicksons from Scotland.
Jim
Jim

ML Offline OP
OP Offline

Please give me a Star for starting this post.

M.L.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ML
Please give me a Star for starting this post.

M.L.

What kinda knives you make?

ML Offline OP
OP Offline

I mainly make fixed blade knives, but do make a few folders mainly tit. liner locks with ivory handles. Made to the customers pattern or mine. Use ATS-34 most of the time. My knives are in use from here to Africa to down under. I like to make knives that will be used and not looked at.

Regards
M.L.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Best Side by Side of the world is Holland & Holland Royal Ejector gun and with traditional Renessance large scroll engraving.
Ideal design and handling, brilliant simplicity of all parts and especially of AB Ejector and marvelous safety.
Among all 3 best London makers of the best SxS, H&H Royal is the most reasonable.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry:
A picture of that GT 40 driver would have been priceless. For those unfamiliar with Arizona, Route 101 is a bypass that goes thru Scottsdale. The posted speed limit is 65mph and photo radar kicks in at 76mph. They clocked one driver doing in the 140s, several doing 100+ and some female mortgage rep. got over 70 photo radar tickets earlier this year. She claimed she thought they were just warnings so she thru them in the trash.
As a side note: I can tell you the reason why Danica Patrick hasn't won an IRL race is she isn't putting in enough lap time on 101 when she's at home here. There has to be more exotic cars on the road in Scottsdale then anywhere else in the world.
I was in Germany in early May and I can tell you I see more Porsches here in a day then I would see in Germany in a week.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
There has to be more exotic cars on the road in Scottsdale then anywhere else in the world.

H*ll know what is Scottdale, never heard of it, probably the hole in the ground, but all exotic cars today are in Moscow in downtown and at the Rublevskoe high road settlement, where the speed depends on size of your wallet only. You, Jim, are retrograde now.
Any way you can't take all these useless toys with you in grave.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know about exotic cars Geno; But the Russians have re-discovered WW II militaria with a vengance. They're buying up everything they can at the shows.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alex, I don't know how many 40s there are in New England, but we saw one on the road when we were in Stamford, CT for the gun show. There may have been a Ford show in the area because about the same time, we passed a big block Cobra just lopping along like the 40. We don't see much iron like that in D.C. other than the occasional F car checked out of the Marriot stable for a test run. Lots of shotguns nearby however.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Been sit'n to the side on this one .. & enjoying the ramble & banter, all in perfectly good fun. Saw a new GT40 at the Home Depot last weekend & it had a small crowd, inclusive of many of the store's staff, near orgasim, standing around it. Thot to wait & see what the owner needed so badly that he parked it in a lot where an encounter with a grocery cart or steel platform dolly was not out of the question, but had erands of my own to tend to. It was mighty pretty what with its red calipers & all. Guess that's the up scale version of 'rims' these days, heh? .. red calipers.

Going back to the original question and not arguing nor taking away anyone elses honest commentary & opinions, several names come to mind, none well known ...

* Toschi [Italian]

* Vendrix [Belgian]

* Cordy [Belgian, in an O/U config, 20ga., even]

and, of course there is Tony Galazan [American] ... a maker whose S/L product is right in there with any of the 'others' mentioned by others and also quite easily yet another 'best' ... and in the scheme of things, rather insufficiently appreciated for the value provided in today's market.

Thankfully, there are patrons who can and do support the better craftsmen in a number of places, and we all benefit from their efforts and their products. 'Bests' have a way of standing on their own. Design is but one component, execution is another. Taste is another matter altogether, but we shan't visit that just now. I have seen 'names' that were, sadly, less than perfectly executed and and others that were most certianlny nothing but 'best' and I have seen some less than well known names that were as perfect as one might reasonably ever ask. Please see above.

I'll give ya that star, ML. Good of you to stir the pot w/your question.

Leaf springs, old saw blades and even files make pretty good fixed blade working knives too, but a lot depends on who was doing the work and how they got tempered or forged into their new form. Post a pic or two of your work or a link when you can, sounds most interesting. I might even get to where I 'need' one ;-), ya know? I got good friends that are Okies, and they are solid. 'Nuff said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alex, I don't know how many 40s there are in New England, but we saw one on the road when we were in Stamford, CT for the gun show. There may have been a Ford show in the area because about the same time, we passed a big block Cobra just lopping along like the 40.

Eightbore, there's a retro car hop type breakfast place in Stamford in the vicinity of the Marriot and every weekend cars show up from all over the area to cruise, hang, be seen.

Up the road in Danbury,CT there's one every Sunday morning for bikes. 3-4 times a year they hold a "Super Sunday" when 15-20,000 bikes show up. Gets noisy.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

My vote goes to the new Purdy 12 guage hammer gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SoCal is the exotic car capitol of the world. It's just that they're spread across an area over 100 miles north to south and 100 miles west to east. Scottsdale has them all in a 10 block area.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's also the "birthplace" of .700NE a la Holland & Holland. The Big White Hunter had 50+ Double Rifles and he wanted something bigger then .600NE.
Not very handy in the field, but I heard that with 1000 grain 'Monolithic' it can do a first rate job on Ferrari engine block!

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a couple of Ford GTs over by BC - or at least I've seen a couple different ones on the road over there. One was red, another look like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-FORD-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

I also saw an all black one about a month ago in downtown Boston.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The one picture above is in the classic Gulf colors from the original GT 40s racing days in the 60s. For those that don't know the "40" denotes the cars height in inches. Incidentially the new ones aren't dimensionally exactly like the originals. They stretched the new ones a bit.
One of the employees at the SGC is a sniper team leader just back from Iraq. He told me that they would place a Barrett 50 cal in a strategic location where they had a roadblock set up. If a vehicle tried to make a run for it;one well placed shot thru the engine block was enought to stop them. However; The standard sniping rifle is still the Remington M24 in 308.
This thread is taking on a life of its own!!
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

If money was no object the Saleen s7 would be in my garage.
A Jesse James Chopper would sit next to it.
My 15 year old pointer would live forever.(and hunt like he was 5), I would have CSMC build me a fox 20 and matching 28, (hate to pay for a "brit" name)
And I would have The Boo Boys build me a bamboo rod..(can never have to many bamboo fly rods)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alex, I don't know how many 40s there are in New England, but we saw one on the road when we were in Stamford, CT for the gun show. There may have been a Ford show in the area because about the same time, we passed a big block Cobra just lopping along like the 40. We don't see much iron like that in D.C. other than the occasional F car checked out of the Marriot stable for a test run. Lots of shotguns nearby however.

As I said I have only seen 1 on the road. I saw a Bently earlier today, a Ferrari yesterday (new couldn't tell what model), and 2 or 3 days ago I saw 3 CL's in one day on the road. Two of them were AMG's. There are lots of nice cars in this area. I see a Bently GT everyweek or so. I LOVE those!
One of my buddies lives in Greenwich, CT. With all the Hedgefunds there, there are a TON of nice cars.

Alex

Sidelock
Sidelock

chux, your "ifs" seem to be into the uppity brand names hmmmm.
Stand and be counted ol' bean! - how about a generic - mass produced, but pristine St. Louis Hardware Store gun?
Thats about as Anti-Anglo as it gets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best boo maker is Ron Kusse. He used to be the #1 man at Leonards

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 'Anglaise a Bouquets' SLE a la Georges Granger is about as anti-Anglo as it gets being made across La Manche und all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, hard to beat a Clark south creek limited....
Lowell..you must have missed the "if money was no object part" the part about my pointer living forever would be my first wish..even over the car..and unlike "inexpensive" guns shooting as well or better then guns costing 4 or 5 times more, i have yet to feel a cheap bamboo rod cast like a well made one.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

These are pipedreams chux, and altho' you'd "hate to pay for a Brit name", you've rattled off a few pricey brand names yourself - can't have it both ways ol'chap!
Pipedreams in, most likely not a man here waiting to take delivery on his new Boss 20b o/u.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the Allegheny mountains the American gunsmiths were building muzzleloaders through the 1800's and even into the 1900's. At that early age the muzzleloaders were way more powerful than the breechloader and out in the west were exactly are you going to find shells for your rifle or shotgun. On the Little Bighorn expedition a relative of Custer held out a new Colt peacemaker for a Times reported to inspect. His first question; where do find ammunition for this thing out here? The answer was he had a cap and ball revolver with loose ammunition in his saddle bag. Some Bedford county gunsmiths were building flintlocks into the 1880 and 90's.
If someone thinks that when the breechloaders appeared everyone trashed their muzzleloaders to buy them better think again!! It took along time for people to be convinced especially in the remote areas.
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first ammo only fired 50% of the time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, quite a few muzzleloading hammer Purdey's, Boss guns, and other English bests at The Little Bighorn. I've no doubt "Liver Eatin" Johnson owned a pair of best's that he used to strike fear into the indians he encountered. The early, unsettled American west was, of course, where those English best's were marketed, and where they sold the most of them. Thousands, no doubt. The wagon trains were full of stinking rich American settlers on the way out west to open new bank branches, and needed best bird guns to help slay the buffalo. Any day, we can expect to see pictures of the hammer, muzzleloading Parker Invincable they built so many copies of.
Good Lord, 1958, pay attention. The English CLUNG to muzzleloaders until economics forced them to build breechloaders, and forced them later to move the hammers inside. The best builders were especially myopic to this technological change. This is a historical fact. What poor people did in the countryside of the United States with Kentucky rifles has nothing to do with the discussion.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell,
NO pipedreams, You can get a wonderful bamboo fly rod for 2k..i have several..cant get a brit best for that.. for the Bike, I build them myself.. cant now or will ever to be able to afford a 250k car..But I am very happy with my Mustangs...Life is best lived to the fullest and out of debt..

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's the best sxs in the world? That's easy. Mine.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.