March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, canvasback, SKB, Ted Schefelbein), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 47 of 73 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 72 73
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful Fabbri Mel, just beautiful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another glorious morning well spent in the longleaf pine and wiregrass of Southwest Georgia. But hunting wild birds was bit slow this morn. 3 pairs of hunters spread across the property for a half day hunt. 2 of the groups found 1 covey each and 1 group found 4 coveys. We found one nice covey and had some decent dog work. I thought the conditions would have provided more birds but I guess that's hunting. We ended the morning at the old farmhouse for sandwiches and relaxation.

I used my Dickinson Plantation Grade .410 and was very pleased. I think its going to become my go-to quail gun.

In the field

The quail rigs

Point!

Copper on the retrieve

Yours truly with my Dickinson 410 and the mornings bag

Sidelock
Sidelock

New Year's Eve morning on the L 'Anguille River near Caldwell, AR. Grandson Jackson (of dove shooting fame wink ) and I after his first foray into the waters of the L 'Anguille after mallards. He was shooting a 390 Beretta, I was using my 32" Super Fox with #4 HeviShot Classic Doubles loads. They work really good over dekes, I went 4 for 4 that morning with it.

Next morning, New Year's Day, we waded into a flooded milo field and threw out a couple dozen dekes, then backed into the edge of the timber. Jackson with a handful. He was shooting the 390 with RIO Blue Steel #4s. I was using my old 30" BSS with #4 RIOs in the right and #2s in the left. Yes, it's unloaded and No, it's not pointing at his head.

Yesterday morning was slower, four of us only managed to fool 5 into range and killed them all. Here's the floating blind's kitchen.

Part of the shooting area.

And a view from a shooting hole of the layout and hole, looking north.

Best part was that I got to spend three days and nights with my oldest grandson. What a blessing that was to me. I'm very thankful. I apologize if my post is too lengthy.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/03/16 04:44 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. Neat pictures of you and your grandson. Today is our last day of the season. Depression is already setting in so I cleaned and oiled all of my shotguns this afternoon. See ya'll next season. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wyobirds
This time of the year when chasing mountain grouse a fly rod or two is a good idea. 16 GA # 2 AyA an a 28 GA Parker Repro 2 bl. set. Fly rods are built on Sage blanks and have local Juniper handles. No they are not slippery, primarily due to the full wells grips.

Most would term your flyrod's grips as reverse half wells rather than full wells.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, well this will be the last picture I post as our upland season ended today. We went out and got skunked royally! Saw a couple birds, but nothing to bust a cap on. Wish could have closed the year with a bird or two, but still we were able to get out from the opener to the end. It was a good season, not great, but good. Had some memorable days and some not so memorable. But that's hunting. It was a safe season, no close calls or incidents, I'm thankful for that. The most important thing was I was able to get out and was able to hunt with my boys. I consider myself to be very blessed with them and where I live. I just want to thank God and St Hubert for another year in the field.

My three best hunting partners, bar none! Jim, Will and Raina.

Until later, for those of you who can still hunt, I trust you'll have a great and safe rest of the season!

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dang Stan, what a nice report. Thanks for the great pics. You're going to fool around and talk me into working out a rendezvous up there next season. Maybe.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, you could have gone on for several pages about that hunt as far as I'm concerned. A great trip with one of your favorite folks for sure. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice Stan! I thought about you when joe and I went duck hunting with SXSs a couple weeks ago. We hoped for some greenheads but only saw woodies. Guess the weather was too warm to send any down. Still had a good shoot and limited out. I used my Miroku and joe used his Parker. I wish I'd taken pictures.

And Greg, I hate to your season has come to a close. I always enjoy your posts and the wide variety of guns you hunt with. If you get the itch to come down South to escape the cold, you have an open invitation for Georgia quail hunt.

Adam

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan, those pics are just great! What a wonderful set up! Would be nice to hunt from something like that. Here all we do is plank our ass down on the shore and wait in the cold. My hats off to you for hunting with your grandson....ah the memories.

Good show old boy!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 47 of 73 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.