April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lawrence Kotchek, SKB, Jimmy W, Mark Larson, UncleKP, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello again Keith,
The gun is a William Horton, Glasgow. The top rib address dates it to 1900-1913ish. I have a selection of pics ,if you provide a contact email I can send to you.
cheers

mrwmartin

NA
keith #431360 01/04/16 06:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
I would think that a toplever spring in that particular location would interfere with the safety pushrod which is typically found directly under the topstrap. Also, if it was a peg hole for the toplever spring, one leg of the spring would bear upon the underside of the toplever, and the other leg would also have to bear against something in order to create spring tension to return the toplever to center. What would there be in this location to bear against besides wood? While I certainly haven't seen every shotgun action design in the world, I would be very surprised if this hole had anything to do with a toplever spring. I also agree that it is not an oil hole.

Hi Keith,

All of my British guns have Greener lever work, and this gun has a Scott Spindle, so I am not sure about this one. But on mine the top lever spring is situated with the narrow portion of the V to the rear. The right leg of the spring is fitted into a slot in the back of the action body, and the left leg acts upon a lobe projecting from the top lever mechanism. The pin (peg) serves to keep the rear of the spring properly located.

And on my modest quality guns, the safety push rod lies under the top lever spring, and it returns the safety button to the 'safe' position by contacting the rear surface of the under bolt when it is retracted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

redoak, I could see how that would work. Thanks for telling me about it. Most toplever springs that I am familiar with have pretty short limbs, and are not located directly under the topstrap, so this seemed a bit unlikely to me. But I'm always willing to learn something. I still can't understand why the maker would have made the spring peg hole clear through the topstrap. Understandable on a cheap gun perhaps, but this one looks like it has some quality. I hope Mr Martin gets the gun and we eventually get the answer.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #431376 01/04/16 09:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith,

I do not understand the hole coming thru the top either.

But the location suggests to me that it is a top lever peg hole.

Perhaps Toby had the answer, that the top of the peg is supposed to be flush with the top of the strap. And in this case, maybe it has slipped down out of position a bit.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all,
The gun is soon to be sent to my local firearm dealer for a 72 hour inspection period. I showed the dealer(a friend with many years experience of British guns) the photo.His first thought is in agreement with those of you above re the top lever spring peg theory.He demonstrated with springs and parts in his workshop, I now understand the possible scenarios.He agrees they are almost exclusively blind but has seen,in the past, pins through and flush with the strap(similar to the pin at the rear of safety in photo) We will hopefully have the answer soon(and hopefully a relatively easy fix). Many thanks to all, mrwmartin

Last edited by Mr W martin; 01/05/16 02:21 PM.
keith #431452 01/05/16 03:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
I would think that a toplever spring in that particular location would interfere with the safety pushrod which is typically found directly under the topstrap. Also, if it was a peg hole for the toplever spring, one leg of the spring would bear upon the underside of the toplever, and the other leg would also have to bear against something in order to create spring tension to return the toplever to center. What would there be in this location to bear against besides wood? While I certainly haven't seen every shotgun action design in the world, I would be very surprised if this hole had anything to do with a toplever spring. I also agree that it is not an oil hole.

The spring would bare against the lever boss or cam one one side and locate in a slot in the back of the action on the other limb or as on a Purdey or Greener the spring has a hole at the end of the limb and is held in place with a screw into the strap..

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all,
Still awaiting delivery of the gun.I have found (on an American website) a photo of Horton gun with the pin head clearly showing, albeit on the left side of top lever.
I am attempting to post a clear and large photo.
cheers
mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

here's Mr. Martin's other Horton

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you kindly,
mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr Martin, (oops, Freudian slip..no bovver,lol)
So that looks like a wee screw for sure, but as you said, on the other side.
So does that mean the gun your getting has lost its screw, it would seem so ?
You'd think that would make something not work properly...
Hope its nothing major...those Hortons look like nice guns..
thank you for those e pics
& hope its a keeper mate,
cheers
franc

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.