March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

These single barrel trap guns were made in significant numbers and sell for short money unless extremely high grade. Convert one into a game gun. Some have been significantly modified and can be shortened in the barrel and screw chokes installed. I have a very nice Parker single barrel "game gun" with a Cutts Compensator on a shortened barrel. Very handy and versatile. I also have a very nice Francotte single barrel with safety that is a great game gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For a game gun I think most guys would prefer at least two shots. JMHO Maybe why you don't see high end single shot shotguns for hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a English made (J & W Tolley) single barrel game gun in 12 gauge that I love. Open chokes, light weight. A great ruffed grouse gun.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

A single barrel game gun is for those who wish to intentionally challenge themselves. Same as those big game hunters who choose to limit themselves to a single shot. Not something you can explain to those who do not understand.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the topic of single game guns. Wow. Want!
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101341895

Sidelock
Sidelock

A co-worker & I once went on a dove shoot over a cornfield that had been chopped for silage. It was too crowded so we did not stay for a long time. There was one place in the field where two or three stalks had been left standing & not chopped. A gentleman was set up in these stalks with a single barrel. From the distance we were could not see it in great detail, but could see it had an external hammer. appeared on the order of an older H&R Topper or IJ Champion, nothing special. During the time we were there I saw him kill close to a half dozen doves with as many shots. Most of these had been missed numerous times as they had come down the fence row on the far side of the field from us & then veered across those standing stalks. He needed neither a pump, semi-auto nor even a double to get his birds, just a shot.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

My friend Stan describes shooting birds with a single barrel gun "a challenge". He is giving us too much credit. A single shot at a dove or a pheasant is somewhat less than a challenge. It is "all you need". I would love to shoot a dove field with Stan, both of us using single barrel guns. I'm sure he and I would do just fine. Your friend, Murphy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since our quail numbers are so low in the Texas Panhandle this year my “go to” gun has been a cheap English 16 gauge hammer single shot weighing 4 1/2 pounds. Also have been using black powder to spice things up. The little gun does add a new dimension to the uplands. Even with its 28” damascus barrel the gun has zero momentum and the slightest jerk or wobble guarantees the bird wins. What great fun! Must say though I’m seldom embarrassed at the end of a day.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
My friend Stan describes shooting birds with a single barrel gun "a challenge". He is giving us too much credit. A single shot at a dove or a pheasant is somewhat less than a challenge. It is "all you need". I would love to shoot a dove field with Stan, both of us using single barrel guns. I'm sure he and I would do just fine. Your friend, Murphy.

I earnestly hope we get that opportunity, Bill. As for me, I will use my Iver Johnson Special Trap, with one ounce loads. The ejector on it isn't working properly right now, but that will be corrected.

Your old friend, Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Using a well balanced single shot would very likely greatly improve my shells to Dove ratio. I'd like to try with one of these --

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.