March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#434254 01/27/16 05:29 PM
bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been looking at an old british made shot gun with damascus barrels recently. The dealer is reluctant to sell me the gun as it is damascus and he doesn't want to be liable if there is a failure and i get injured. There are no gunsmiths i can ask to check the barrels out and looking online for what to look out for is a fools errand eg. "damascus barrels lose strength every year even if they are not shot".

The gun is in excellent condition with no corrosion. The barrels are not pitted, dented, rivelled or corroded. The only thing i can do is measure the barrel wall thickness, but can i use penetrant dye as used in weld tests, or ultrasound to find cracks or rokes ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of people on here seem to shoot them without issues and I have become a recent convert.

It seems like the original quality of the damascus and wall thickness are the most important factors, moreso even than the things you conventionally look for like bore condition.

Dr. Drew's link above is extremely informative and a great starting point.

bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for that Drew, interesting reading.

bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dan, yes i believe a lot of people still use damascus, and why not of course ? If they are in good condition, then use them, there is a haze of urban (and rural) myths about damascus though.
Another thing i considered was an informal proof test, using modern 2 1/2" cartridges, of course if i did that and the barrels gave up, i'd have forked out for a useless gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It has been shown repeatedly that, all things being equal, damascus is every bit as strong and usable as the steel of the time, sometimes rather better!
When you buy a late 1800's gun with steel barrels do you crack test them? I suspect not, yet the steel barrels that predate Whitworth's fluid steel process were no better than the damascus they were competing with.
The big advantage of damascus is that IF it bursts, it tends to 'birdcage' ie unravels along the weld joints, rather than turning into a hand-grenade as does steel.
I am perpetually amazed at what damascus will put up with. I have successfully reproofed damascus guns down to 0.014" MWT (not that I would recommend it but the gun had to be in proof to export and it was a family heirloom).
And I regularly successfully nitro reproof damascus down to 0.020" MWT and below. Rivelling is the big problem, not bursting.
I often wonder if the occasional stories that one hear of burst barrels are more to do with poor homeloads, obstructions in barrels and distracted shooters not checking their barrels between shots. And suddenly it is all the fault of the gun not the stupid a*** shooter.

bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Toby, are black powder cartridges available from any of the major uk makers ? I have been on several websites, lyalvale, hull, eley and i cannot see any listed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

bonny: where are you?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ireland ed

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
I often wonder if the occasional stories that one hear of burst barrels are more to do with poor homeloads, obstructions in barrels and distracted shooters not checking their barrels between shots. And suddenly it is all the fault of the gun not the stupid a*** shooter.

Amen! The one instance of damascus barrel failure, of which I have first hand knowledge, was just that ................ poor homelands (reloads). I tried to explain to the owner, beforehand, about pressures and certain powders and hulls, but to no avail. Chamber blew out. Classic results of an intensely high chamber pressure.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.