April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, Steve Nash, canvasback, cpa, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good morning all. I just won a 16 gauge SxS Gastinne Renette at an auction. I have not received the gun yet. I did some search here and learned that Gastinne Renette was a gunshop and not always a gunmaker firm. This is my first French gun. The gun is #2 of a pair. I learned that the proof marks are from the Paris proof house and it has the standard proof for finished guns. Chambers are 2.5" (65). Barrels are from Leopold Bernad. Any information you can provide me on Gastinne Renette, Leopold Bernard, and the proof marks would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. BillK

Sidelock
Sidelock

According to my proof book it has a "Voluntary provisional proof with a proof pressure of 14,223psi."

The other two side by side marks are described as "For a finished gun that underwent re-enforced proof." Later it gives a pressure for a 16 gauge with such proofs as 14,934psi.

Overall it's a bit confusing, I'm certain others know far more, especially about Paris proof marks.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/30/16 10:02 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a great looking gun. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

The EP in an oval is standard proof for barrels "completely finished inside and outside, except the last internal polishing". Pressure is listed as 14,200 psi. However, that's based on information back when they were still measuring pressure with lead crushers (LUP in some older reloading manuals) rather than electronic transducers, which is the current method. So it's more like 15,000+ psi. The mark repeated twice on each side of the flats is definitive black powder proof for a gun in a finished state. Special proof because it's repeated: 11,400 psi (which would again be 12,000+ the way we currently measure pressure).

Canonnier a Paris means barrelmaker in Paris. Leopold Bernard was probably the premier French barrelmaker back then.

What I don't see is a star over P plus another letter, which would indicate the type of smokeless powder used in the proof. Should be there, according to my source, for a gun any newer than about 1896. Not sure why it's not there. Anyone else?

It does look like a nice gun in very good condition, albeit a bit plain considering it's #2 of a pair.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any clue as to the maker? The best of Gastinne guns were sidelocks made by Granger, in my opinion. However, the Granger guns I have examined were easy to identify from markings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BillK,

That's a nice 16GA you won! I've never seen a forearm with that style of latch in the front. Could you post some close ups?

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

A 16 gauge would ordinarily have bores around 16.8mm. (.6614"). The 16.0 mark indicates a bore diameter of .630". That's pretty tight for a 16 gauge.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been to Gastinne Renette in Paris a number of times. It is on rue de Franklin Roosevelt next to one of the finest restaurants in Paris. GR used to make guns (some of very high quality), but like many famous Brit 'gunmakers' it is now a retailer of trade built guns, country fashions, etc. They do have a very nice gun room - two, actually.

I do not know whet ether they actually made your gun, more likely that they outsourced the gun. When I was last there, P. Arrizabalaga was making guns for them in Spain.

That is a nice, interesting gun.

Last edited by Chukarman; 01/30/16 04:45 PM.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Even "back in the day", Gastinne Renette sold guns they didn't make, or had made for them in France. Not at all unusual to see Belgian proofs on a GR-marked gun. But with the Bernard barrels and Paris proofs, this one goes back far enough that it's much more likely that GR played a hand in building it as well as selling it.

I had one GR-marked OU--very nice gun--based on the Petrik design. That's the original design of the OU's with a sliding breech hood which Remington used for the Model 32; Krieghoff since then. The difference with the Petrik OU's is that they were often quite light and designed as field rather than target guns. There's a 16ga on the Safari Outfitters website currently. 28" barrels, weighs less than 5 1/2#.

BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for your input.
Is the number 1908 on the water table a year date or some type of a serial number?
I have not received the gun yet. I will post more detailed pics once I receive it.
BillK

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.