May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (battle, earlyriser, Der Ami, shrapnel, FallCreekFan, 1 invisible), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,525
Posts545,829
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore,

In those days we were shooting NSSA targets at Andrews AFB, and the Harry Wright up at Loch Raven I had an Alfa Romeo, though as I recall Bonnie Jean was usually driving it and I had the old Ford F100.

Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

StormGSP:
I have been a long term admirer of Italian cars from afar; Ferraris* in particular. However if I had to make a coast to coast trip I'd Select the Bentley mentioned above over a Ferrari every time if those were my only two choices. That's what they call in Statistics "Minimizing the Maximum regret". I've owned several German cars over the years from inexpensive(VW) to expensive(Porsche) ones and they have all been reliable.
But we digress: The "Best" double I own from a reliability perspective and a "Get er Done" capability ala Larry the cable guy is my 1923 vintage Sterlingworth. Oh: I own several more expensive guns but this Sterlingworth has never once let me down nor made a trip to the gunsmith for repairs in 40 years.

*How many of you would be prepared to spend around $3,000 on a "routine" service interval tuneup as I've been told this is what it runs at the Ferrari dealership??
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 06/11/07 08:20 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

wow this post has gotten interesting..I have no "British" best guns, I rather enjoy my lc smith 20 and fox 20 and 16..I prefer to spend my money on Mustangs (cars) and Harley's...and fly fishing and hunting trips..to each his own, thats a best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It was a Gene Hill essay that planted the sidelever Grant hammergun in my mind as 'the best' for me. It seemed I'd come up with this desire because of my good taste, breeding, etc, but recently I was re-reading Shotgunners Notebook and found the thought I'd repeated as my own. Gene's writing is so good and my memory is so bad, whose idea it was got mixed up.

I'm sticking with it, I think he was right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lets see now: Driving across the USA I would want a car bred for the Autobahn and tested on the Nurenburg Ring. But no low slung sporter with stiff suspension as they are too hard to get up out of or ride for long stretches with old legs stretched out like that - guess I would prefer a Mercedes AMG 12 cylinder sedan.
Best gun choice, since I see little point in spending $100,000 to get something designed to be understated I think a Filli Rizzini sidelock with bulino engraved vignettes covered with scroll on the rest of the metal plus the most extreme wood finished to show that wood (not some reddish brown varnish) to best advantage would suit my tastes. Actions the same as the English guns and finished every bit as well. But I could be sidetracked by a Lindner Daly Diamond Regent Grade in 20gauge however they are outside today's question.
Rifles are another story. Double rifles are nice but I see no point to a rifle if it isn't a one holer as in all bullets in the same hole. An American made bolt on the Mauser pattern as executed from scratch by Rudy Wells (late from Prescott, AZ) would satisfy my requirements for the Best.

Footnote:
All checkering to be done by Americans.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
StormGSP:
I have been a long term admirer of Italian cars from afar; Ferraris* in particular. However if I had to make a coast to coast trip I'd Select the Bentley mentioned above over a Ferrari every time if those were my only two choices. That's what they call in Statistics "Minimizing the Maximum regret". I've owned several German cars over the years from inexpensive(VW) to expensive(Porsche) ones and they have all been reliable.
But we digress: The "Best" double I own from a reliability perspective and a "Get er Done" capability ala Larry the cable guy is my 1923 vintage Sterlingworth. Oh: I own several more expensive guns but this Sterlingworth has never once let me down nor made a trip to the gunsmith for repairs in 40 years.

*How many of you would be prepared to spend around $3,000 on a "routine" service interval tuneup as I've been told this is what it runs at the Ferrari dealership??
Jim

No doubt the cost of upkeep is expensive, but if you can afford one, the fees are probably small in comparison. The Enzo's keep going up in value, as people keep wrecking them. I heard the cost of an oil change for an Enzo is $750. My favorite cars are Aston Martin V12 Vanquish, BMW M6, one of the new Maseratis- the name is escaping me. Anything is better than the car I got 2 days ago- its my first car a $1500 Kia- its pretty rough, but its got 4 wheels.

As far as best guns- i'll let those with more experience say something. I keep my goals small for the time being. My uncle has a number of bests from both Italian and British makers. I hope to see him around the 4th of July. Ill ask him.

Great Topic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
Lets see now: Driving across the USA I would want a car bred for the Autobahn and tested on the Nurenburg Ring. But no low slung sporter with stiff suspension as they are too hard to get up out of or ride for long stretches with old legs stretched out like that - guess I would prefer a Mercedes AMG 12 cylinder sedan.
Best gun choice, since I see little point in spending $100,000 to get something designed to be understated I think a Filli Rizzini sidelock with bulino engraved vignettes covered with scroll on the rest of the metal plus the most extreme wood finished to show that wood (not some reddish brown varnish) to best advantage would suit my tastes. Actions the same as the English guns and finished every bit as well. But I could be sidetracked by a Lindner Daly Diamond Regent Grade in 20gauge however they are outside today's question.
Rifles are another story. Double rifles are nice but I see no point to a rifle if it isn't a one holer as in all bullets in the same hole. An American made bolt on the Mauser pattern as executed from scratch by Rudy Wells (late from Prescott, AZ) would satisfy my requirements for the Best.

Footnote:
All checkering to be done by Americans.

I like your taste in cars- I saw two CL 55 AMG's today- I love those. I do, respectfully, disagree with you on the rifle comment. From a competition standpoint- I understand what you are saying, but for the hunter, it really isn't necessary to have a one holer. One of my favorite DRs was an incredible gothic piece with full engraving of Goblins and Dragons. I can't remember who the dealer was, but it was a helluva gun. I believe it was an H&H.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Odd lot here, you bat around names of world renown cars and such, but take a pass on the prestige of Boss, Purdey and Holland & Holland.
Makes you wonder hmmm?
If there was a door prize of a Purdey Extra Finish, and a Filli Rizzini, I'm betting 100% of the crowd will have their eye on the Purdey.
Bet!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unobtaineum cubed.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns of this price class must have more than fit and finish going for them - its the intangibles.
Is there a coffee table book to go along with your new Rizzini?

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 06/12/07 07:55 AM.
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.