April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, SKB, GETTEMANS, Hugh Lomas, 2 invisible), 431 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,808
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
When you're stressing something that's a 100+ years old It's just a matter of when....

I thought ferrous alloys didn't have a fatigue limit, doesn't that apply to damascus as well?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit

Sidelock
Sidelock

Should have qualified with not an engineer or metallurgist before I bite off more than I can chew. Genuine question.

bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Homeless joss, if the load steel is subjected to is 40% of the UTS of that steel, then there is no fatigue limit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As mentioned previously here is a link to a 2011 thread on Shotgun World that has a tremendous amount of solid information about Damascus barrels. Worth long read. This link picks up well into the discussion. If you're really into the subject go back and begin at page one.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=259371&start=40

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bonny
Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: bonny
Does anyone have a copy of the sherman bell article or articles in which he done those proof tests ?

I don't have copies, but I have the original printings in the DGJ. I'm sure many of us do. Wouldn't be surprised if you could still order he back issues from them.

SRH

Which issues were the articles in do you happen to know stan ?

Drew beat me to it, bonny. Thanks Rev. Been busy today.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but one question begs to be answered, IMO. If damascus barrels were so all fired dangerous, why wouldn't the proof houses refuse to prove them? They could just simply say that they do not approve of anyone shooting them, so will not accept them for proof testing. Yet, they don't.

Duh?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/31/16 05:15 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Joe, an interesting article, especially on that site, i thought "the big i am" would have appeared and scuppered the thread, or the usual lot of people with the " my brothers wifes uncles best friends next door neighbour told me about damascus barrels and they're weapons of mass destruction" crap. Sherman Bell certainly put up and shut up, did the work and didn't rely on heresay and myth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And in the end Sherman Bell only proved what the guns he tested did...

Sidelock
Sidelock

If damascus barrels were so all fired dangerous, why wouldn't the proof houses refuse to prove them?

A proof house is different than an American strapping an old gun to a tire and just seeing if it blows.....I'm sure some vintage guns fail proof and some they refuse to proof. Documented fact is some failed when they were sent for proof a 100 years ago.

When it comes to vintage guns damascus or fluid steel I don't think there's a blanket statement as to which are safe and which are unsafe.

bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
If damascus barrels were so all fired dangerous, why wouldn't the proof houses refuse to prove them?

A proof house is different than an American strapping an old gun to a tire and just seeing if it blows.....

Maybe not as different as you imagine Joe, its basically doing the same thing.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.