April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (Hoot4570, Borderbill, Dan R, eeb, 2 invisible), 249 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,768
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
And in the end Sherman Bell only proved what the guns he tested did...

I've heard that argument on a different forum (Sportsman maybe?) saying that Sherman Bell can only apply his results to those guns he tested and no others.

Don't know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go out to the garage.
now examine that big bright shiny lump sitting there.
It is a deadly dangerous killer.
More chance being maimed or killed by it than anything else.
Are you folk who are too scared to shoot Damascus guns still brave enough to drive ?
Even slowly or sensibly & safely ?
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Tundra shuts off at 112 mph....it will tow my Airstream at 90 mph with ease....and I feel like a super herO every time I shoot my 130+ year old damascus barreled Scott with heavy Nitro loads....

How's shooting a 100+ year old damascus gun make you feel Moses ?

Do you shoot light wimpy loads through yours or heavy manly nitro loads ?

Truth is I don't think anyone here is scared....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
Go out to the garage.
now examine that big bright shiny lump sitting there.
It is a deadly dangerous killer.
More chance being maimed or killed by it than anything else.
Are you folk who are too scared to shoot Damascus guns still brave enough to drive ?
Even slowly or sensibly & safely ?
O.M

OM,
Some folks are so cautious they miss out on life. Back in Oct my 16 yr old and I were on a hunting trip in west Texas and we had the 4 wheelers. Our stand is about 2-1/2 mile back on the lease. After the evening hunt, we played "tag" in the dark all the way back to the camp house. Thru the canyons there are 400 ft almost vertical drops right off the road. It was invigorating for an old man to say the least. Quite the ride. When we got to the camp house, our hearts were racing, we were smiling and laughing.
It is a memory that will last my son his lifetime. Smart? Nope.
Living life? Yep!

My point? A 14yr old young man was climbing a tree at the church with his friend. 7-8 ft off the ground, he slipped and fell, broke his neck and is now in a wheelchair. That young man would give anything to be able to "ride the edge thru the canyon".

My son and I are going skydiving in Sept for his 17th birthday.
I did it when I was a young man, and it is a cherished memory to this day.

All damascus barrels? Dangerous? Your joking right? smile
I'm going to shoot some Herters 1oz factory in my new to me 16ga Sterly..the horror.

Im sure a lot of you remember the movie Heat.
#1 "Stop wasting my MF time."
#2 "I could get killed for telling you this S#$%."
#1 "You could get killer walking your doggie."

Last edited by ithaca1; 02/01/16 10:54 AM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope it is clear that I/we are trying to help individuals make informed and rational decisions as to the use of ANY vintage barrel, Pattern Welded, Decarbonized or Fluid Steel, and the loads that might be appropriate. We all recognize that the man pulling the trigger is ultimately responsible for subsequent events. If we only shoot/hunt alone, we can use whatever shotgun and load we wish (if legal).
But most of us shoot clay targets with others, and hunt with a friend, son, grandson or granddaughter. We must ask ourselves what will be our explanation should a piece of shrapnel from our gun pierce the skull of a friend or grandson, leaving them paralyzed, mute, and bedridden the rest of his not-much-of-a life? And what is our plan to pay for the lost wages, pain & suffering, and life-time care?
Sorry to be a downer, but this is reality, esp. if we choose to use something "proven to be intrinsically dangerous". And I bet ol' Randy on ShotgunWorld would be happy to testify in the civil trial, which you WILL lose if no effort was made to determine the integrity of that Pattern Welded barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
I hope it is clear that I/we are trying to help individuals make informed and rational decisions as to the use of ANY vintage barrel, Pattern Welded, Decarbonized or Fluid Steel, and the loads that might be appropriate. We all recognize that the man pulling the trigger is ultimately responsible for subsequent events. And I bet ol' Randy on ShotgunWorld would be happy to testify in the civil trial, which you WILL lose if no effort was made to determine the integrity of that Pattern Welded barrel.

Exactly right Rev,
At the end where you say "pattern welded barrels", it should say the same as the beginning of you post, "ANY vintage barrel". To throw caution to the wind is irresponsible and just plain stupid. Just about as stupid as saying all damascus barrels are dangerous. Anyone who would not use calculated caution should probable find another hobby.

In all my vintage guns, steel or damascus, I shoot <6k psi in my 12's and <7K in my 20's. Except the Sterly. I have shot 8.2k in the damascus 20 and I'm comfortable with the results.
Barrels were checked by a competent smith for thickness. Most of my self imposed parameters have come from reading your works.

My boy means more to me than anything. Would I let him shoot my Damascus 20 or shoot skeet when I am shooting it? You bet! I feel I have done my due diligence with respect to my barrels.
Read, minimal, calculated risk.

Last edited by ithaca1; 02/01/16 05:20 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

After purchasing my older double, built 1935, my next purchase was a MEC reloading press and reloading manual.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Definitely hand in hand Treb! smile

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
My Tundra shuts off at 112 mph....it will tow my Airstream at 90 mph with ease....and I feel like a super herO every time I shoot my 130+ year old damascus barreled Scott with heavy Nitro loads....

How's shooting a 100+ year old damascus gun make you feel Moses ?

Do you shoot light wimpy loads through yours or heavy manly nitro loads ?

Truth is I don't think anyone here is scared....

My Damascus gun is 127 years old & has 2 1/2" chambers.
I shoot Mag-tec brass with 7/8 oz shot & 80 gr 2f black.

I make sure to regularly check the condition of the tyres on my Ford & service its brakes at regular intervals & drive it within its limits according to the conditions. Even though if I souped the motor & put big NITRO wheels on it we could go harder.

My auld g0n was designed & proofed for the type of load I shoot in it.
Because it is in g00d condition & the previous owner has shot 2 3/4" factory shells through it I have complete confidence in its safety.

Hot & heavy loads go out the end of a Mossberg 95 goose gun or a British double 3" chambered 30" barrelled live pigeon gun. Which, by the way, is over 100 years old.

Just as when I want to drive hot & hard I drive my Fiat 131 super brava with brake & tyre upgrades.

Horses for courses & the same reason we don't shoot at grizzlies & buffler with a 22lr.
Even up close
O.M

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.